Google search feed update yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google search feed update yet?

I see that 3d cart stil hasnt done any updates to our feed for the new required info. Im not sure what to do to be ready. I was hoping 3d would step up to the plate and make sure our feeds were up to date with google but that doesnt look like its going to happen. Now what?
    Kathleen
    www.bikerbabesleathers.com
    www.theleatheroutpost.com
    Please "like" us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Bik...rs/95860340129

We are on our own with the new Google feed requirements

:mad: I was wondering the same thing and posted that question to their twitter page, since other avenues seem not to get you a response. well it worked. I got a response, but not the one I was hoping for.

I asked if they will be updating the Google feed to reflect the new requirements by Google. This was their response to me:

Thanks so much for reaching out!
    We’ve been following this Google Base Feed update closely since they announced it a few weeks back. It’s been decided however, that we aren’t going to be updating our current Google feed since the basic feed at this time will still work for general items. For the additional requirements that Google will be looking for, merchants can customize their feed parameters using the extra fields available on their products. The product listings all have up to 10 additional “extra field” sections that can be used for this purpose.
    A resource that might come in handy is the following forum thread in which several of our merchants have been posting some ideas and solutions for their own feeds.

http://forums.3dcart.com/optimizing-...22-2011-a.html

Another possible alternative for merchants is to use our current integration with GoDataFeed which can also be used to edit/add parameters to the feed before posting it to Google.

I am not happy :mad: that they aren't going to update it. That's part of the reason I went with 3dcart, there integration with shopping sites and Google & Bing merchant feeds.

Sunshine Daydream Hippie Shop
    www.sunshinedaydream.biz

Comment

For us it was a simple customization to add the new fields, You can customize the feed and add all the data that you need.

Comment

No Google Update

Hello;

Quite frankly: I am at a loss too. Etsy has done it, Artfire has done it and over here - nothing. If it is that easy to do, then it should be even easier for 3d staff to do it for all of us. The ones who know won't care but people like me will and it would make my life a little easier...

Just needed to say that - even if it doesn't make a difference.

Uta :(

Comment

I'd like to say that I've been a happy 3dcart customer for years now but this problem jeopardizes the future of that relationship. If you don't sell clothing, the fix is pretty easy and if you don't want to do it yourself, Godatafeed has a dead simple $50/month solution. Unfortunately, apparel merchants on 3dcart have no viable solution other than creating and maintaining a separate database of all of their products and options.

I spoke with several tech support people regarding this. The first call led to the same ridiculous answer suggesting that they "do not support it and have no plans to support this." The same person even told me that I should use Godatafeed and and when I mentioned the Apparel variants problem she told me that they "don't support godatafeed."

It didn't seem reasonable that 3dcart would want to give away that much business by making themselves an unattractive solution for apparel retailers. I was very persistent and finally got a better response. I was told that 3dcart does take the issue seriously and is seeking a solution both on their own and are currently working in conjunction with Godatafeed. Realistically, if they weren't, they'd be kissing a good part of their business goodbye.

Because I'm busy with a lot more than my websites, I'm willing to stick it out a bit in the hopes that they'll come out with something within the next 60 to 90 days but if this were my primary revenue source, I wouldn't be able to sustain the sales loss that will result. If I weren't able to break through those layers of tech support, I'd be building a new site already.

In case someone at 3dcart is listening, by not being open with your customers, you are harming your business. Unless you let people know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel (and a time frame), apparel retailers will have no choice but to abandon ship. You were caught off guard and didn't get a solution together in time. In my business, we call that a mistake and we own up. You clearly let some of your customers down. In my business, we typically follow that with an apology.

Comment

Amen.

But to be honest: nobody was caught off guard. You are being very nice and understanding. From what I understand Google folks had been talking about it since June.

I have a lot of fixing to do since Panda. That is entirely my fault, but the Google feed is something else. That should have been addressed immediately by our hosting company. If I generate a Google feed and try to upload it, it gets rejected every time. Too many deliminators etc. Why doesn't somebody who knows his or her way around these things go through the feed functions (all of them) to clean them up?

Getting found on Google, Yahoo etc is name of the game. And that applies to a clothing retailer or somebody selling other things. And if you can't get your feed up and running, you don't get the traffic and sales.

This is my busy season. I need to spend time making more dog clothes and bringing them to market and should not have to worry about going through my feed to make sure that this month it will work again...

So again: if it is an easy fix, why isn't it fixed? So nobody here would have to sweat it and we all could focus on what we are good at: selling stuff.

I really don't understand and I am at a loss here.

Uta :confused:

Comment

This is Probably Why it Will Never Happen

From a prior post: Another possible alternative for merchants is to use our current integration with GoDataFeed which can also be used to edit/add parameters to the feed before posting it to Google.

The problem is that GoDataFeed pays a commission to 3d each month for each and every one of us that uses their service. So, fixing the data feed and automating the Google feed (like it should be and they promised it would be) takes money out of their (3d's) revenue stream.

:( Sad to say folks, don't expect it to change anytime soon!
              Keith

Comment

:) :)

In another thread, Henry said they are working on a solution to the Google Feed issue and Godata said they are also working with 3D to get it up to date.

So, I guess all we can do is wait patiently.:D

With the holidays fast approaching, hopefully the updates will come soon...

;)

Sunshine Daydream Hippie Shop
                www.sunshinedaydream.biz

Comment

Let's not be quite so fast...

Originally posted by tmilone103 View Post
                  For us it was a simple customization to add the new fields, You can customize the feed and add all the data that you need.
                  As always it depends on what one sells. I know for us it wasn't much of a problem. However, if one is selling clothing it is a huge issue. The OP on the other thread is pulling her hair our as are other apparel merchants.

Her answer was to get the thread locked. I thought this was rather poor form on 3D's part. IMHO. Perhaps they didn't care for the tone of the discourse.

Anyway, ours is working but I feel for them!

John

Comment

We use Woopra for Traffic Analysis and....

After having sent up a new GMC file this past Sunday we have noticed Google coming in about every 2 hours looking at our listings.

Anyone else?

John
                    The G1 Gallery

Comment

Google was hitting hard last month but has been pretty quiet so far this month.
                      I did notice on the feed that on items that didn't need all the information like apparel that it was throwing soft errors/warnings implying that it would be a good idea to have/add that information as it may be required in the future.

Very subtle way of warning what some of the next changes will be.
                      David
                      David's Gifts and Things

Wholesale Gifts, Home Decorating, Jewelry and More

Quality, Selection, Value Always

The more you buy the more you save!

Comment

I agree, I was surprised at the mildness of the Google Warnings on the feed. My guess is a LOT of people did not update their feeds to the new format.

Comment

What Google should worry about is fixing it's taxonomy. They lack so many categories it's not funny.
                          I worked on a site that was basically a biker apparel site and the only real category for anything specific to motorcycles was in vehicle parts.

I have stuff that has been put in that they have in apparel when a true jewelry category is needed. They also need to add another option to the age requirement. They need something other than Adult & Kids. A watch can be for all ages not just adult.

What Google should have done is used all the feeds they get and build a master category list off of that. It would have been far more useful.
                          David
                          David's Gifts and Things

Wholesale Gifts, Home Decorating, Jewelry and More

Quality, Selection, Value Always

The more you buy the more you save!

Comment

Working...
                          X