Professional SEO help reccomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professional SEO help reccomendations

I desperately need to improve my organic search results. I have lost my first page spot for many key searches since I converted to 3dCart a few months ago. My sales have drop nearly 40% since then.

I pay an exorbitant fee for PPC ads on Google and I'm thinking of turning that off for a couple of months and investing those dollars in professional SEO services.

The problem is - I don't know who to hire.

there are THOUSANDS of companies out there and finding someone reliable and good at what they do is very intimidating.

Have any of you used someone you would recommend?

I'm willing to pay to see some results

Thanks
    C Ekman
    Owner/Designer: Cobweb Corner
    http://www.cobwebcorner.com

I haven't used any SEO companies or PPC methods. I've been running organic for 3 years. I would use a keyword tool on your website and probably change you keywords from " 'nurse' gift" to the specific item descriptors. Just a thought. :)
    I have used tools that scan your site for keywords that you should use to put in your product titles/desciptions and meta tags. Don't know if this helps, but, it certainly can't hurt. If you don't have a googlebase account, get one. You can rank on page 1 of their "shopping" search engine. :) I get a small fraction (but, a fraction is better then null) conversion from Google shopping. Update your file every two weeks and NEVER let it expire.
    Last edited by Mark; 09-11-2008, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Thanks Mark!

Not sure what you're referring to for the 'nurse gift'

my main nurse's gift page has the following meta tags:

<META NAME="DESCRIPTION" CONTENT="Unique gift for nurses. Nurse appreciation gift. Bracelet, bookmark or badgeholder for nurse with poem to describe a nurse's gifts. Great gift for your favorite nurse or gift for nurse appreciation week.">
      <META NAME="ABSTRACT" CONTENT="Gift for nurse. Bracelet w/poem using colors to describe nurse's gifts.">
      <META NAME="KEYWORDS" CONTENT="gift for nurse, nurse appreciation gift, RN Gift, LPN Gift, nurse graduation gift, nurse jewelry, gift for favorite nurse, nurse appreciation week gift

Although my title on that page could improve.

Also wanted to emphasize that I am NOT blaming 3dCart for the plunge in my organic search results. It is just that changing carts changed everything.

The time frame- I believe I switched over last March, so about 6 months.

When I converted I pretty much copied the exact same meta tags I had on the main pages of my old site. - I'm just not getting anywhere near the same results.

For example - I used to be on the first page for Yahoo and Google if you searched on Salvation Bracelet - now you can't find me at all. This is just one example of MANY that had 1st or 2nd page results on the main search engines.

My whole point is - I'm spending $1,000 a month just on Google for pay per click - what if I took that same $1000 and paid a really good company to help me improve my organic search rankings? I think it would be worth it as my Google conversion rate is mediocre at best.

Problem is - How do I know who to hire? There are just SO many companies out there.
      C Ekman

Comment

I've never used PPC or anything and I'm goal setting 100,000 in sales this year. Cross fingers.....:)
        Anyway, I wouldn't think the search terms would NOT be "nurse gift" "person gift" "teacher gift" etc. I would think the search terms would be jewelry, bracelets, anklets, beads, necklaces, or whatever.....
        This is just my opinion

Comment

I meant the keywords on your home page. Sorry. Personally, I would change those to be product specific. Or do I have the keywords and description tags backwards? :confused:

Comment

$1,000 on PPC per month? Do you get good return with that?

Comment

Seems you have to nudge Yahoo and Live Search to find you. There is a portal that you can submit your sitemap to live search, but, I can't find it right now. Also, you may need to submit your site to yahoo. I also just submitted my sitemap to ask.com
              Are you in DMOZ ?
              Make sure DMOZ gets your NEW site URL. This will help you as well.

Comment

Mark - regarding home page - yes - that's where I need the most work. But I have a LOT of products - not sure how to put product specific keywords on the home page. But you're right - it needs work.

However my my really good sellers I have very specific tags/keywords/etc. Those pages should be showing up and their not.

Yes $1k just for google and then there's Yahoo and MSN PPC as well.

I make a profit - and sometimes it REALLY pays for itself - like when someone orders 45 bracelets for their entire nursing staff.

Am I getting the best use of my money - not sure. I don't have a real store - just online - so if people don't find me then I'm doomed.

For my cross stitch products I spend a lot for one conversion - but cross stitch customers are very loyal and they come back again and again - so I think it's usually worth it.

