Customer confused on 1-page checkout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Customer confused on 1-page checkout

I just had a customer email to say they cancelled their order because they couldn't figure out how to remove an item from their shopping cart. I was confused at first but then figured out what was going on...

They had clicked on CHECKOUT and I had the new 1-page checkout in place. With the one-page checkout you can't modify your cart and there is no UPDATE CART button (that I could see) anywhere to tell them they can modify their cart.

She kept trying to change the quantities. It let's you highlight the numbers but they aren't really fields so it doesn't do anything. She finally got so frustrated she just left.

Luckily she emailed me so I was aware of the problem.

Has anyone else run into this? Have you looked at the 1-page checkout and noticed you can't update the cart from that screen.

Any suggestions on how to handle this?

Also - when the user has MANY items in their cart - the 1-page checkout is confusing because you have to scroll way down to actually see the checkout portion of the screen.

Can we set something so the products aren't displayed ont he checkout screen? Although in that scenario my customer would never have noticed that she had one item entered twice.

Suggestions?
    I'm my just go back to the mult-page checkout - but it isn't charging tax. But with the multi-page I can get insurance and they can modify their cart.

Not sure what to do - I was so hoping the 1-page checkout would work.

Thanks!
    C Ekman
    Owner/Designer: Cobweb Corner
    http://www.cobwebcorner.com

I'm having problems with one-page checkout as well. Not only do I echo the previous poster's sentiments (I can't believe this was missed during development/testing), but I'd also like to be able to modify the layout of the page.

For example, everything we sell is delivered electronically so we have no use for anything related to shipping on the checkout page(s). I know that I can edit the template file for the checkout, but when I removed the shipping data it broke the page. I've opened a ticket about this but I'm still waiting to hear back, so I thought I'd ask here in case someone has figured it out already.

I think the customer should be able to change the quantity of the items or remove them from the cart at the checkout page - just like most other webstores allow.

Comment

I'm not 100% certain, but doesn't the Store Settings>"Items on View Cart" limit the number of items shown on the checkout page? Also, in our case, if the customer needs to make a revision to their cart they can simply click on the "View Cart" button, make changes and the head back to the checkout page.

I think too much "capability" on the one page checkout could potentially strip it of it's simplicity?

One thing we've noticed is that with the 3 step checkout, we're much more likely to capture an email address and be able to send a "incomplete order notice" vs. the one page checkout. Thant's a big deal for us as we've had pretty good success in following up with folks who have abandoned their carts and assisting them through completion of their order.

We're sort of experimenting around a bit with the one page checkout thing. I've read some interesting view points both pro and con. Would love to hear other's opinions on the 1 page vs. 3 page checkout and their effect on conversions.

~fr_k

Comment

Can't use the 1 page checkout yet. Doesn't accept the revisions we made to the three page checkout we had before. This will be the last thing we try to address after the upgrade. Much more pressing issues beforehand.
        But, we do like some of the new features of 3.0 :D

Comment

We are also still using the multiple page checkout, although I was very excited about switching to single page checkout, because of some issues.

One thing that popped out to me immediately is that the shipping to address is automatically grayed out and populated with billing info - it should not be like that as a default. We have a lot of people shipping gifts, and most sites will fill the address for "ship to" in with the billing address when you click the checkmark - not have it automatically filled in and grayed out when you arrive at that page - I think that is confusing to users.

Comment

Originally posted by www.frik-n-frak.com View Post
            I'm not 100% certain, but doesn't the Store Settings>"Items on View Cart" limit the number of items shown on the checkout page? Also, in our case, if the customer needs to make a revision to their cart they can simply click on the "View Cart" button, make changes and the head back to the checkout page.
            ~fr_k
            This was the problem- I couldn't find a View Cart or update Cart button once you got the the 1-page checkout screen. If it was there it wasn't obvious to me or my customer. I knew that if I clicked on a category - or Home page then the cart would show in to the side - and the quantities could be changed there - but it was obviously not intuitive to the customer as they abandonded the sale.
            C Ekman
            Owner/Designer: Cobweb Corner
            http://www.cobwebcorner.com

Comment

some of the newer themes have a small shopping cart button. That's what we use now, it's great! :)

Comment

Working...
              X