Email Marketing - Yes or No?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email Marketing - Yes or No?

Over the years, the one thing I have stayed away from is email marketing of our products. Perhaps because of the "spam" that we no doubt all receive. The last thing I want to do is annoy potential customers.

Do any of you folks on this forum use a email marketing campaign that is not tied to your website's newsletter opt-in?
    If so, how successful has it been & which email marketing company do you use? Cost?

Thanks,

*edited by len
    Last edited by lml; 03-03-2010, 10:48 AM.

We have tried the Post Card marketing campaign with unremarkable results, and, after several attempts with professionally printed post card, we abandoned those campaigns permanently. Not sure why they didn't work, despite coupon savings. We've posted business cards at Post Offices, Grocery Stores and such. We also include a post card (previously used for USPS mail campaigns listed above) in each shipment. Email campaigns have been equally misirable for us, and we don't offer them that much. Seems the "effort" (time and attention) is not worthwhile.
    What we have done is place a link to "monthly online savings coupons" in the side bar, and this seems to be drawing some attention and some increased sales. We just link to an image file of pdf that lists this month's coupon code. What is good about the online coupons is you can still adhere to manufacturer's minimum advertising pricing policies and still undercut competition. :)

Comment

Thanks for the info Mark.

I've edited my original post.

I had meant to enquire if anyone has had any success with a "email marketing campaign"...rather than a "non email marketing campaign".

My brain cells are abandoning me in my middle age. :D

Comment

I'm still not clear, are you asking about the effectiveness of non-opt-in email marketing campaigns (paid lists), vs opt-in email campaigns?

I have only used email lists from our opt-in email list, which by this point is nearly 30,000 addresses. We send out about 4-5 emails per year, and always get a good response and uptick in sales for the days after.

Comment

Paid lists.

Comment

Paid lists are a waste of time and money. Not only that, but you risk getting listed on spamhaus and getting a bad name for your company. I've worked in the field for awhile and did a contract postion with Constant Contact. There is never a single instance where buying a list has worked out in a company's favor.

Ask yourself one question; When was the last time you bought something that you got spammed with?

-Robb Muise

Comment

Originally posted by 3dCartRobb View Post
              Paid lists are a waste of time and money. Not only that, but you risk getting listed on spamhaus and getting a bad name for your company. I've worked in the field for awhile and did a contract postion with Constant Contact. There is never a single instance where buying a list has worked out in a company's favor.

Ask yourself one question; When was the last time you bought something that you got spammed with?

-Robb Muise
              Never.

Thanks for confirming my sentiments on the subject.

Cheers.

Comment

I am a little late to this message.

But I do an email newsletter every month to my customers. I have a sign up on my website. I only take/use GCO and there is an option for the customer to opt into marketing so I send my current newsletter to those who opt in.

I have a lot of folks on my 3dcart who sign up. And I add those folks to my email list too.

Because I sell live fish (not in my shopping cart) but also pond plants and supplies, customers are anxious for tips, suggestions and ideas. And because I have over 30 years experience, I am considered an expert in my field.

If you would like to see one of my newsletters go to my website and use the contact me. Email me, tell me you saw my post here and I will email you a copy. I don't think I can or should post my email here.

I do see an increase in sales after my newsletter goes out!

Bonnie at www.bonniesplants.com

Comment

Statistics

We are small and use a software package called eCampaign to manage our email marketing. We went online with 3D 3/09 with approximately 5000 names on our list generated from previous eBay customers. We do a bulk email once a month through our in house ISP. This is a little time consuming since we limit mailings to 1000 per day to avoid problems with ATT.

Currently we have over 7700 active addresses. Can directly trace over 900 registrations to the emails vs just over 100 registering directly on the site. We have had 240 unsubscribe and have deleted 1400 bounced addresses.

We offer tiered pricing with 5% discount to entice registrations via link in the emails along with offering monthly special pricing either overall or by category.

Over all we are pleased with the results.

Comment

Working...
                  X