However Google has raised its minimum bids on so many of my main keywords that I had to cancel most of them. For example, my best search words are Counted Cross Stitch. I used to pay .12 cents for each click. Now the minimum bid is .50 cents. Can't do that - so those leads are gone.

My only resort is to really work at increasing the organic search results.

I have a site map and have submitted to all of the major search engines and many secondary.

I'm working on it extensively - but it's frustrating that I had such good rankings and can't seem to figure out how to get myself back there.

It will come with time hopefully.

Thanks for thecomments
                C Ekman

Comment

I'm really struggling getting my second site to generate traffic like my primary.
                  It wasn't this difficult two or three years ago. The Search engines have changed, I think. My new site is beginiing to get indexed by Google, but, it's s=indexing the https....haven't figured out why it's doing that. And Yahoo, MSN and some others have yet to find me. :(
                  So, I am doing things now that I didn't have to before with the launch of my other site.....
                  I've got pretty good page rank on site #1 and I never submitted anything to anyone, except the DMOZ and Froogle and never paid any click campaigns or anything. Pure free organic. Sales have double each of 3 years. Now, my site #2 is really not doing anything. I've done more for the new site as far as tags and meta than I ever did before and nada........Perhaps the search engines don't adjust page rank except every three months or something. I think I heard that somewhere that they crawl the web concstantly but only update every so often.
                  Last edited by Mark; 09-12-2008, 06:18 PM.

Comment

http://searchmarketingexpo.com/east/

i attended search engine strategies while danny sullivan was organizing it. he got out and is now running SMX.

probably cost you around $3-5k in expenses just to attend, but you will learn alot and be able to meet some of the world's leading experts.

i would suggest that we help you, but just don't have the capacity right now. SMX probably next best thing

Comment

Just wanted to update.

I found a SMALL company for SEO specifically for craft sites. Only $99 a year. So far they have been very responsive and have created MANY link sites for me. It will be 3-4 months before I can really evaluate the results - but for $99 it's been worth it so far.

The are supposed to review my site and give suggestions - but that hasn't happened yet - I'll let you know when it does.
                      C Ekman

Comment

I would love to get SEO help and only pay $99 for a year. That sounds great assuming you actually get bang for your buck.

I will have to look further into SEO help when I get time. :(

Comment

thedancingdaisy,

Not sure how much I'll actually improve in organic searches - which is my goal. BUT - the company has been very responsive so far (it's only been about 10 days).

They are getting me site on MANY relevant link exchanges - not just junk ones - and this is one thing I really needed -i.e. links.

The real test will be when they review my site itself, to see what kind of advice they give.

I also have been added to relevant banner exchanges - not sure if that will help - but it's 'free' advertising.

For $99 I figured it was worth the risk, and so far I'm happy. I don't expect miracles for $99 - but a push in the right direction is worth it.

The thing I liked about them was that they were Christian based and ONLY work with craft sites - which fits perfectly with my store. Made it very easy to find relative links through them.

I'll try to report back in 3-4 months to see if I get any results. $99 is only 4 days of Google advertising for me - very much worth the risk.
                          C Ekman

Comment

Originally posted by cekman View Post
                            thedancingdaisy,

Not sure how much I'll actually improve in organic searches - which is my goal. BUT - the company has been very responsive so far (it's only been about 10 days).

They are getting me site on MANY relevant link exchanges - not just junk ones - and this is one thing I really needed -i.e. links.

The real test will be when they review my site itself, to see what kind of advice they give.

I also have been added to relevant banner exchanges - not sure if that will help - but it's 'free' advertising.

For $99 I figured it was worth the risk, and so far I'm happy. I don't expect miracles for $99 - but a push in the right direction is worth it.

The thing I liked about them was that they were Christian based and ONLY work with craft sites - which fits perfectly with my store. Made it very easy to find relative links through them.

I'll try to report back in 3-4 months to see if I get any results. $99 is only 4 days of Google advertising for me - very much worth the risk.
                            cekman,

Any updates? I don't know what your page rank was before you used the SEO company, but it looks like you have a 2/10 rank.

Are you happy with the SEO firm? Have you explored others?

Last, can you share this firms name? I'll pm you, if needed.

Thanks

Comment

Might also have a chat with Robb Muise at 3dcart - the guy seems to be sharp as a tack!

~fr*k

Comment

Working...
                              X