Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tip: Sell the Benefit, Not the Product

Here's my tip of the day*

Try and sell the BENEFIT of your product... not merely the physical material.

I worked for over 5 years as a web developer for an E-Learning company that focused on sales-force training for technology retailers. Essentially we created online training courses for sales reps that sold products for such companies as HP, Microsoft, Canon, Intel, etc.. Though that was our focus, we also created training courses for the likes of Pampered Chef.

I worked closely with producers, writers, and instructional designers all focused in training sales people to effectively sell product.

One of the biggest ideas that we always tried to use as a guide in producing such training was to SELL THE BENEFIT rather than merely the product.

Rather than giving examples of printers, mice, and PCs, let me fast forward to today, where I'm running my own online store selling cookie decorating supplies. This is just a single example that proves time and time again that this is an effective principle to keep in mind when selling.

Basically, we sell a LOT of cookie cutters. We'll often find wonderful shapes, and with lots of ideas swimming in our heads of the beautiful creations that can result from this particular cutter, we order a bunch of them, take a picture of the cutter, and stick it on the site. Well guess what... It sits there unsold for weeks... and months... and months. So we'll finally get around to creating an example cookie from the cutter, we post it on the site as an alternate picture and the VERY next day it will start selling, and it will sell often and consistently. No description changes, no featuring on the home page... just adding a shot or two of example cookies.

So why is this? Well, I believe without the example picture we are merely selling a piece of tin. But as soon as that picture is posted we're selling the means to create beautiful , decadent treats. Doesn't even matter if the customer decorates their own cookies exactly like the picture provided or not. The examples start giving them ideas and helps them realize the BENEFIT of this "piece of tin".

We always have a lot of cutters without example pictures, but I'm telling you, we have seen this proven to be an effective selling tool enough times to know it's something to keep up on the best we can.

Anyway, that's just a small example we've seen with our store. I'm sure there is a lot more we can do to follow this principle. But that's my suggestion as something to consider. Be creative. It might be a picture, better descriptions, or a link to an article or study that convinces the buyer of the benefits are of your product. Just try to think of a way to sell the benefit.

Mike

* I really don't offer a tip every day :)
    www.KarensCookies.net
    Cookie Decorating Simplified

Thanks for the Tip!
    So, we need LOTS and LOTS of pictures of happy families and kids eating Fun Foods! :D
    Do you know any royalty free images that websites can use? Or, software with high quality image gallery included?

Thanks.
    www.concession-supply.com

Comment

I love the Tip of the Day. :)

Comment

Originally posted by concession-supply.com View Post
        Thanks for the Tip!
        So, we need LOTS and LOTS of pictures of happy families and kids eating Fun Foods! :D
        Do you know any royalty free images that websites can use? Or, software with high quality image gallery included?

Thanks.
        I always use istockphoto.com for super cheap (from $1 to $20+ depending on size) but very high quality images. There is a minimum purchase of $18 worth of credits/tokens though.

Comment

Originally posted by concession-supply.com View Post
          Thanks for the Tip!
          You know what, this is a PERFECT example. I learned long ago in my web design career the value of photos of happy people. Another "rule" the little shops can follow is: look what the big boys do, and do likewise. And the big boys do this consistently. Just walk into Target, Wal-mart, etc.. You've got photos of happy people all over the place (same with their web sites.)

And yes, istockphoto is a great site. I've dumped a lot of money into that over the years. dreamstime.com is another good one... I believe a bit cheaper than istockphoto.

Mike
          www.KarensCookies.net
          Cookie Decorating Simplified

Comment

Thank you for the links! :)
            www.concession-supply.com

Comment

Working...
            X