Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Authorize or authorize & capture?

Hey all,

I've been wondering what the norm is for credit cards. Do you authorize or authorize & capture?

I personally capture at the same time the order is placed but it poses problems when orders are canceled or if an item is on backorder. I just imagine forgetting to capture when I ship and ending up giving away freebies all the time!

Hi Megan,
    I am set up to just authorize.
    My inventory is one of a kind (antiques), so if an item sells at a show, or on my other site, and I haven't removed it from my 3d site, I don't want the hassle of revering charges.
    If you don't have inventory concerns, then authorize/capture is fine.

My best,
    Dana

Comment

Megan, another reason to authorize only when the order is placed, is that most merchant accounts require you to ship before capturing. If there's a delay of even a few days from order to shipping, you're better off capturing when shipped.

Comment

i authorize only first. so that way i can double check the info before capturing. once i place the order then i capture. it seems like a lot of trouble to refund.

as far as your comment about forgeting to capture once you ship you may have to develop a routine. once i got into it i was working faster than my old method.

Comment

Thanks for the input! Seems like I heard something about 3d sending a capture command when an order is marked as shipped. That would make auth only easier!

As for the shipping, we ship usually within 24 hours and when I was setting up the merchant account they said it was OK to capture if I shipped within 24.

Have a great night!

Comment

Being that we ship about 95% of what we sell, and we generally ship everything within 24 hours, I auth & capture at the same time.
            Happy Selling,
            Ben

Comment

Working...
            X