Google Search Feed Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Search Feed Update

Just wondering if anybody has heard anything regarding the Google feed update yet? I'm using Godata for my feed generation but I was hoping to cancel that and do it myself if 3D is updating the internal feed generator for Google Product Search.

Sunshine Daydream Hippie Shop
    www.sunshinedaydream.biz

I use the 3d feed generator for Google. I have to tweak the spreadsheet a little, but it works great. I've used it all along with no problems. We're getting results from Google, so it's working. I wrote some instructions out a while back in this forum, but they need updating. Let me know if you didn't find what you needed.
    VMcEwen
    Zephyr Kites

Comment

Feed Spreadsheet

Hello folks.

I have a really remedial question.....I am only able to open the feed file as a text file, no excel. I have tried pasting but the values do not separate into columns. Any help on this?

BP

Comment

You're doing it right--it's a little tricky. After you generate the feed, from the 'file' menu at the top, save as text file. Open up Excel, and tell it to open the txt file. You should get a 'Text Import Wizard' window pop up. (All of the choices are already correct, so I click thru & finish, but the options are as follows):
        Choose the file type: Delimited
        next
        Delimiters: Tab, Text qualifier: "
        next
        Column data format: General
        Finish

Now it should be in a spreadsheet. When you're done, be sure to 'save as' other format, keeping it as a txt file and not an excel spreadsheet.

Hope this makes sense. It's past my bedtime...
        VMcEwen
        Zephyr Kites

Comment

Thanks vk, big help, you have me on the right track. Unfortunately I have now realized that having quote marks (") in my product descrips wreak havoc with the columns!!

Ack!!

BP

Comment

We did the exact same thing---had " for inches in the description. Google is a learning process for me almost every month when I submit it. Been doing it for over a year now, and it still takes me at least a couple tries. The good news: hopefully all the hoops & tricks required are limiting competition for us all... :p
            VMcEwen
            Zephyr Kites

Comment

Oooo, man, that is a very funny and timely comment for me....lately as I have been MF'ing Google up and down, I console myself with that bear analogy....I don't have to outrun the bear, just the slowest other guy....

Some find/replace, and I will be at it again.

BP

Comment

Try using two single-quotes whenever you want to use the double quote. Sometimes that works better.

Comment

Guys, save yourselves all the headaches and do Godatafeed. You will make the fees up in no time with fresh content that is updated daily. I resisted too for a long time being a cheap small business owner, however once I signed up, I am thinking why didn't I do this a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by elightbox View Post
                    You will make the fees up in no time with fresh content that is updated daily.
                    We haven't done a Google Product feed yet (it's in the works!), but I do have a question .....
                    Our products catalog rarely varies much. That is, we only ADD new products maybe 3-4 times a month. Our prices rarely change. And when we do add new products, it is usually only 1 product or 2-3 products each time. So it seems to me that in our situation, a service such as GoDatafeed would not be needed. Or am I missing the bigger picture?

Comment

Originally posted by elightbox View Post
                      Guys, save yourselves all the headaches and do Godatafeed. You will make the fees up in no time with fresh content that is updated daily. I resisted too for a long time being a cheap small business owner, however once I signed up, I am thinking why didn't I do this a long time ago.
                      Thinking about it. They are supposed to get back to me.

BP

Comment

Using a service like GoDataFeed, SingleFeed or SmartFeed will definitely help you in submitting your feeds to not only Google, but other FREE channels like Bing Shopping (currently not accepting new applicants) and TheFind.com. It will also make your life much easier if you decided to use the paid channels like NexTag, PriceGrabber or Shopzilla.

First, there are many nuances between each engine and what these data services do is guide you in creating your feed file by showing you the necessary components and taxonomies for each channel. GoDataFeed for example will run your feed files through a verification process prior to submitting your feed alerting you of any issues.

Second, the key to any successful comparison shopping campaign is optimization. It's making those adjustments to titles, categories and other attributes that will help improve your relevance in the searches. These feed services have the tools in place to allow you to make these adjustments globally, per category or product specific. The software allows you to filter products that you may not want to display or add marketing messages to specific products.

Third, 3dCart has a direct tie-in with GoDataFeed and GoDataFeed has a 30 day trial. It may be worth the time.

Bottom line is if you have an e-commerce site chances are your time is much better spent working with vendors, selling on the phone or running your business than wasting a lot of time on something that someone else can make much easier, more effective and will increase your bottom line. There are several good services out there, just do a quick search on google.

Comment

Those of you that use Godata feed I have a question or two.:confused:

I have GDF for my Google, Bing, & The Find feeds.

How often do you have GDF uploading your feeds? If you do daily, does that increase the use of BW daily from your website?

Is there any advantage to how often you submit your feed assuming their are no changes in your products

Thanks!.
                          ;)

Sunshine Daydream Hippie Shop
                          www.sunshinedaydream.biz

Comment

Originally posted by SunshineDaydream View Post

Is there any advantage to how often you submit your feed assuming their are no changes in your products
                            While I can't say this with 100% accuracy, I have been told from some good sources that all of the CSEs (Google, Bing, NexTag, PriceGrabber, etc) all use feed "freshness" as part of their algorithms.

It makes sense from the CSEs end if you think about it. If a feed is updated daily, then theoretically it's information is more up to date then a feed that was sent last week.

We recommend to our clients to submit at a minimum of once a week, and if possible to send it at least every other day, if not everyday.

Comment

OperationROI,
                              Thanks for the information.

Comment

Working...
                              X