Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you tire from the folks that want something for nothing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you tire from the folks that want something for nothing?

Always people asking for discounts?!?!
    A school, a team, a booster club, a non-profit, etc......
    yawn,
    nope!
    I need to make money just like you do. :rolleyes:

I have actually read in many magazines recently condoning this type of behavior. They actually tell people how to ask for discounts, and if customer service says no, to then ask to speak to a manager. The most recent article I read about this even spoke in detail about doing this to etailers, particular small and medium businesses.

Comment

I get people asking for things all the time. We work with a lot of designers and architects and they always want samples and trade discounts. They are always saying that it is for a really big job. After sending samples, rarely do they ever buy their big amount and if they order more at all, their big amount is no where near what they proclaimed at the start.

We cut this off a long time ago.

Comment

We used to send out hundreds of fabric swatch kits each week when they were free. When I started seeing posts on various message boards where other vendors have told their customers to order our "free" swatches and then come to them to place their order, I blew a gasket. Now we charge a nominal fee for them, with free shipping, and include a gift certificate equal to what they paid, which can be applied toward their future purchase. If they order, great! If they don't, at least we've covered our costs.

I actually saw a posting on a "free stuff" web site that listed our swatches--saw a lot of requests from that link as well, for people who had absolutely no use for our products--just wanted it because it was free!

Comment

It's just that attitude of the small consumer minority (and becoming a greater consumer minority) that irks me.
          I don't have a problem with consumers trying to negotitate or get a more favorable price for a product, but, in my comments section I often get comments like "send overnight shipping, need tomorrow" when they have paid for UPS ground shipping (which is our only available shipping option!) and other unreasonable requests. I have a seperate shipping policy page, with maps and estimated shipping timeframes and in EVERY product description I state "shipping ground to lower 48 states ONLY".
          Are so many folks just daft and illiterate? :rolleyes:

Comment

Make a checkout question that says something like, "I understand that my product will ship via UPS Ground" and make it a required question.

We had to do that for the same reason--the product would say "made to order, allow 2 weeks", the customer would select overnight shipping, then get angry when it wasn't in their hands the next day. We have about 5 required questions, covering all that stuff and it has completely eliminated that problem.

Comment

In bold letters in EVERY product description we have we ship to the lower 48 states only. hawaii alaska puerto rico virgin islands excluded. Yet I get emails that say "Why can't I put my address in the shipping section? I'm in Hawaii. Thanks." :rolleyes: I just don't know how we can be more clear.
              I guess we can give the checkout questions a try. Thanks. :)

Comment

I implemented a question at the end of checkout in regards to our shipping and return policy in an effort to stop outlandish requests that specifically go against our policies. I still get outlandish requests that go against our policies. People just don't read. I have seen it a million times in a million different fields.

Comment

Okay, I don't know where to turn.......:rolleyes:

I have this:

Zip Code (no dashes/spaces) in the shipping and billing of checkout.

I get this:

12345-6789

which is ten characters.
                  My credit card processor wont process their charge card.

I give up!

Perhaps it's better I not sell to folks that can't follow field prompts....:rolleyes:

Comment

Do you get calls to order offline?
                    We get several every so often, and when we talk to them, we ask, is there a problem ordering online?
                    And the usual response is I don't feel secure. :rolleyes:
                    But, you feel more secure giving your credit card info to John Doe on the telephone?
                    I really don't understand this one.
                    Once they have contacted a "live body" at a website, what do they fear from ordering online?
                    I just don't get it.:confused:

Comment

Isn't that funny--little do they know that you are going to be placing their order on the same online form!

Comment

Actually, I don't do that. I could never get it to work right. Also, I only think it's fair that if they don't want their info I don't enter it there :)

Comment

I get that all the time with wanting to order on the phone. We cut it out completely since our products have so many options. It seemed like our phone orders had a really high "error" rate for mis-shipments as opposed to the orders online. I ordered blue and you sent me red, even though red was on the confirmation. You must have entered it wrong.

Taking orders via phone led us into a he said she said situation. Now that we have eliminated phone orders, our error rate is suddenly way down. Like 0%. Now we can just say look at the confirmation, and the fact that you have to look at the order 3 times before you enter your card information.

By the way, I love the people that say I accidently ordered and need to cancel. Like you accidently added 10 different items, entered your information and your correct card number? Thanks but you just cost me 3% credit card fee.

Comment

We have today eliminated "mail order" and checks and money orders.
                            That said, phone orders sometimes arise, but, with mail order, what happens with us is that the customer doesn't always submit the proper amount and we get shafted not knowing what the amount of the order should have been. Too many orders to scrutinize.
                            Last edited by Mark; 10-26-2008, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                              Do you get calls to order offline?
                              We get several every so often, and when we talk to them, we ask, is there a problem ordering online?
                              And the usual response is I don't feel secure. :rolleyes:
                              But, you feel more secure giving your credit card info to John Doe on the telephone?
                              I really don't understand this one.
                              Once they have contacted a "live body" at a website, what do they fear from ordering online?
                              I just don't get it.:confused:
                              Since I have a LiveChat feature, I've had these types of issue where they would rather call and give out their credit card information than doing it straight from the online store. My customers are basically "geeks" and are "techie", they pretty much into online shopping.

Those times that I have come across this, I explain to them that it is better to purchase at the store since we are using PayPal. Which basically secures their credit card information from sharing it with us, the merchant. This has helped on the times it happened.

Comment

Working...
                              X