Multi next day air Fraud orders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi next day air Fraud orders

We have been getting many next day air (both domestic and international to Thailand and Hong Kong) fraud orders this week.
    They have all the correct billing information including the phone numbers, and some even ship to the card holder, I guess to create legitimacy, and then this person orders a couple more shipping to other people.

Just a reminder, beware!

I'm always skeptical of anyone who would spend $40-$50 shipping for a $13 item! :) Must say that 90% of our fraud orders do choose Next Day Air as their shipping preference.

Comment

How did you discover that they were fraudulent? We ship Next Day Air a lot this time of year, and also ship to multiple addresses, so those factors wouldn't flag an order as being fraudulent for us.
      Laura Z
      Brass & Silver Traditions
      www.brassandsilvertraditions.com

Comment

If it is for foreign delivery, I send an email. If I get no response within 24 hours, then I cancel the order and send a notification of cancellation due to "inability to clarify the order". If it is a valid order, the customer will email me back right away--if I never hear from them again, then I do know it was fraudulent.

For domestic orders, I usually call to confirm--the customers have always commented that they appreciate the fact that we contacted them for a very time sensitive delivery. If the number is fake, or the person on the other end has no idea what I'm talking about, then it is a fraudulent order that somehow got past the AVS check.

Comment

Interesting. We ship internationally all the time without incident, and we have lots of domestic expedited shipping too, and have never had a problem in over six years. Maybe that is due to our products and demographics?

We do, of course, get lots of fraudulent emails requesting to purchase large quantities and asking what types of payment we accept and all that, but for the most part those are so obviously fraud that it never goes any farther than us reading and deleting the messages. All of our orders that do complete have been fine, so I was curious why just selecting expedited shipping would make you concerned. Thanks!
          Laura Z
          Brass & Silver Traditions
          www.brassandsilvertraditions.com

Comment

We have been living in ignorance is bliss over the years thinking that we are pretty immune to this type of fraud. We typically get one chargeback a year at the most.
            This week we had nine large fraud orders. We caught all but one ::mad:
            With International orders now we refund a small amount $.87 for example, and request the customer to verify the amount of the refund.

However, with these current Fraud orders, it was as simple as calling the billing phone number, because the Fraudsters used complete and correct billing information including the phone numbers.

Just sending an e-mail, does not prove anything because they all had valid g-mail or yahoo e-mails which anyone can create in an instant.

We look at e-mail addresses, we like e-mails with company domains, AOL, or other small providers in them (instead of yahoo, gmail, msn,...), We call to verify express shipments, we use the small refund method and then we go with our gut.

Comment

Originally posted by elightbox View Post
              With International orders now we refund a small amount $.87 for example, and request the customer to verify the amount of the refund.

That's a really good idea. I might start doing that.

Comment

Just sending an e-mail, does not prove anything because they all had valid g-mail or yahoo e-mails which anyone can create in an instant.
                I wasn't referring to disputed fraud and proving your case, it has just been our experience that those placing fraudulent orders usually don't respond to the confirmation email, nor do they provide a correct phone number. We also "go with our gut" in these cases, and have been right 99% of the time, especially with foreign shipments.

Luckily it doesn't happen very often--we've only had 3 chargebacks in 10 years, so I guess that's pretty good. :)

Comment

We have been living in ignorance is bliss over the years thinking that we are pretty immune to this type of fraud. We typically get one chargeback a year at the most.
                  This week we had nine large fraud orders. We caught all but one ::mad:

However, with these current Fraud orders, it was as simple as calling the billing phone number, because the Fraudsters used complete and correct billing information including the phone numbers.

We look at e-mail addresses, we like e-mails with company domains, AOL, or other small providers in them (instead of yahoo, gmail, msn,...), We call to verify express shipments, we use the small refund method and then we go with our gut.
                  I just stumbled onto this thread by accident. I have to say that this seems like a pretty effective way to try to validate an order. I know that we spend way too much time trying to filter out the fraud orders, so if this works, it could be a time saver for us.

One question though - Since we can't ticket an order until we ship, how can we issue a refund on an order that we have not ticketed?

Comment

On international orders we do capture the transaction then refund a small amount the next day. No optimal but it is what it is.
                    However some international customers do not have access to their accounts like we do here, or they are not tech saavy. We have lost a couple of legitimate sales doing this.
                    I guess there is no perfect solution.

Comment

I got caught on a next day International, and stopped 2 others. Our first fraud ever and it was a learning experience on charge backs and our protection (basically none, even if a CVV2 is used). The other 2 we called the card holder. US card holder for a foreign order is a red flag for us now, especially if an express mail.

Comment

Sorry to hear :(
                        Was the CVV2 used in your international fraud order?

Comment

Yes, CVV2 was used. Both were US card holders. One called me which is how I found out it was a fraud. The one to Israel I called the card holder after doing an Internet Search to get their tel. # and it was a fraud. The one to Taiwan I also called the card holder after an Internet Search (Tel. # was off by one digit) and the reply was "not again". CVV2 does not protect you against a charge back, unfortunately. Only if you have a signed credit card statement or proof it got delivered to the owner's address.

Today I have a large express order to Poland and I am going to try the few cents refund. Thanks for the tip on this!

Comment

Working...
                          X