X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip: Throw in a little something extra

Here's my Tip of the Day*

Add a little "treat" or "personal touch" to your packages

We sell cookie decorating supplies, and have lots of really fun sprinkles that we pack up and sell on our site. However, no matter what the order (even if it's a single cookie cutter) we add a little 2" x 2" zip lock back with a little sample of sprinkles.

http://www.karenscookies.net/assets/...kle_sample.jpg

(we used to staple this on the back of our business card, but now just place a sticker on the bag.)

In addition to this, we hand write "Thanks Rebecca! - Mike" on each packing slip. (Assuming I'm the one fulfilling the order and the recipient is named Rebecca :) )

So this adds 4 or 5 cents to our costs for each package and about 5 seconds to the time to package them up. But you wouldn't believe how this excites some people! We've had MANY people write to us and comment on how they loved the little sample and the hand-written note. It just really gives it a personal touch and adds just a bit of warmth to the general coldness of online shopping. I strongly believe this has been instrumental in creating and maintaining some of our regular customers.

One of our suppliers throws in a little zip lock with a couple of hershey's kisses in every package they send out. I (as a shopper) also love seeing this. Every single time they're in there, and it makes them stick out amongst all of our suppliers. It's not much (price or effort), but I think it adds a lot.

So I would recommend that you consider this (if you haven't)... be creative and think of something. Doesn't have to be edible by any means, and if it's related to your store or products, all the better. If nothing else, consider jotting down "Thanks for your order" on their packing slip.

May not be for everyone, but just thought I'd pass it along.

Mike

* I really don't offer a tip every day :)
    www.KarensCookies.net
    Cookie Decorating Simplified

Great tip Mike. I too have a supplier that includes little treats in their packaging of wholesale orders. They wrap the order in colorful tissue paper (that coordinates with their company colors) and include various candy packages that also coordinates with their logo.

I agree little things like this goes a long way in retaining good customers.

Comment

Is that a business card sized magnet? :D

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
        Is that a business card sized magnet? :D
        Nope... just a biz card... but on that note I've seen people throw such magnets in packages as well. If you sell anything that people need to buy regularly (I know there are battery and air filter peddlers here :) ) I think that would be a good idea. They stick it on their fridge and when it's time to replace your URL is right there for them.

I know overnight prints offers them:
        http://www.overnightprints.com/main...._group=magnets

and I'm sure many others do as well. If you're able to keep track of first-time customers vs. repeat, maybe you can just give them to first-timers if they're a bit expensive to throw in every time.

Mike
        www.KarensCookies.net

Comment

Do you do your own cards?
          Do you have a bite cutter? :D

Comment

I design them in photoshop and order them through overnightprints. I have a scalloped oval craft punch that I use to "bite" them.

Just like this:
            http://www.createforless.com/Interch...-0107-4974.jpg
            www.KarensCookies.net

Comment

I just have to say that I love your website, and have bookmarked it for my own future use!

And I think this is a fabulous idea! I know I certainly would love it! :)

Comment

Originally posted by SarahInc View Post
                I just have to say that I love your website, and have bookmarked it for my own future use!

And I think this is a fabulous idea! I know I certainly would love it! :)
                Thanks! :)
                www.KarensCookies.net

Comment

Working...
                X