Would like to get a listing directory discussion started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would like to get a listing directory discussion started

As many of you may know, the heralded DMOZ or Open Directory Project has lost it's focus. Editors are far and few and none in-between these days. One of our sites was able to get listed way back in early 2005, but, any submissions since then have been "black holed". I guess people don't work for free anymore. And all these volunteers are long gone....
    Just wondering how to get a recognized directory that many of the top search engines will deem valid.
    We have never listed with any "other" directory and were counting on organic search results, but, it's obvious that our earlier DMOZ listed store gets MUCH higher rankings than our NON DMOZ listed store.
    Just curious what you folks have in your business plan......
    Last edited by Mark; 01-07-2009, 11:38 PM.

Yes, the DMOZ project is dead.
    They have such old and irrelevant links and stuff and websites created with like Word or WordPerfect ugh!
    Dead, old links, etc.
    And, won't accept new entries. So how is this a benefit to the Internet community?!?
    I can't see the reasoning (or can't see the payoff) that is going on.
    In our consumer market, there are 10 listings.
    yes, 10.
    So, if you are searching for product like ours, this BIG, famous directory has 10 sites to choose from.
    Yet they wont accept a new entry in that category?!

So, I pose the question again, anyone know a directory that the search engines will even make a feeble attempt to include in their database?

Oh, and it's funny that nobody even really goes to a "directory" to search for products. They use "search engines".
    Last edited by Mark; 01-29-2009, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Last week I signed up to be an editor for the Cross Stitch part of the directory.

Of course I knew I could get my own site listed - but actually I thought it would be kind of fun - I used to be involved in a site called Expertsexchange.com - I was an MS Access expert and really enjoyed it.

Anyway - I put in my application to be an editor and was rejected within 10 minutes.

I have 6 years of experience in the cross stitch industry - along with intensive online experience and they didn't want the editor.

So - they aren't trying very hard to get volunteers - I've seen message boards where others have been rejected too. People are trying to help.
      C Ekman
      Owner/Designer: Cobweb Corner
      http://www.cobwebcorner.com

Comment

"I put in my application to be an editor and was rejected within 10 minutes."

:rolleyes:

If DMOZ wasn't Google's directory, I wouldn't want to be listed in it. :p

Comment

DMoz

I know its been forever since I last tried getting into Dmoz back in 2004
          submitted a site but of course in the cellular industry theres way to many sites so I gave up

was literally impossible to get traffic to a site tried the fraud heavy google adwords and other PPC

but since joining 3dcart Ive actually had more visitors (and sales) in the 3 weeks ive been working on the site (still adding models and product) in the 3 years with other providers

just the other day I got an email from esitesecrets.com regarding Dmoz perhaps the rest of you did also which is why were discussing Dmoz

anyways figured I would share
          http://esitesecrets.com/articles/125...ied/Page1.html

Hopefully you guys keep trying to get in and are accepted

Best of luck for a successful 2009 and beyond

Comment

thanks for the link.
            Unfortunately, that is the boilerplate text used about DMOZ that was written years ago. It's really not relevant anymore. However, this line is true: One thing to remember is that Dmoz is used by Google. "
            That's the issue.
            DMOZ is no longer what it was intended to be.
            And, as you can see above, the cross stitch category has no editor. Doesn't seem to want one either.

Comment

Dmoz

Dmoz seems to have lost sight
              back in the day.. (wow now I feel old)

anyways back in the Day they were THE directory to get into

anymore they seem to have lost relevance

and with google soon to roll out the new indexing system and ratings sytem I imagine it wont mean anything to have sites listed in DMOZ anymore

you both seem to have well laid out sites

I know absolutely nothing about cross stitching so....

but the site looks nice

I apolgize if it appears I am hijacking the thread but do either of you use or try IBP 9??

It helped me out a lot

cek I believe said he had little competition in DMOZ but what keywords is the competition using?

http://www.keywordspy.com/?pmc=adwor...FQ6jagodtU1cZg

I also use site submitter at least once a month to submit to lesser known directories and search engines takes a little longer but I feel its worth it

RDavis

www.firstsourcecellular.com

Comment

In my 2+ years of business I have tried to get listed on DMOZ. I have never received any form of response from them, postive or negative.

I still keep reading this is the place to get listed. But I don't have time to constantly hound them to be listed. It seems to me nothing is being done to list people, so...yeah.

Comment

It's quite evident the DMOZ project is a "pay per view".
                  Just curious, who do you pay? :confused:
                  I just wish Google would use a more contemporary directory.
                  Sorry cekman you were rejected. Obviously, you had nothing to contribute to the "human" directory" :rolleyes:

Comment

Still carries weight with Google. Best way to get into it is to apply for your local town or city. Google doesn't care where you are listed as long as you are listed.
                    Steve Teske
                    Director of eCommerce
                    Hogan Walker LLC
                    www.GreenFunStore.com
                    www.GreenPartStore.com
                    www.FarmFunStore.com
                    www.HoganWalker.com

Comment

Originally posted by deerefun View Post
                      Still carries weight with Google. Best way to get into it is to apply for your local town or city. Google doesn't care where you are listed as long as you are listed.

