Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

301 Redirects for renamed pages. Impossible with 3dcart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 301 Redirects for renamed pages. Impossible with 3dcart?

I've been going back and forth with 3dcart support for days on this and can't get it solved.

We created a page, let's call it www.domain.com/original_ep_1.html
    We then renamed it to www.domain.com/new_ep_1.html

3dcart seems to automatically do a partial redirect. If you type in either url, it shows the same content, but the url is what you typed in. To the user, it's seamless.

However, we discovered google and bing know about both and are dinging us for duplicate content.

So we created a 301 redirect from original to new, but both url's remain active.

How do we fix this?

I can't say I've ever had this problem. On my extra pages I use a custom file name, and then do the 'Update filenames' task in the SEO tools (can't recall the exact name), and from then on the custom filename I gave it is the only URL that will show up, and the original filename is redirected to the new one as it should be.

Comment

There was a change in the past year to allow product name changes without affecting the URL.
      So http://www.domain.com/xxxxxxxx_p_16323.html

will go to the same place as
      http://www.domain.com/yyyyyyy_p_16323.html

Since URLs change automatically depending on the product name, it used to be that if you changed the product name, then you will receive a 404 page with the old url.

This change must also affect the extra pages urls.

Comment

Originally posted by cbsteven View Post
        I can't say I've ever had this problem. On my extra pages I use a custom file name, and then do the 'Update filenames' task in the SEO tools (can't recall the exact name), and from then on the custom filename I gave it is the only URL that will show up, and the original filename is redirected to the new one as it should be.
        I didn't use the custome file name. I changed the name, which changed the URL.

But here's something else I found out, and it's very disturbing.

Take a url, domain.com/whatever_45.html
        Type in anything you want in front of the _45.html, like
        domain.com/garbage_45.html
        domain.com/confused_45.html

Anything you want. As long as it ends in _45.html, it will show you the same exact page content, but with whatever url you typed in. This is a big problem. Competitors could easily submit links to search engines to create duplicate content issues.

With products, it's a little different. The same thing holds true, but it actually results in the correct, original url being shown. It seems like it's redirecting correctly.

Real product: domain.com/shirt_p_34.html
        Fake url: domain.com/wrong_p_34.html

Type in the fake url and you'll get to the real url. But why have this behavior in the first place? And I'm not sure it's actually a proper 301 redirect.

And I still don't have a way of fixing my first problem.

Comment

Seems like a simple fix.

Use the custom file name feature.

Any valid URL you type in to arrive at the page will auto-redirect to the custom filename you give.

Comment

Originally posted by cbsteven View Post
            Seems like a simple fix.

Use the custom file name feature.

Any valid URL you type in to arrive at the page will auto-redirect to the custom filename you give.
            Not sure I follow. Are you saying to use custom file name to create a new URL, and then it will auto redirect? Is it a true 301?

Comment

Why not just try it on a test page? Pick a page, set up a custom file name to whatever, and test it on all the available URLs you would use to get to that page.

Comment

Originally posted by wcsjohn View Post
                Not sure I follow. Are you saying to use custom file name to create a new URL, and then it will auto redirect? Is it a true 301?
                That's correct. The custom file name becomes the URL for that page and the system will 301 all other variations to the new custom file name assigned to it.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmy3dcart View Post
                  That's correct. The custom file name becomes the URL for that page and the system will 301 all other variations to the new custom file name assigned to it.
                  OK, I got that to work. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X