Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are you using the 3dcart blog or another?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you using the 3dcart blog or another?

I would like to get your opinion on using the integrated 3dcart blog or an outside blog like Blogspot or Wordpress. Do you use the 3dcart blog? If not what do you use? It seems to me that the outside sources would get more exposure than the integrated one. My goal is to get people to my website through blog postings.
    Marsha,

We use a Wordpress blog hosted on another server. Why re-invent the wheel when Wordpress is out there with so many plug-ins and themes. The 3dcart blog is nice and all but it is no Wordpress. SEO wise, I don't know if we benefit from back links from a second domain that we link to from our site.
    We made the theme similar to our site, and the jumping back and forth for customers seems pretty seamless.

Comment

we have a remote wordpress blog, but we do use our 3d blog for tech help articles and product updates as well to keep our content fresh on our server. se's like that :) hope my 0.02 helped
      (¯`v´¯)
      `*.¸.*´

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
      (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•
      * P£†®ª *

Shadow Trailers
      www.TrailerandTruckParts.com
      www.Trailer-Wheels.com
      www.iTrailerParts.com

Comment

I had the same question back when I started my blog... just switched

I had the same question as you when I first started my blog. While my 3dcart blog did help a little in the search engines, I didn't think it was doing enough for me SEO wise so I had a consulation with a respected web marketing person and she advised me to absolutly change my blog from within 3dcart to a Word Press blog. I just got it up the other day and my writter just started posting on it so we will see. I have a feeling, for my purposes, it will be a lot better this way. I will still blog on my 3dcart blog but the Word Press one will be most important.

Comment

I had the same question back when I started my blog... just switched

I had the same question as you when I first started my blog. While my 3dcart blog did help a little in the search engines, I didn't think it was doing enough for me SEO wise so I had a consulation with a respected web marketing person and she advised me to absolutly change my blog from within 3dcart to a Word Press blog. I just got it up the other day and my writter just started posting on it so we will see. I have a feeling, for my purposes, it will be a lot better this way. I will still blog on my 3dcart blog but the Word Press one will be most important.... Doggie Diva Blog (not done yet but it's a start). I always felt like having the blog inside of 3dcart made the page so cramped because you have to keep your site frame work around it. Here is my regular blog so you can compare... Doggie Diva Dog Boutique Online Blog.
          Last edited by rcheltrvel; 01-19-2012, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Using a blog within your domain is better for SEO, especially with Google fresh content emphasis. When you post on your domain blog, it triggers the search engine bots looking for fresh content.

This is what I have learned from SEO research
            Elegant Weddings +
            www.elegantweddingsplus.ca
            www.elegantweddingsplus.com

Comment

I have to agree that articles will be better on the same domain as the store. You should have lots of content on the main URL from the store, and the blog will only help.

I mainly use WordPress, and from a strictly SEO (and plugins for SEO) it would be better to be on a WordPress blog, but not at the cost of a separate domain.

In addition, you run the risk of hurting both sites if you have tons of links back and forth between the two, and not getting the credit.

SEO is mainly based on unique relevant content and non-reciprocal inbound links from authoritative sites, both of these can be achieved within 3D.

Comment

I've been reading forum posts about using the 3dcart blog, and find I'm still on the fence about whether to use it or stick with Wordpress. Either way, the blog will be within my domain.

It's not clear to me from reading this forum whether there is really a clear advantage SEO-wise to using the 3dcart blog versus Wordpress, and of course, that is one of the biggest factors in deciding how to host the blog.

I like the fact that the 3dcart blog displays within my site shell, so colors and layout, product categories, links in the header, etc. are same as within my store.

But in browsing other sites using the 3dcart blog, and in playing with it in my not-yet-live site, it looks like there is no way to display anything beyond the blog post title for each post on the blog home page, and to see anything more, you have to click on each post title.

Does anyone know of a way to display the first few lines of each post, (and perhaps also an image, if it's near the top of the post) on the blog home page? That would be much more enticing for readers to click on than a plain text list of post titles...

Thanks!
                Last edited by spardue; 01-23-2012, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by spardue View Post
                  Does anyone know of a way to display the first few lines of each post, (and perhaps also an image, if it's near the top of the post) on the blog home page? That would be much more enticing for readers to click on than a plain text list of post titles...

Thanks!
                  I've been playing with the 3dcart blog and I don't like the text preview post either. I wish we had an option to not use it. Lately, I've been duplicating my full post or a slightly shorter version in the Short Post (Preview) area. You can do this when you write your article. Duplicate the article in your Post Content in the Short Post area. You can add pictures easily by using the WYSIWYG mode. Hope this helps answer your question. You can view mine at Blog - Lauren Mac

I am on the fence also about continuing this format or moving to wordpress. I do "share" all my blog post on my facebook page which I am also trying to build a following. I am a new business so I know it all takes time.
                  Marsha,

Comment

Originally posted by spardue View Post
                    I've been reading forum posts about using the 3dcart blog, and find I'm still on the fence about whether to use it or stick with Wordpress. Either way, the blog will be within my domain.

It's not clear to me from reading this forum whether there is really a clear advantage SEO-wise to using the 3dcart blog versus Wordpress, and of course, that is one of the biggest factors in deciding how to host the blog.

I like the fact that the 3dcart blog displays within my site shell, so colors and layout, product categories, links in the header, etc. are same as within my store.

But in browsing other sites using the 3dcart blog, and in playing with it in my not-yet-live site, it looks like there is no way to display anything beyond the blog post title for each post on the blog home page, and to see anything more, you have to click on each post title.

Thanks!
                    Are you talking about getting wordpress within 3dcart or putting your wordpress on a subdomain? i.e. wordpress.yoursite.com?

Comment

Thanks, Martha - I like the way your short posts look, and may try that out.

Tyler, I would be using Wordpress.org, hosted at BlueHost or similar, and the domain would be www.mystoredomain.com/blog (or possibly www.blog.mystoredomain.com). I prefer the former because my existing blog is already at that URL.

(My existing blog is already a Wordpress.org blog, currently hosted at my current storefront (I haven't migrated to 3dcart yet) as www.mystoredomain.com/blog.)

Thanks,
                      Sue
                      Last edited by spardue; 01-26-2012, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Im not sure how you would do domain.com/blog, unless you could host it on the 3d server (which I don't think is possible). If the blog is on a separate domain/ip, you will not gain the true SEO value for the 3d site.

Comment

Tyler, thanks for your feedback - I agree, and I am not considering blog URLs outside of my store domain.

3dCart support has told me that I can host my Wordpress blog elsewhere, say on BlueHost, and have the blog URL be either mydomain.com/blog or blog.mydomain.com. To my knowledge, either of these would work - if that's wrong, please help me understand...

I'm asking for feedback on SEO advantages/disadvantages for using 3dCart's native blog versus a Wordpress blog, where the blog is within your store domain either way. If it makes no significant difference SEO-wise, then the choice comes down to questions of esthetic appeal, ease of maintenance, and ability to display within your store frame.

Thanks!
                          Last edited by spardue; 01-27-2012, 12:37 PM.

Comment

OK, but if it is on the same domain and not as a sub domain, I think it will need to be via a CNAME record on the domain; which will give it a different IP, I'm pretty sure that this will mean to google it is a different site, but checking now.

Comment

do you know where the post is or support doc that said that was possible?

Comment

Working...
                              X