Important News For Online Stores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Important News For Online Stores

Please read this and implement the fix immediately. I am appalled at this latest tactic of Google. It is negatively affecting online stores.

Celebra:

I don't have it on my site. There is no advertising anywhere. Am I missing something?

Uta

Comment

Browser Apps

Uta, if you read the article it talks about a browser extension that allows searchers to see your competitor's info while shopping in YOUR store. Not everyone has the add-on, but anyone can get it. The directions are in the article about how to suppress the add-on so visitors are not sent away from your store.

Comment

Yikes! I just loaded the toolbar into my IE (never use it except to test) viewed our site and couldn't believe. About 50px high all across the bottom of our home page is covered by it and yes it has pics of related content that aero up on hover which covers way more space and includes our competitors that you can click on.

I think this is going above and beyond helping in search plus invading our display area with competing content. Next you will be able to get "related content" preference for a price (if not already) and the toolbar will cover half the screen.

Thanks Cindy but apparently they've already blocked the block posted so guess we're out of luck for now. Attorneys will probably make a ton on this.

Comment

Originally posted by mondo View Post
          ...but apparently they've already blocked the block posted so guess we're out of luck for now. Attorneys will probably make a ton on this.
          Mondo, do you know if the block is blocked for sure? we used
          Code:
          iframe.grelated-iframe 
          { 
          display: none; 
          }  

for about a month now and so far still the popup for related content is blocked. If you find any article talking about the block of the block please post link here.
          Elegant Weddings +
          www.elegantweddingsplus.ca
          www.elegantweddingsplus.com

Comment

the link you posted near the bottom says they blocked it but put it on our sites and seems to work.

Comment

This method no longer works, Google got keen to it and removed the class name "grelated-iframe" from the iframe. So now it''s back! How can we remove it now, with no access to any part of the iframe. Google has also made ALL of their inline styles be !important; I''m stumped now....I really want to block this bar from my site, because they have crossed the line this time!

Thursday, September 22, 2011 at 9:04 AM
              Thread located here

I know doodley about how to add the code that is supposed to block this, so if you guys see my site go bye bye you know I'm dinking where I shouldn't be :eek:

Comment

Thank you for the heads up!

Added
                iframe.grelated-iframe {
                left:-99999px !important;
                display: none !important;
                }
                to my css, and it killed the Google bar on the bottom of my page :) , I hope they do not do something to bypass this block.
                That bar is just horrible, and a complete intrusion on our sites. Pretty soon we will have to pay Google, Bing, or whoever to let customers see our sites from behind their toolbar :(

Comment

I am just fuming over this. We pay frigging Google for each click to bring customers to our site, only to have them show adds on our site to pull those customers away from us. And they make money twice, or more if they manage to keep that customer going round and round from site to site. What a rip off.

Comment

More Info

Google Related Toolbar and Privacy Concerns | Lunarlog I hope the code I added today in my stylesheet works. I have worked hard developing my business. I do not need Google sending potential customers away AND blocking MY site content! Google has crossed the line with this. :mad:

I find it "interesting" that Google closed the discussion on this topic. People are angry! Not only is it bad for our businesses, an invasion of privacy and more, but the direction Google is taking, from a user perspective, borders on censorship. They tell/show you what they think you want from info gathered in a way that is a type of spying. They'll call it gathering marketing info....

If everyone protested by not using a Google search, Google Analytics, removing Google toolbars, closing AdWords and AdSense accounts, etc., how long would it take them to notice? There are other choices!

This should provide a huge break for the competition!

Comment

Originally posted by elightbox View Post
                      Added
                      iframe.grelated-iframe {
                      }
                      to my css, and it killed the Google bar on the bottom of my page :) , I hope they do not do something to bypass this block.
                      That bar is just horrible, and a complete intrusion on our sites. Pretty soon we will have to pay Google, Bing, or whoever to let customers see our sites from behind their toolbar :(
                      Thank you for the code. More Google Hubris!

Comment

For us dummies when it comes to code. Where do we add the code?
                        Thanks
                        Kathleen
                        www.bikerbabesleathers.com
                        www.theleatheroutpost.com
                        Please "like" us on Facebook
                        http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Bik...rs/95860340129

Comment

Code Placement

The best place is in your stylesheet. I opened the Advanced tab, scrolled to the bottom and pasted it.

Comment

Placement in CSS

Where does one place this add to CSS?
                            iframe.grelated-iframe {
                            }

Comment

Google contact

Seems Google likes to hide behind their hugeness. Could not find a "Contact us" link for email but did put my 2 cents worth in at

https://services.google.com/fb/forms/sharesuccess/

Comment

Working...
                              X