Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Printing
    replied
    Thanks for the help/advice. I'll look into it.

Leave a comment:

• BrigadeGames
    replied
    With 12 computers sharing a cable modem that works intermittently - that can be the issue. Cable modems "share" the connection of the internet pipe in your area, so some parts of the day it will be slower than others. If all 12 computers are not on the net do you still have the problem?

You also need to look at the level of service you are paying for. Typically you can pay for faster service even on a shared cable modem pipe.

Have you had the cable company out or called them for support?

They will at least run some tests on the speed of your lines.

Leave a comment:

• cashmore
    replied
    Some companies use a Virtual Private Network to establish their company's private network in different locations using the public internet. All communication is encapsulated and establishes a private "tunnel" across the public internet.

I have found that when interacting with clients (conferencing software like Centra) who are operating behind a VPN there is a very long period of latency (like 30 - 60 sec) and training is impossible.

Long periods of latency could cause a browser to timeout waiting for a site to pop up.

Leave a comment:

• Printing
    replied
    What do you mean by a VPN Tunnel?? Im sure its a possibility though

Leave a comment:

• cashmore
    replied
    I have run into this problem, not with my store but in my other role an an online trainer, where a client is behind a secure VPN tunnel. It slows things way down for them and we cannot effectively do online training when the client is behind a secure tunnel.

Could this be the case with your company and all the networked computers?

Leave a comment:

• Printing
    started a topic Website Down but Not really?

Website Down but Not really?

Has anyone ever had this problem before?

At work, we have 12 different computers all networked. We also use a cable modem. Without exaggerating, I would say 35-40% of the time I try to open my website on any of the computers at work and it will give me the classic error when a website is down (we use Mozilla Firefox). BUT it will work on my iphone and I'll call my wife at her job and she'll be able to log onto our website so its not really down. I have even turned off all the virus and firewall options we have for a few moments just to see if it has something to do with that and it still didn't work. Many times if I try again in an hour or two it will work.

Any ideas? Its odd because I know the website isn't officially down because it will work everywhere else besides my place of business.
Working...
X