Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help On Google and Custom File Names

Alright so....

I had most of my products in the Google index. Well, I decided that custom file names were the way to go, namely to jumpstart Bing and Yahoo.

All of my Google pages got knocked out of the index. They're still there, but they're now broken links. I'm working on the new set, but i'm afraid to change anything again. I have about only 8% of my pages indexed from my sitemap now.

Also, I took my product names with no spaces as the custom file. So, say /johndeereblackhat, and not john_deere_black_hat. Is this a big problem? Will the engines not like the non-spacing?

I'm a little lost on it. I just want to get indexed as fast as i can.

Originally posted by TractorUP View Post
    Alright so....

I had most of my products in the Google index. Well, I decided that custom file names were the way to go, namely to jumpstart Bing and Yahoo.

All of my Google pages got knocked out of the index. They're still there, but they're now broken links. I'm working on the new set, but i'm afraid to change anything again. I have about only 8% of my pages indexed from my sitemap now.

Also, I took my product names with no spaces as the custom file. So, say /johndeereblackhat, and not john_deere_black_hat. Is this a big problem? Will the engines not like the non-spacing?

I'm a little lost on it. I just want to get indexed as fast as i can.
    In an SEO article I read not too long ago, it recommended the file names to be hyphened in non-capitalized letters. i.e. :john_deere_black_hat.html
    The engine algorithum knows each one that is separatedy by the hypen is a word, if you do "johndeereblackhat" this is treated as one word.

hope this helps
    Elegant Weddings +
    www.elegantweddingsplus.ca
    www.elegantweddingsplus.com

Comment

TractorUP,
      You will also probably need to do 301 Redirects. Search the forum and knowledgebase for "301", "redirects" and "custom file names". You will find a lot of usefull info.

Comment

create a big excel sheet with two colums, old url (the ones that are broken on Google), and new urls.

Do this fast as you do not want google to assume these are broken links and discard them.

Johndeereblackhat_p_1234.html john-deere-black-hat_xxxx.html

import into 3dcart and your problem is solved.

Use dashes not underscores to seperate words. In _xxxx the xxxx are ignored. so you can use _xxxx as a unique identifier for the item to avoid ever having duplicates in the custom file names.

Comment

Fellow 3dcart subs,

I believe that the above information will not work. I have been trying to 301 redirect some products that I no longer carry and have deleted. When I put these products into the 301 file, the redirect function did not work. I contacted support and their response was:

This is occurring due to how our software handles requests for product/category pages. When a URL is requested that contains _c_ or _p_ our system knows these are category and product URL respectively, and a rewrite occurs before any of your 301 redirects are processed. As an example, try using this URL:

http://www.3dcartstorehere.com/This-...k_p_99999.html

Our system sees the _p_ and knows that the number following that is the catalogid # of the product and attempts to retrieve it. Since you don't have a catalogid of 99999 in your database, an error is received instead. The same situation would occur if you used http://www.3dcartstorehere.com/_p_99999.html

For this reason, each product has it's own redirect function in the Meta Tags tab of the Edit Product screen. You can edit this via Products>View/Edit>Click Edit next to a product>Click the Meta Tags tab. Also, the above rules do not apply to custom file names, so it is strongly recommended that you give all of your products custom file names, rather than using the dynamic store generated file names. Unfortunately, these workarounds can only be implemented if the products have not been deleted.

Dan C.

I have custom file names for categories but not individual products. Since the 301 function does not work for 3DCart URLs, what would happen if I create custom file names for products? Would I break links?

Another question, does this mean that products can NEVER be deleted? I still have the default 3dcart coffee mug URL.

BP
          Last edited by Brtp4; 03-09-2012, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Your webmaster tools account data will tell you what links are broken. Download that data, generate and upload file for 301 redirects and viola done.
            It take 30 days for all of googles data centers to update your info so be detailed on what changes you make and close up those broken links. resubmit your sitemap to google. Also I suggest doing some forced blog posts (wordpress) about your categories and products linking those new url's so it gets pinged and crawled faster. Facebook and tweet as well.

this should be done on any page url changes no matter what. DO NOT rely on your sitemap as 3dcart generates an incomplete sitemap. there are site scan tools that you can use if you are ever going to change your site pages. Scan the original site before though. also after you complete or add pages etc rescan and save it.

I had a customer call me that had changed his site 3 times in 2 years (updates). All new url's everytime, not realizing that he restarted his indexing from scratch everytime. Then never new why he didnt sell to much. He also had over 40k products he was selling.

"WE ARE A FREE WORDPRESS HOSTING PROVIDER"
            Want 1000 Facebook Likes or Shares? G+1? Tweets? 3Dcart Design and Tweaking - Product Data Solutions - Custom Excel Upload Sheets - SEO Services - FREE Blog Hosting.

Comment

Once you have deleted a product or category, it is not possible to redirect those pages in 3dCart. I thought this was odd, so I 2x checked with support and they confirmed:

This is occurring due to how our software handles requests for product/category pages. When a URL is requested that contains _c_ or _p_ our system knows these are category and product URL respectively, and a rewrite occurs before any of your 301 redirects are processed. As an example, try using this URL:

http://www.merchantstore.com/This-Wi...k_p_99999.html

Our system sees the _p_ and knows that the number following that is the catalogid # of the product and attempts to retrieve it. Since you don't have a catalogid of 99999 in your database, an error is received instead. The same situation would occur if you used http://www.merchantstore.com/_p_99999.html

For this reason, each product has it's own redirect function in the Meta Tags tab of the Edit Product screen. You can edit this via Products>View/Edit>Click Edit next to a product>Click the Meta Tags tab. Also, the above rules do not apply to custom file names, so it is strongly recommended that you give all of your products custom file names, rather than using the dynamic store generated file names. Unfortunately, these workarounds can only be implemented if the products have not been deleted.

BP

Comment

Working...
              X