support when there are real issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• support when there are real issues

Does anyone ever actually get real help from support when there are real important issues? I tried to install google analytics today based on the 3dcart knowledge base instructions. It did not work, so I removed it. Now, my whole site is messed up and I had to close my store after just grand opening! I have talked to support 3 times over the last 4 hours. Nothing done so far to fix it! I am at a loss!
    Marsha,

Support

I realize you are frustrated. Try to remember that you are not the only one asking for help. Sometimes you have to wait your turn.

Did you try reverting to an earlier date?

Comment

yes, we tried reverting to an earlier date, even back to default template. It is locked up. Support couldn't get it to work either.
      Marsha,

Comment

Mac411, I believe support will help you with the basic functionality of 3dcart. If you want anything extra you have to pay-up to have an advanced programmer make changes for you. They do not support customizations or changes you make to the templates.
        That said, support has gone out of their way in the past to help me diagnose issues even though it was due to my own changes.

Back to your problem.
        First go to settings > design > store language and click Save
        this will reset the templates.

If that does not work, most probably you have a problem either in your frame.html, or in the Header or footer section.

to access frame.html go to
        Settings >design >Themes and style >template html
        open Frame.html and revert to an earlier version.
        to to Store Language and click save to see if you site is back up

if not go to Settings > design > Header and footer
        un-check the two boxes that say enable, save, and go to Store Language, save, and try your site again.

I believe one of these two solutions will solve your problem.

Comment

Advice

get an FTP program, I love cute FTP Professional, but there are many out there many of them are free.
          create an auto-log-on to your store.
          before changing any template put a copy of the page on your desktop. worse comes to worse, you just drag and drop back in your theme's template and all is well again.

All the templates are in the /assets/templates/common folder. If you change any template through the admin panel, 3dcart puts the new copy in /assets/templates/your-themes-folder.
          you cannot change the templates in the common folder. These are the originals.

Make continuous backups of your theme template on your computer. Put them in dated folders with comments (10-26-11-b-4 xx change), (10-26-11-after xx change), etc. you can always go back and restore any template that has a problem.

3dcart will keep track of the last ten changes you make to templates, and you can restore to them. My method has the benefit of your notes in the folder names to show you which to back up from.

Comment

elightbox,
            Not meaning to highjack the thread, but your comments are so true. BackUp, BackUp, BackUp and then BackUp.

Quick story:
            About 10 yrs ago our business office was hit by lightening. Yup, it fried the main business computer. Thankfully, I had stuff scattered on many 3.5 disks and complete recovery took about 2 weeks and $200. Not to mention lost/delayed orders, etc.

Skip ahead to a couple of yrs ago ... main bus. computer crashed, lost ALL data, but this time we were (and still are) using an automatic outside data backup source. Full recovery time was less than 24hrs. - priceless!

Don't rely on the 3DCart saved versions of templates. As elightbox sez (and I agree) use FTP to backup your files. AND don't just save a copy/copies on your PC, get them to an outside source daily!! Is that lightening or just mayhem I see on the horizon ......

Marsha,
            I see that your site is up and running again! Great to see. Hopefully you will not encounter the same problem again.
            Last edited by Barry; 10-26-2011, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys for all your suggestions. I will definitely follow through with a backup plan. Lesson learned. In the end, support did find the problem and fixed it for me. Something happened to the frame when I tried to add google analytics code.

Again, I appreciate you both taking the time to respond.
              Marsha,

Comment

Another nice one is FileZilla. I do a complete back-up every other month, templates when I change and images once a month. Dump it all on a secondary drive and then run a complete back-up of that drive to an external.
                Far less time consuming than rebuilding the store.
                David
                David's Gifts and Things

Wholesale Gifts, Home Decorating, Jewelry and More

Quality, Selection, Value Always

The more you buy the more you save!

Comment

I also use FileZilla and we like it a lot. Easy to use and FREE! As for backups, we do a mnual backup to our office PC (using FTP) anytime we make a change. But we use an outside source that auto backs our selected files/folders from our computer. This backup occurs in the background, many times per day. Set it and forget it!

In case anyone is interested, the company is KineticD (used to be Data Deposit Box). KinecticD | Home
                  We have been using them for about 6yrs and have been very satisfied with the service. Our cost is about $4-$5 per month (and that includes a ton of CAD files wich can be quit large).

Comment

I have always wondered, is there a way to back up the other sections of the web site. Extra pages, Headers and Footers, store language, etc. I can use some clarification on how to backup these.

Comment

elightbox,
                      I myself haven't found a way to back these up using FTP, but here is what we do ...

Extra pages: These are saved as text pages (in HTML) to a sub-folder on our PC.
                      Headers and Footers: Same as above.
                      Store language: Hmmm, never actually thought about this one! But since we have been making quit a few changes in this area, I will have to look into this.

I would like to hear how others might do any of these.

Comment

I copy the html from any page I work on before I start. As for other pages and settings like store language I use screen-shots. I may still have to put them back in but with the shots I have all the information.
                        David
                        David's Gifts and Things

Comment

InsnWizard: Screen shots are good and all, however they only show the first 30 Chr or so of the field. Many of my Store Language fields are long and quite a few have Java Scripts to accomplish different things. I would hate to loose all the work I put there if 3dcart was to experience a major hickup

Comment

I agree. Nothing is perfect unless 3D comes up with a way to do a full back-up of ALL settings. 3D's current solution is pay $99 for store cloning.
                            David
                            David's Gifts and Things

Comment

David, where did you see that. Is that a real option that 3d offers? Hopefuly not $99/mo

Comment

Working...
                              X