Paypal Amount Different from Cart Total

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paypal Amount Different from Cart Total

I just wanted to see if anyone has this issue. I am stunned at 3dcart's response. It has just recently come to my attention that when a customer chooses to pay with paypal, paypal will only display the shopping cart subtotal to the customer when they are choosing a funding source, etc. It does not take into account any coupon discounts, taxes nor shipping.

I attached screen shots showing that in my example, my 3dcart shopping cart total is actually $8.55, but only the $3.55 shopping cart subtotal is showing on my paypal screen.

After going back and forth with 3dcart, they insist that this is how it is, how it's always been and they intend to do nothing about it.

I find that ridiculous and hard to believe. We've been with 3dcart and paypal for many years and just recently I have had about 10 customer calls, countless emails and who knows how many lost carts over this discrepancy.

Ultimately the correct amount does get deducted in the end, but I know I would never personally purchase when there is a different total showing when I'm paying. Sometimes paypal shows a higher amount if they customer qualifies for free shipping and has a discount. Lost a $200 cart yesterday when a customer was upset her total on paypal showed a different (higher ) amount. I've spoken with paypal and they state this is a developer issue and should not be this way. They even said it's out of compliance.

Is this really how the 3dcart/paypal integration works and I've spaced out on that all these years?

Thanks!
    Attached Files

I just tested both the button on the shopping cart and the radio button on checkout_3. Neither shows any amounts on the PayPal side. It just shows the shipping address, and a continue button which brings back to our web site.

Do you use PayPal payments pro? I am using PayPal express.

Comment

I wonder if this note about passing line items to PayPal in the V6 release notes has something to do with your situation. We have not been upgraded yet so it might not apply to us yet.

"0613-i005 Payments - Paypal Express
      We now support all types of transactions for Paypal Express (Authorization, Capture, Void, Refund and Reauthorization). In addition to this, the specific line items are now passed to Paypal during checkout."

Comment

You just may be right. We were upgraded right about the time we started getting feedback from our customers. I really can't imagine this has been going on for the three years we've been with 3dcart and only now it has been realized.

However, after a pretty heated conversation with some 3dcart developers, they seemed well aware of the problems.

If we could somehow get the total not to show on paypal, that would at least be better than the wrong amount. A wrong amount is a huge red flag that something is wrong.

Originally posted by elightbox View Post
        I wonder if this note about passing line items to PayPal in the V6 release notes has something to do with your situation. We have not been upgraded yet so it might not apply to us yet.

"0613-i005 Payments - Paypal Express
        We now support all types of transactions for Paypal Express (Authorization, Capture, Void, Refund and Reauthorization). In addition to this, the specific line items are now passed to Paypal during checkout."

Comment

I've not noticed this before. I just checked and you are correct. That's not good and I'm going to turn in a ticket as well.

Comment

In all fairness I did get a nice response one of the developers. He agreed that it is a big problem, but basically said they have bigger issues right now with the release of version 6. He said they will get to it eventually, but it sounded like a low priority to them. This has become a daily problem for us. I'm thinking it has to be related to the V6 upgrade because it has never come to my attention until now. I even wrote up a canned response in my email to send to customers when they email me about it. I get about 3 a day. Pretty scary when you consider most people will just abandon checkout and not even contact us.

Originally posted by wcsjohn View Post
            I've not noticed this before. I just checked and you are correct. That's not good and I'm going to turn in a ticket as well.

Comment

I just tested this in our store. Enter the shipping address and choose shipping options in checkout_one, click Pay with Paypal, and it only brings over the product total. That's not good at all.

Thanks for pointing this out. I'm putting in a ticket now.
              Chris
              TC Life Safety
              TC Wireless

Comment

Please give us an update...please

So what have any of you done concerning this Paypal issue? I am considering removing the Paypal payment option until the issue is fixed. Any suggestions? From what I gathered through my phone conversation with 3dcart they are well aware of the issue and are working on it, of course that is not resolving the fact that I am losing at least 1/2 of my regular daily sales which really don't amount to much unless you consider the fact that my family makes it's living off of our products. Suggestions on my temporary solution please?

-Gary-
                (Owner) MacrameMagic.com
                Last edited by MacrameMagic; 08-27-2013, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Macrame,
                  We never want you to loose sales, especially due to what seems to be a technical issue.
                  I know you've spoken with a 3dcart developer already, but I kindly suggest you send me your e-store's URL -- along with an outline of the problem -- and I will personally forward it to our support manager in an effort to get this resolved ASAP.
                  Now, please keep in mind that I am not a developer and can't promise an immediate fix. However, in your case, removing the PayPal solution temporarily doesn't seem like a terrible idea.
                  Thanks, and I look forward to your email.
                  Bryan Shaw
                  Community Manager at 3dcart
                  [email protected]
                  Last edited by Melissa F; 08-27-2013, 12:56 PM.

Comment

I was told the same as you were - that it's the default way Paypal Express works and always has. Their reasoning was that only the product total is passed because you come back to the site after logging into Paypal and could change the shipping method, which would change the amount.

If you use Paypal Payments Standard, it shows the shipping and tax information because once you leave the site the process is completed on the Paypal website.

It's a terrible workflow for a customer to be told "you will be charged xxx" and then come back to checkout and the amount is different.
                    Chris
                    TC Life Safety
                    TC Wireless

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan Shaw View Post
                      Macrame,
                      We never want you to loose sales, especially due to what seems to be a technical issue.
                      I know you've spoken with a 3dcart developer already, but I kindly suggest you send me you e-store's URL -- along with an outline of the problem -- and I will personally forward it to our support manager in an effort to get this resolved ASAP.
                      Now, please keep in mind that I am not a developer and can't promise an immediate fix. However, in your case, removing the PayPal solution temporarily doesn't seem like a terrible idea.
                      Thanks, and I look forward to your email.
                      Bryan Shaw
                      Community Manager at 3dcart
                      [email protected]
                      My temporary solution to this is as simple as I can get. Disable Paypal Pro or Express and activate Papal Payments STANDARD. This does indeed show both the total line items as well as the shipping. Simplest fix I can think of and still be able to offer some type of Paypal option.
                      I do believe the guys at 3dcart are looking for a fix, I only wish I knew enough to be able to help more. Thanks for your efforts guys. Good luck to us all 8)

-Gary-
                      (Owner) MacrameMagic.com
                      Last edited by MacrameMagic; 08-27-2013, 12:42 PM.

Comment

I just changed from Paypal Express to Paypal Payments Standard in about 5 minutes. The only differences are: 1) There's no longer a Pay with Paypal button on the view cart page; 2) Tax and shipping are brought over and the purchase is completed on Paypal's site.

Changing over is simple. Go to https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/p...ments-standard, click on Get Started. Log in with your existing business account and you're done.

Now go into your 3dcart admin section, Settings > Payment > Online Methods. Disable (or delete, up to you) Paypal Express Checkout and click Save. Now click Add New at the top. Choose Paypal Payments Standard. Enter the info and you're ready to go.
                        Chris
                        TC Life Safety
                        TC Wireless

Comment

Thanks for the details Chris. I guess I should have thought to spell out the how to's.
                          -Gary-

Comment

No problem :) I think I was writing as you posted.
                            Chris
                            TC Life Safety
                            TC Wireless

Comment

Coupons not reflected on PayPal total

Opening this thread again, as we just had two customers this week contact customer service because of this issue.
                              They apply a coupon on the shopping cart, go to PayPal and see the total before the discount.
                              They freak out
                              They call customer service, and both our and their time is wasted.

I am sure there are others that just abandon the sale.

3dcart, please fix.

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X