No announcement yet.

I've had it with the US Postal Service!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've had it with the US Postal Service!

Once again (happens so frequently!) their applet is not working, so any customer with a foreign shipping address gets the dreaded "there are no shipping methods to your location" message every time they try to place an order.

Since we can do custom shipping based on weight, zip code, etc., it would seem reasonable that 3d could make another option based on country--that way I could just do a flat rate shipping for foreign orders and make life SO much easier. Unfortunately, for some reason they tell me they cannot do that.

Does anyone else ever have this issue with the USPS? It isn't just holiday time--it goes down frequently. We get quite a few orders from the UK and Canada, and I'm losing those sales. Very frustrated right now!

we got an apology email from USPS regarding their intermittent service interuptions. :o

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
      we got an apology email from USPS regarding their intermittent service interuptions. :o
      This is a formed response. I get this everytime I use USPS.com in the last couple of weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by rrw View Post
        Since we can do custom shipping based on weight, zip code, etc., it would seem reasonable that 3d could make another option based on country--that way I could just do a flat rate shipping for foreign orders and make life SO much easier. Unfortunately, for some reason they tell me they cannot do that.

I feel like I must not be understanding what you are asking here, because I thought you could do this. Our standard shipping in the U.S. is set up by value. IE $0-$50 is $5.95, etc. The only other country we ship to out than the U.S. is Canada, and that is set up to be our standard shipping cost plus $15. So If your purchase was $30, and you lived in Canada it would be $20.95 for shipping.

If that isn't what you are talking about, then sorry I totally missed the mark. :)

Comment

We ship all foreign orders exclusively through USPS Express Mail International. What I wanted to do was bypass the USPS applet (so it wouldn't calculate shipping) since it is down so often, and charge a flat rate for all foreign shipments. In order to do so, it would have to be a custom shipping method, and right now there is no way to customize it to shipping country. We can customize it for weight, etc., but not to the country.

Comment

I would think that a custom shipping method (by quantity or value) could work?

When creating set "Country" drop down to "All" - set "Shipping Method" to either "Custom - By Value" or "Custom - by Quantity"... or even by weight would work - click "Insert."

You might now want to change the caption to something like "Express Mail International - EMS' or something...

In the Options columns - click on the "Exclude" list and add the United States to the list of countries to be excluded from being able to use this shipping method.

You'll also need to edit your ranges - if "By Value" perhaps Min = .01, Max. = 10,000.00, Shipping = $35.00... or whatever.

Make the profile active by checking off the little box and now... international customers should see this shipping option when checking out. It does not rely on the USPS servers, etc.

Would this not work for you?

~fr*k

Comment

...if you HAD to assign a unique flat shipping rate to individual countries (and this would be a bit tedious depending on how many countries you ship to) you could create a profile for each country that excludes all countries other than the one the profile is being created for. Ugh... what a pain! But...

~fr_k

Comment

Wow--thanks for that--I had not even considered just excluding US from the list! That's why I love these boards!!!

For what we ship, we find that our prices are usually $33-$37, so if we did a flat rate of $35.00 then we would cover ourselves, and never have to worry about all of the lost customers that we have when they see the "no shipping to your location" method that pops up frequently. I'll do it tomorrow!

Thank You!!!

Comment

This is what I meant in my example of what we do with Canada. I guess I wasn't very clear.

Comment

Thank you for that too--I just hadn't thought of the obvious usage of the "exclusion" function, since I didn't want to do a custom feature for all. Sorry, I'm a little slow on this stuff sometimes! :)

Comment

Working...
                    X