Indexing of Forum Posts in Search Engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indexing of Forum Posts in Search Engines

I hate to throw this out there because I think the forums are a great resource for getting quick answers and support within the 3dcart community...

But I would really like to see these forum posts no longer indexed by search engines. Although I know a link in a forum post can (or used to be helpful) as far as linking goes. But I'd prefer to know that whatever is shared in these forums is not going to be easily found by competitors or anyone outside of the 3dcart community. I find myself spending far too much time editing my posts and in some cases not commenting on a post simply because I know
    that it's going to show up somewhere outside of these forums.

Isn't this something that 3dcart can implement?

I'm curious to know others' thoughts on this.

mee too
    that why i dont show my site here

Comment

I agree, but keep in mind 3DC needs to market their business and I have a feeling all of the content generated in these forums are a real marketing bonus.

That being said it would be great if they created an area that only site owners could access which could be used to post more 'sensitive' material.

Comment

Originally posted by mueller View Post
        I agree, but keep in mind 3DC needs to market their business and I have a feeling all of the content generated in these forums are a real marketing bonus.

That being said it would be great if they created an area that only site owners could access which could be used to post more 'sensitive' material.

Makes sense...but I agree with you - an area for site owners only would be very helpful and appreciated for more sensitive material.

Comment

I belong to & adminitor many message boards and we often utilize "private, invite only forums" for such sensitive info.

I think it's a great idea...and depending on the software behind this board, I'd suggest the Admin create a group called something like "3DCart Clients", assign to it only those that are using 3Dcart for their stores, and then create a forum that only people belonging to "3DCart Clients" can see.

I still think this place would benefit from some users being promoted to "moderators" with some limited power (limited of course) to make changes/improvements/guide discussions/etc.

Comment

I would tend to disagree. some might have a question about 3dcart and do a google search rather than a forum search. by indexing the forum, the users will still find the answers. it is also a way to build the community.

actually you will notice that not only are the forums public, they actually have, "Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.0.0 RC8"

perhaps the problem is that alot users post their website in signatures...just change your signature and you should be fine!

Comment

I would prefer if they were private as well.

Comment

Originally posted by bristweb View Post
                actually you will notice that not only are the forums public, they actually have, "Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.0.0 RC8"
                I did notice that when this discussion popped up since I was curious what software they were using for this forum. Considering it is VBulletin there is no reason they couldn't just set up a few areas that are store owner only. I don't think it is only an issue of signatures but rather that sometimes a store owner may want to discuss something that they would prefer is not open to public viewing and also requires that they divulge certain store information so that it makes sense.

The purpose of these forums needs to be identified. If the purpose is for marketing the 3DC system only then of course it makes no sense to have restricted areas, but if the purpose is also to help the store owners run more effective sites and solve problems they may be having then it would make sense to have some sections that are closed.

The downside for 3DC, other than some areas not being indexed for SEO purposes, would be additional maintenance on their part in that they would have to approve and verify store owner status and also remove owner status if someone leaves 3DC.

Comment

Personally - and I'm not trying to start any battles here - I'm not sure I would advise posting anything in ANY forum that is "sensitive" or could potentially adversely affect one's business. Sorta the same way that I might discourage anyone from discussing in "group therapy" what should only be discussed one-on-one with your therapist! ;)

This forum, for us, has always been a perk - offered purely as a courtesy by 3dcart. We would much prefer their efforts be directed to the continuing improvement of the service/product we are paying for.

Private Messages, etc. can always be utilized for those subjects of a sensitive nature.

Just another opinion...

Comment

Originally posted by www.frik-n-frak.com View Post
                    Personally - and I'm not trying to start any battles here - I'm not sure I would advise posting anything in ANY forum that is "sensitive" or could potentially adversely affect one's business. Sorta the same way that I might discourage anyone from discussing in "group therapy" what should only be discussed one-on-one with your therapist! ;)

This forum, for us, has always been a perk - offered purely as a courtesy by 3dcart. We would much prefer their efforts be directed to the continuing improvement of the service/product we are paying for.

Private Messages, etc. can always be utilized for those subjects of a sensitive nature.

Just another opinion...

Although I understand what you're saying as well and for the most part, I agree - I think the forums are a win-win situation for both us the merchants and 3dcart. The forums to some extent allow 3dcart to not be inundated with every little (and some bigger) issues that we face. I always check the forums first before submitting a support ticket for an issue or question that I have. If the forums weren't here, I could only imagine the amount of calls, emails, and support tickets they would have received from me alone. :)

But you're right whether there's a private section or not, it's important to exercise prudence in choosing what information to divulge. Private messaging can be helpful here, but in many cases it's hard to know who'll have the answer you need for a particular problem.

I still like the idea of a private section, but then would we all end up there to post questions and concerns? I don't know but I'd love to know (after they're done with the next release) what 3dcart thinks.

Comment

Originally posted by ScribeTime View Post
                      I still like the idea of a private section, but then would we all end up there to post questions and concerns?
                      I agree with everything above about being prudent when choosing what to post, but this is the only concern I would have if they did open up a store owner only section. I would hate to see all of the general discussions begin hiding behind a wall.

Perhaps the suggestion to allow some moderators into the fold as suggested earlier in this thread, would help keep things in the right area.

Comment

Working...
                      X