Steve,

Can you explain a little more about applying locally. I'm not following what you mean.

I too have tried unsuccessfully to get in DMOZ and it's just a "black hole". How will applying locally avoid the "black hole"? The application will face the same lack of attention, won't it?

Thanks,

Java

Comment

Interesting Article today in WebPro news about DMoz

Dmoz.org, also known as the Open Directory Project, is widely considered to be the mother of all directories. Well, that was the case at one time, anyway. Dmoz has dropped significantly in popularity over the years, and is the subject of much criticism by webmasters looking for inclusion. What do you think about Dmoz these days? Is it still valuable? Tell us what you think.

WebProNews publisher and iEntry CEO Rich Ord talked to Dmoz founder Rich Skrenta shortly after its 1998 launch. "Dmoz was originally launched as Gnuhoo which it then quickly changed to NewHoo. It was a directory that was for the people and by the people when it came out, so it was considered to be the answer to Yahoo's more closed directory," says Ord.

Now many users are taking issue with that "for the people" part, and the numbers reflect it. Looking at Compete data, Dmoz has declined sharply in unique visitors, visits, and page views over the last six or seven years. According to Compete, Dmoz hasn't had 3 million unique visitors in a month since March 2003, at which point it had over 15 million page views and over 3 and a half million visits. In April of 2009, the numbers read: over a million unique visitors, 10 million page views, and under 2 million visits.

Just over the past year, unique visitors and visits have seen significant decline.

Dmoz is looking for a little "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" as a recent post on the Dmoz Blog puts it. Editor glippitt talks about how Dmoz is still a valuable search tool. "Everybody loves Google, everybody loves Wikipedia - so why doesn't everybody love Dmoz? Many people might be quick to tear this question apart, but the post raises some thought-provoking points.

Dmoz isn't about replacing Google or Wikipedia. But this editor claims it has its place alongside them. "There's all sorts of relevant information to be found on the web, and the broader the topic the more useful Dmoz is," says glippitt. "Use it as one of your search vehicles and you may be surprised how much more efficient and productive your searches become. Just don't expect it to be the perfect combination...there's no such thing as a silver bullet in search - not even Google."

But the biggest knock against Dmoz hasn't really been that it's not a potentially great resource. The users who bash it typically claim that Dmoz doesn't give those who submit sites enough respect. "Your site is a black hole. Fix that, and everyone will love Dmoz," says Jim Francis, commenting on the post.

Another knock is that the directory is frequently gamed, and authoritative sites are left out while sites with less than stellar content are there instead. Basically, it's getting abused in Digg-like fashion. But Dmoz still (at least on the surface) says it puts community first.

"I care about the community and the experience we provide because I think that authoritative, subject matter experts CAN provide an experience on par and in certain circumstances far superior to the algorithmic search," says Grant Belaire, Director - Audience Growth. "And Dmoz is by far the single best example of that on this planet...or any other that I am aware of."

Google and Dmoz

There have been a lot of questions in the past as to just how Google valued Dmoz links (and whether or not they were de-valuing them). Jean Manco, a UK building historian, and a Dmoz editor since 1999 has a very interesting look at the relationship between Google and Dmoz. In the rather lengthy piece (last updated just a few months ago), she says:

In its endless battle against spam, Google needs every weapon it can lay hands on. Recently Google patented a method of including an element of editorial opinion in its algorithm. Dmoz was specifically mentioned.

Yet no one knows better than Google that Dmoz only lists a fraction of the Web. So Google is not about to rely on Dmoz alone for any crucial element of its algorithm. That is a safe bet.

The point is, marketers don't appear to be looking for Dmoz links at the rate they once were. Many will tell you it's quite hard to get one anyway. This could be another contributing factor to the decline in interest for Dmoz. Dmoz has been working on a Dmoz 2.0 for sometime, but staff has not responded to my requests for comments about this.

Taken from website pro news

5/14/09

Comment

Thanks for the article!

I'm puzzled why they still talk about users using the DMOZ as a search tool or for anything for that matter. It's obvious that users are NOT using DMOZ. The whole point of the matter, which all avenues I can find, dismiss the important issue, is that Google USES the DMOZ info for it's OWN directory. Nobody cares about users actually finding them in the DMOZ it self. :rolleyes:

Besides, look at the last update to DMOZ. April 14. :rolleyes:

If Google didn't utlize the DMOZ, I will hazzzard a guess that DMOZ would have imploded in a tiny little fizzle over a decade ago....

Comment

Yes, DMOZ is dead.
                            The directory's last update was Apr 15. Nothing since.
                            Hopefully, Google will choose another directory to drive their listings.....:rolleyes:

Comment

Working...
                            X