Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip: Raise consumer confidence with customer testimonials

Here's my tip of the day*

Create testimonial snippets for your site.

I believe people like to see testimonials for little shops (like most of ours.) I know I do. When I'm shopping for something I always love to hear a good word about a company or service I've been considering.

When I transferred my site to 3DCart, I decided to ditch my "mailbag" page (which was essentially several testimonials, with responses from us on those emails that had questions, etc.) It was just a bit too hard to keep up on, and the messages were dated, and I didn't want our newest comment being several months old to be a potential negative influence.

So what I decided to do was create a fun little javascript randomizer that shows snippets of customer comments on our home page - with no dates. (see it in action: www.karenscookies.net)

This is pretty easy to implement. If you're interested, read on.

Ok, first design out how you want it to look, even place a comment in there so you can see how your font size looks, how it wraps, etc.. When you're ready to bring in the randomizer, swap out the comment for this code:
    Code:
    <script language="javascript" src="assets/js/quotes.js"></script>
    Well, now you're ready to create your javascript file. In this case it's called "quotes.js" and resides in my assets/js folder. Be sure and edit it with the likes of notepad (plain text), not some word processor.

Here's what it looks like:
    Code:
    var num_of_quotes = 3;
    quotes = Math.floor (num_of_quotes * Math.random());

if (quotes==0) {
    myRanQuote="this is a customer quote";
    }

if (quotes==1) {
    myRanQuote="Here's another.<BR><BR>you can place html breaks if you want.";
    }

if (quotes==2) {
    myRanQuote="Here's a third with something in &ldquo;quotes&rdquo; which require special characters.";
    }

document.write(myRanQuote);
    A few things to note:
    • Each quote is on one line with no line breaks. If you want breaks, use the HTML code as seen
    • Do NOT put "quotes" within your quotes :) that character signifies the start and end of your line. Use HTML characters as seen if you want 'em
    • Notice how each one has a number, starting with 0
    • Notice how you have the total count at the top

When you're done, upload it to the appropriate directory and you're good to go. Test it out, and fix errors as needed.

There are a million tutorials on the www to do things like this in Javascript, but give me a buzz if you're hung up and I'll see if I can't help out.

Enjoy!

Mike

* I really don't offer a tip every day :)
    Last edited by maksum; 09-12-2009, 09:08 PM.
    www.KarensCookies.net
    Cookie Decorating Simplified

Thanks for your tips! They are appreciated. :)

Comment

Yes, your willingness to share tips (and code like this) is much appreciated.
      I've been wanting to add something similar to our left side banner. I think this would work well.
      Thanks again!

Comment

No problem. I'm more than willing to share my knowledge. Since there's so little of it, might as well spread it out a bit! :)
        www.KarensCookies.net
        Cookie Decorating Simplified

Comment

That is awesome! Thank you so much for sharing--I've been wanting to do this very thing on our site for all the same reasons. Very generous of you. :-D

Comment

any idea how i can put this it a box titled Testimonials on the side? I am no good at coding

Comment

Originally posted by Chris04626 View Post
              any idea how i can put this it a box titled Testimonials on the side? I am no good at coding
              Doing this requires coding, so you will either need to spend some time learning HTML (which I highly recommend) or pay someone to do it with you. It is too complicated/specific to walk someone through on the forums.

Comment

Nice tip. Thanks!
                Joanne Barker
                VS Web Design
                [email protected]

Comment

starting to sound like another ecommerce softwares forum people needed to be paid to help with anything lol

Maybe i should learn html, but right now i do not have the time.

Ive had my site on zencart for 3 years, and was able to add a couple sideboxes on my site. As they make it easy and have addons that can do those types of things.

A downside of 3dcart is they dont have these plugins you can easily install by following a a few instructions, here you need to code everything yourself or haul out your wallet lol
                  Last edited by Chris04626; 12-18-2012, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris04626 View Post
                    starting to sound like another ecommerce softwares forum people needed to be paid to help with anything lol

Maybe i should learn html, but right now i do not have the time.

Ive had my site on zencart for 3 years, and was able to add a couple sideboxes on my site. As they make it easy and have addons that can do those types of things.

A downside of 3dcart is they dont have these plugins you can easily install by following a a few instructions, here you need to code everything yourself or haul out your wallet lol

Helping is one thing. This forum is very helpful, and I spend a lot of time helping users. But walking someone through designing parts of their site is too much. The information is out there for you to learn. You can't run a website without spending some time learning HTML. And if you choose not to learn it, you can't be surprised when the only other solution costs money.

Comment

This is really nice. Thanks for sharing the tip. Ive been considering something like this for awhile. I was actually thinking of trying to access random reviews to display in a similar manner. Im just not really sure where to start. This will do very nicely in the meantime :)

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X