Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey, 3dCart! Stop putting your marketing messages on my site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, 3dCart! Stop putting your marketing messages on my site!

Just found that the "Shopping Cart Software by 3dCart" tag that I've removed from my footer 30 times is back in there.

If you want to market your products on my site, PAY ME! Otherwise, STAY OUT.
    Chris
    TC Life Safety
    TC Wireless

hint : comment the 3Dcart from the footer, instead of removing it.
    Elegant Weddings +
    www.elegantweddingsplus.ca
    www.elegantweddingsplus.com

Comment

Ah, good thinking! Thanks.

/it still pisses me off
      Chris
      TC Life Safety
      TC Wireless

Comment

The 3dcart message is added in the "Store Language" under Copyright. We should be able to put our own message there without 3dcart changing it and inserting their promo message. Why should we have to hardcode the copyright?

I first saw it after the new year and I thought it must be due to some upgrades they are doing. I fixed it, and a week later it was back.

Also check your like button. You can change it in Social commerce>like button and in store language under Likebutton . Look for ref ="3dcart", change it to "your store name". I think changing the first changes the second.
        Last edited by elightbox; 01-13-2012, 09:12 PM.

Comment

I got rid of it the first time I built the store and it has never came back.
          David
          David's Gifts and Things

Wholesale Gifts, Home Decorating, Jewelry and More

Quality, Selection, Value Always

The more you buy the more you save!

Comment

Originally posted by elightbox View Post
            Also check your like button. You can change it in Social commerce>like button and in store language under Likebutton . Look for ref ="3dcart", change it to "your store name". I think changing the first changes the second.
            Thanks for the heads up on this.

My feeling is, if 3dCart wants to advertise on my site, they can cover the bandwidth overages every month. That would be a fair trade. Otherwise, they have no business putting their marketing messages on our sites.

I'm going to review the TOS and see if they put any sneaky language in there that allows them to do this.
            Chris
            TC Life Safety
            TC Wireless

Comment

There's nothing sneaky in the TOS. Seems it's a you problem since it keeps coming back on your site. It has never come back on my site no matter what update they have pushed out.
              David
              David's Gifts and Things

Comment

It appears that it's not just a me problem, since other users are noticing (and complaining about) the same thing.
                Chris
                TC Life Safety
                TC Wireless

Comment

Yep it was on the bottom of my site again and I've made no changes...it's gone again now, but I'll check it more regularly in the future thanks to this post

Comment

ElegantWeddings had a good suggestion to just comment the code out. You'll find it in Store Language > frame > copyright1.
                    Chris
                    TC Life Safety
                    TC Wireless

Comment

I'll weight in quickly. I removed it from my site and it has never returned. I really doubt that 3dcart is trying to be sneaky here. I think they just have it set up in such a way that if you don't remove it properly then things revert when updates occur, just by the nature of it.

I could go on and tell you how their "common" folders work and update when they upgrade their templates, fix security issues, etc. Instead of getting wordy I'll just say that they have things set up to do universal updates and if you want things to remain static on your site you have to set it up properly.

Like I said, I really don't think they're conspiring to brand your site.
                      www.KarensCookies.net
                      Cookie Decorating Simplified

Comment

It won't return on your site if you remove or comment-out the tag in frame.html ([frame_copyright1]). I liked having the copyright notice generate dynamically, so I kept it there after initially removing the "powered by 3dCart" text.

It was only after the last update that I realized they're automatically inserting the "powered by 3dCart" text back into that field.

It would be just as easy for them to remove that from the update process as it was for me to remove the tag from my template. I just thought it was a little underhanded.
                        Chris
                        TC Life Safety
                        TC Wireless

Comment

I just noticed mine is back. I removed it almost a year ago.

Comment

I hope this whole Copywrite talk doesnt lead to a lawsuit about piracy, infringements or some other Lawyer political drawn up stupidity.

OH Wait... Who's intellectual property does 3dcart belong to? us when we rent it? and build a site?

LoL wink; wink;
                            Last edited by TurnkeyDropshipBusiness; 03-13-2012, 03:56 PM.
                            Want 1000 Facebook Likes or Shares? G+1? Tweets? 3Dcart Design and Tweaking - Product Data Solutions - Custom Excel Upload Sheets - SEO Services - FREE Blog Hosting.

Comment

Originally posted by TurnkeyDropshipBusiness View Post
                              I hope this whole Copywrite talk doesnt lead to a lawsuit about piracy, infringements or some other Lawyer political drawn up stupidity.

LoL wink; wink;
                              If you would have paid attention to the whole thread you would realize it's not about any copyright issue. Just the fact that they insert their name in the "Copyright" section of the template.
                              David
                              David's Gifts and Things

Comment

Working...
                              X