Shipping Weight vs. Product Weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping Weight vs. Product Weight

I'm curious as to how others are handling this with their website. Our average merchandise we sell either get shipped out via UPS Ground or USPS Priority Mail and our typical standard box & supplies weighs approximately 2.3 LBS. What we have done is add this weight to every product. This poses a problem when customers order multiple items that would typically have a product weight of less than a pound but are billed for 3lbs per item. It will sky rocket their shipping cost.

What are you doing to fix this problem?

We handle this by marking up the shipping rate by increasing with a certain percentage.
    Settings>Shipping>Shipping Methods :Markup

Elegant Weddings +
    www.elegantweddingsplus.ca
    www.elegantweddingsplus.com

Comment

Originally posted by ElegantWeddings View Post
      We handle this by marking up the shipping rate by increasing with a certain percentage.
      Settings>Shipping>Shipping Methods :Markup

How much do you typically mark up? I would like to set a fair rate for both the consumer and us but I seem to be at a loss.

Comment

You will need to do some calculations to come up with the markup average.

Here is how we did:
        • Calculate total shipping costs including packaging and supplies to ship different quantities (i.e 1,3,5,7...etc) to the furthest Zipcode from your location.
        • Calculate shipping cost just for the supplies (without packaging) for the same quantities and zipcode.
        • Get the difference of costs and find the average difference in percentage.
        • This will be your markup
        Elegant Weddings +
        www.elegantweddingsplus.ca
        www.elegantweddingsplus.com

Comment

Working...
        X