DONE with ProStores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DONE with ProStores

I finally moved my original store from ProStores to 3DCart.

QUESTION: I dropped a LOT of products when I moved, things I won't be carrying again. Is there any way, besides 301s to break all of those links permanently?
    Last edited by celebra1; 03-25-2012, 10:23 PM.

Do you know all the url's from the pro stores site?
    Did you perform a site scan?
    If so redirect related products to categories and home page if need be even if you do not carry the products anymore.
    most people I meet do not even realize how many links they have from forums that they are not even involved with.

Webmaster tools & analytic's should be checked daily for inbound traffic

301 & Keep those links...
    Want 1000 Facebook Likes or Shares? G+1? Tweets? 3Dcart Design and Tweaking - Product Data Solutions - Custom Excel Upload Sheets - SEO Services - FREE Blog Hosting.

Comment

Question was read!

There is a way to deal with broken links.

Makes no sense why you would want to LOSE those links. But.....
      Want 1000 Facebook Likes or Shares? G+1? Tweets? 3Dcart Design and Tweaking - Product Data Solutions - Custom Excel Upload Sheets - SEO Services - FREE Blog Hosting.

Comment

Answer Found

What I need to have done can only be done on the server side.

Avoiding Redirects
        Last edited by celebra1; 03-25-2012, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Okay, I admit it: I have no idea what I just read in the document Celebra posted. I guess I have to print it out and "digest" it over the next few days. LOL

But I do appreciate the post and link.

Thanks, Celebra!
          Uta =)

Comment

I'm curious as to what exactly you, as the user, would want to happen if you click on a link that is for a product in a store that no longer exists? I only see three reasonable options:
            1. Redirect to a special error page of "This product no longer exists"
            2. Redirect to a category of similar products
            3. Redirect to the store page

What else would make sense to happen?

I read over the Google page you linked, and fully understood it. It does not tell you to not use redirects when appropriate. I think here is exactly when they are appropriate.

Comment

If I'm wrong then that's that but in the meantime I will stick with my process and RETAIN 1000's of links/url's from dead products from forums that users posted and blog post's ect.

I put To much work into ranking product pages so even if the product gets discontinued and you are not selling that item that link has huge value. I don't like 404's

If you never try to rank or link your inner pages then you shouldn't be worried. but if you spend the time on an article campaign for a product and you want to keep that url/links live.

In time all the old indexed pages will go bye bye and you may regain your old traffic back in a few months... Maybe!

I guess do what works for you. other people's way may not be for you. My process works for me!

Ever wonder how bestbuy, walmart & target handle this????

Comment

We moved from ProStores to 3dcart earlier this year and couldn't be happier with the transition. The eCommerce functionality that 3dcart offers at similar price levels is far superior and makes managing the store a lot easier. There are some improvements needed for the 3dcart platform and we hope that they continue to push the boundary. Its good to catch up with some other folks that transitioned over here as well. Goodluck everyone!
                GreenEcoSavers
                Follow GreenEcoSavers on Facebook
                Follow GreenEcoSavers on Twitter
                Follow GreenEcoSavers on Pinterest

Comment

Working...
                X