Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone using Google Checkout or Amazon Pay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using Google Checkout or Amazon Pay?

I was wondering what people have experienced with google checkout and amazon. Any pros and cons would be appreciated.

I ask because back when google started the checkout we signed up. but there was absolutely now contact with them and when they started a chargeback there was nothing we could do. No phone number, email address or anything. No way to prove our case. So we dumped them. Has this changed?

Thanks for any info.

Ken

The main issue I have with google checkout is that it does not display the cheapest shipping method first (this is what most people want). Instead it is returning shipping methods based on some other criteria (I am not sure what). The result is that shipping methods get displayed to our customers from UPS next day air, ups 2nd day, ups 3 day, ups ground, first class mail, priority mail.

As a result we get a lot of UPS orders we wouldn't normally get since customers don't always see the cheaper options. It also results in customers choosing next day air and then asking us to cancel the order (or canceling it themselves withing googles 15 minute cancellation window) and reordering with a different shipping method (this happens at least a couple times a month).
    Nathan
    www.YourCableStore.com

Comment

Just had another order with the next day air issue a few minutes ago. Customers seem to like Google Checkout but because of issues like this we are on the verge of dropping it as a option (for the second time).

BTW We have never had a charbeback with Google Checkout so I can't help there.
      Nathan
      www.YourCableStore.com

Comment

Hi Nathan,

Thanks, I wonder just how much business we really miss out on by not accepting it. I think most people have other ways they will gladly pay with. But I could be wrong.

Another problem we encountered back when we did accept it was that we would get orders from "people" that we could not contact. We were using a different system and sometimes the order would get lost and not come through to us so we have to contact the customer. With Google checkout we couldn't get the right contact info and then had a couple of transactions that we could not refund either. It was a mess since we could not contact anyone at Google about it to get it straightened out.

For us back when it started it was a nightmare of extra work with no help at all. I don't see many Adwords ads showing they take Google checkout so I am thinking I may not be missing much.

Your problem with shipping would be frustrating.

We'll probably have to think this over for a while longer.

Thanks again for your input.

Ken
        www.watchbandsolutions.com

Comment

After getting having another customer complain about the next day air issue (after we shipped the order of course) I decided to play around with settings today and discovered how to change the order shipping methods display in Google Checkout.

3dcart sends the shipping methods to Google checkout in the order they are added when you add shipping methods (under Shipping Settings -> Shipping Methods). So UPS next day air was showing up first because it was the first one I added. To change the order all I had to do is delete UPS next day air and re add it and now it will show up after other shipping methods.

You can control the order of all your shipping methods this way but you have to enable them in the order you want to have them display. This means if you add a new shipping method or want to reorder them you have to delete them all and then add them back in the order you want them. It would be nice if there were a easier way to do this (like just setting a sort order for each shipping method).

(BTW 3dcart support was no help and told me I could not change the order.)
          Last edited by yourcablestore.com; 08-13-2010, 04:04 PM.
          Nathan
          www.YourCableStore.com

Comment

Also you can view the current way shipping methods are sent to google checkout by going to Plugins -> Order Management -> Google Checkout and clicking settings. I believe the shipping options are sent in the order they show up here.
            Nathan
            www.YourCableStore.com

Comment

I use GCO exclusively and I love it.
              I have had 2 charge backs and both were found in my favor because I was able to show delivery confirmation in both cases where they showed as delivered. Both buyers claimed the item was not received. I ship exclusively with USPS.

What I liked most is the money never left my account while GCO investigated.

I had PayPal and had a charge back and PayPal took the money from my checking account and THEN emailed after they did it. I closed out my PayPal account.

Plus with PayPal, I hated the scams and phishing emails that came several times a week.

I don't recall the year I started with GCO but it was when they first started.

I have been very happy with them.

Bonnie a bonniesplants.com

Comment

Originally posted by watchdr View Post
                I was wondering what people have experienced with google checkout and amazon. Any pros and cons would be appreciated.

I ask because back when google started the checkout we signed up. but there was absolutely now contact with them and when they started a chargeback there was nothing we could do. No phone number, email address or anything. No way to prove our case. So we dumped them. Has this changed?

Thanks for any info.

Ken

I have google checkout in our Prostore website it did not get that many sales. If it was a free install I would use it, but if it cost to install it like Prostores I would pass because I just have not noticed enough people using it.
                Jimmy

Comment

You are in luck!
                  Google Checkout is free to sign up and it is offered here as a payment choice.
                  3dcart wants to make sure you get your money.
                  Seems just about every payment method you can think of is offered here.
                  Except "Bill me later" I think 3dcart believes in getting paid on time.:)

Note: When your credit card processor is misbehaving it's nice to be able to walk a customer on the phone to this alternative payment method.
                  Clayton
                  Go Live Industries

Comment

[QUOTE=yourcablestore.com;11268] This means if you add a new shipping method or want to reorder them you have to delete them all and then add them back in the order you want them. It would be nice if there were a easier way to do this (like just setting a sort order for each shipping method). QUOTE]
                    Nathan, thank you for the tip. It would have taken me years to figure this one out. I agree a sorting option is in order.

Comment

Hmmm, I activated Google Checkout and see the same issue I had with my current site. A customer adds an item to cart, clicks the Google Checkout button and is taken to the payment page. Shipping is not calculated and they are not taken back to the site to complete payment like with paypal.

What am I doing wrong? :confused:

Comment

I am using both google checkout and paypal. I actually prefer google checkout because its easier to use and refund or partial charge. More of my customers use paypal though. Also paypal is part of ebay, which is no good either.

Sunshine Daydream Hippie Shop
                        www.sunshinedaydream.biz

Comment

We like Google checkout and like it. Two changes I wish we could make:
                          1. Make the Google checkout button smaller (instead of having to increase the default buttons' sizes)

2. Increase the line space between the 3dcart "Proceed to checkout" button and "Google Checkout button"

I'd like to make the choice of payment method to be on an even playing field.
                          kem
                          AddressNumbers.com
                          Address Plaques, Memorials, Home & Garden Decor, Gifts and more.

Comment

... but how do you get it to bring up shipping costs? Like I said, I click the google checkout button, log into Google and am given the payment button without the cart adding my shipping costs. What am I doing wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by rburton34 View Post
                              ... but how do you get it to bring up shipping costs? Like I said, I click the google checkout button, log into Google and am given the payment button without the cart adding my shipping costs. What am I doing wrong?
                              Try this:
                              1. Login to Google Checkout.
                              2. Click Settings
                              3. Click Shipping Methods
                              4. Create your tables, based on shipping method. We use a fixed shipping rate based on order total, so someone else might have to help you if you don't use that.
                              5. For customer information, click Settings and enter your shipping costs/policy at the bottom of the page.

Hope this helps .
                              kem
                              AddressNumbers.com
                              Address Plaques, Memorials, Home & Garden Decor, Gifts and more.

Comment

Working...
                              X