No announcement yet.

Warning: Your sales reports are wrong!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warning: Your sales reports are wrong!

3DC does not accurately show your sales and profits in their reports, leading to a host of issues.

For an example, go to reports|products and from the drop down box select the top products report. The report shows the product id, product name, quantity sold, amount in dollars and profit in dollars.

THE LAST TWO ITEMS ARE WRONG.

The issue stems from the way the store records the line items sold in each order. The store records the retail price of the item sold regardless of the actual selling price. The actual selling price of an item is the retail price LESS any discounts or coupons.

The store saves discounts from promotional coupons as a lump sum amount in the order table for an order for all coupons applied and for all items adjusted.

So if you sell a $10 item for 50% off the reports will erroneously show the sale at $10, not the correct amount of $5, which leads to an inaccurate reporting of profit as well. This inaccurate reporting might lead you to over pay an affiliate or partner, over pay royalties or other fees to authors, and at best simply misleads you as to how much you've actually generated in sales and profits.

The solution is for 3DC to make what seems like a small change to the way orders are recorded, that is in the line item table for each line item sold to record the retail price per unit at the time AND the actual selling price after coupons discounts.

This is not the only place where SALE PRICES are not taken into account.

The Quick Search only shows full prices whether the item is on sale or not, and there is no way to accurately include the sale prices on the Google Feed.

3dcart Please fix exisitng issues.

Comment

There are indeed many issues with the 3dCart reports. We don't ever rely on their statistics, though. We use our accounting software to give us that information accurately. Although I do agree that it would be nice if all of the reports were correct, it is more important to us that 3dCart function as the best shopping cart platform possible, not the best in traffic and sales reports and accounting.
      Laura Z
      Brass & Silver Traditions
      www.brassandsilvertraditions.com

Comment

We agree completely with Laura Z (brassandsilver). We do not expect 3dCart to provide us with uber-accurate sales/accounting/traffic reports. That's why we use Quickbooks, StoneEdge Order Manager, Google Analytics and Woopra. We use 3dCart's data for ballpark estimates on how we're doing within the specified time frame so we can get a general idea on how things are going, but we don't pay taxes (or royalties) off their figures. ;)
        Last edited by piaf; 08-05-2011, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by piaf View Post
          We agree completely with Laura Z (brassandsilver). , but we don't pay taxes (or royalties) off their figures. ;)
          uh oh, lol

Comment

It's not just reporting where this is frustrating.

Where I think the price representation is the most frustrating is in the search feature. If you have a product that normally sells for $10 and have it on sale for 50% off and do a search on the item what price to shoppers see on their search?

Not the current sale price but the standard price for the product. I've often wondered how many sales were being lost because of the incorrect price being displayed in the search.

Comment

Originally posted by piaf View Post
              We agree completely with Laura Z (brassandsilver). We do not expect 3dCart to provide us with uber-accurate sales/accounting/traffic reports. That's why we use Quickbooks, StoneEdge Order Manager, Google Analytics and Woopra. We use 3dCart's data for ballpark estimates on how we're doing within the specified time frame so we can get a general idea on how things are going, but we don't pay taxes (or royalties) off their figures. ;)
              Hello piaf,

Are you be willing to elaborate a bit on how you are using Quickbooks etc. with 3dCart to produce reports that show the true selling price of your products after discounts? Any advice you can offer is greatly appreciated.

Comment

jwilliams,
                We don't go straight from 3dCart to Quickbooks, we have an intermediary step.... StoneEdge Order Manager. We export the orders from 3dC to SEOM, then SEOM exports the summary totals of sales, payments, receipts and invoices into Quickbooks. The way we have it set up, SEOM also exports all coupons and discounts separately into Quickbooks, so that we have separate line items on our P&L for discounts given and store coupons which are then subtracted from our total sales figures. Our CPA is not interested in the individual sales prices on an item-by-item basis, he's interested in weekly, monthly and yearly totals and our solution works perfectly for both us and him. :)

Comment

An addendum to that...

SEOM is database driven, so if you are proficient in SQL, you can write queries and produce just about any kind of report you need. There is also a report add-in for SEOM you can purchase which is called Communique where a lot of "standard" reports have already been pre-written and can be loaded into your SEOM program. The URL for that is Altaireon's Home Page

Edit: Actually, SEOM is now the reseller for Communique, so the URL for the most accurate info is 3rd Party Software « Stone Edge Technologies
                  Last edited by piaf; 08-11-2011, 04:31 PM.

Comment

I agree with the posts asking for accuracy in search and reporting. The reports are a part of the shopping cart functionality. The search function could be written to show selling price. Now that these oversights have been revealed, will 3dCart quickly make the changes? Cleaning up oversights is a part of 3dCart competing to be the best shopping cart. I don’t see why anyone would find inaccurate computing results acceptable. Going further, I think we should be able to rely on 3dCart reports for taxes and traffic information because the cart does capture all the necessary data. It just requires the will and vision when in programming to make this happen.

Just to broaden the discussion, I think a product like NetSuite has the potential to be big problem for 3dCart, Volusion, QuickBooks, SEOM, and other single focused solutions. NetSuite attempts to offer a single product solution for multiple areas; managing shopping carts, multiple websites, marketplaces, , physical stores, multiple brands, and the accounting. If they ever make a move to offer the smaller business a competitively priced full featured shopping cart solution that is easy administer, they could capture the market. Potentially, one could start with them and never need to leave as the business grows.

It will be interesting to see how the competitive landscape evolves.
                    Luxlife

Comment

We offered to pay 3DC to write a custom report to show the selling price (retail price less any discounts and promotions) for each line item of an order and they said it could not be done. Therefore I'm not sure the 3DC database actually captures that data.

Trying to recreate the data after the fact is possible if one could link the data from the order table to the promotions table, however any changes to past promotions would corrupt the data. Simply put, when writing data on the line items in an order the cart needs to store not only the quantity and retail price but also any discounts applied.

I can understand how in the development of the cart they might overlook the need for selling price by line item and focus on total sales or net order value. But for anyone who wants to get serious about product analysis or customer analysis, or if you have to pay royalties or other partners on net sales of an item, the fault becomes obvious.

While I hope for an upgrade (3DC, any comment here?), I am in the meantime interested in how others use third party products to manage inventory, accounting, and accurate reporting.

Thanks.

Comment

Really this can be a signifcant issue,

Item A costs $50
                        Item A lists for $100
                        You offer it at a sale price of $75
                        Your profit is $25, not $50... so if we use their reports we are twice as much income tax !!!

I have just using their reports until I read this! Obama owes me money!
                        Ray

Giftpens.com
                        AT Cross Personalized Pens

Comment

Was this ever fixed?

Comment

Working...
                          X