thumbnail.asp file affects on Bandwidth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thumbnail.asp file affects on Bandwidth

I was upgraded to V3 the last week of December. Since then my bandwidth usage has exploded.

I ran my stats today once for the entire month of January and once for the entire month of December.

By the way - I was WAY busier in December.

Anyway...
    The biggest change by FAR was the bandwidth usage for file thumbnail.asp.

In December my usage assigned to this file was just over 34,000

For January my usage was just over 3,000,000 BIG DIFFERENCE.

This is one third of my total bandwidth usage for the month.

Can some of you run the same reports for the month prior to being upgraded and the month you were upgraded and tell me if you get similar results?

Let me know what you find.
    Thanks

BTW - I'm going to submit a ticket to see if support can explain what might have changed - I just want to know if you experienced similar findings.
    C Ekman
    Owner/Designer: Cobweb Corner
    http://www.cobwebcorner.com

where do you track the bandwidth for a particular file??

Comment

on your home page there is tons of these in your source code:

<option value=477>Hillcroft House</option>

<option value=50>Hillside Samplings</option>

<option value=263>Hinzeit</option>

<option value=503>Historic Stitches</option>

<option value=609>Hoffman Distributing</option>

<option value=150>Holiday Sparrow Designs</option>

<option value=48>Hollie Designs</option>

<option value=92>Hollis Designs</option>

<option value=91>Holly House Designs</option>

<option value=365>Homespun Collectibles</option>

<option value=104>Homespun Elegance</option>

What are those??? :confused:

Comment

Mark - I'm just running STATS from my admin panel - the thumbnail.asp usage shows there.
        C Ekman

Comment

Those are my cross stitch publishers - that's how I'm using the Manufacturer listing option. I have a LOT of publishers!!!

That's just text though - so shouldn't affect bandwidth.
          C Ekman

Comment

So, this isn't REPORTS>STATISTICS bandwidth report?
            Do you have the STATS package?

Comment

Repeating this post from the other bandwidth thread since this response from support is directly related to the thumbnail.asp file.

Here is the response to my ticket that I got from Jimmy

The thumbnail.asp is a function used to display images with fixed sizes and using less bandwidth.

In 2.2 we were only using this function on the images displayed in the VIEW CART page.

Now in 3.0 since the function was working great, we decided to implement it on all the product pages, so now it's being used a lot more than before. Now this file is using more bandwidth because is being called more times, but this is replacing the bandwidth used for all those images before.

If you like to try, you can easily edit the listing_0.html and remove the reference to thumbnail.asp and keeping just the image1 tag.
              This is exactly what I thought was happening. V3.0 is calling thumbnail.asp much more often to RESIZE/FORMAT images - in V2.0 it was called much less often.

What I'm not sure I agree on and need to look into is that the comment:
              but this is replacing the bandwidth used for all those images before
              I'm glad it's working well. In the product listing page I suspect that the thumbnail.asp file is keeping different sized pictures from making the page move the text around - i.e. - it is keeping the display of the page consistent - which I appreciate.

However - I believe this is costing me from $15 to $20 a month in additional bandwidth.

My theory, and it is only that, is the thumbnail.asp program allows the cart to display images in a default max width/height so descriptions etc. don't get 'scrunched up' if a product image is wider than 'standard'.

My question - is it being used to also display actual thumbnails - for example on a search page?

At 100 TIMES for bandwidth (for that single file) it may be worth finding places where it isn't needed - but I haven't looked at the code yet to see what is involved to remove it and what the impact would be. (note I'm not saying I have 100 times more bandwidth usage overall - but I do for the thumbnail.asp file. For me this is resulting in approximately 3GB mor bandwidth usage per month).

However - this is a VERY expensive change for me personally.

I want to make sure that where an actual thumbnail image is supposed to be displayed that it isn't taking the larger image, resizing it with thumbnail.asp and then displaying a smaller version. Does that make sense?
              C Ekman

Comment

cekman,

Using thumbnail.asp instead of downloading the thumbnail image does not mean more bandwidth is being used. If you call thumbnail.asp 10 times, and call an image 10 times, the end result is the same. Well, actually thumbnail.asp saves you a little bandwidth, as it will resize that image if needs to be resized.

As i mentioned initially, there is no change on the software that could make you use more bandwidth. You have more visitors, that's what's making it use more. If you had half the visitors that you did last month, i bet you bandwidth usage will be about half as well.

Bandwidth is measured by the amount of data sent from your store, to a visitor's computer. If you were to send IMAGES, or, thumbnail.asp which compresses and sends an image, the end result is the same. If thumbnail was making images LARGER, then, yes, i would agree with you that this may be a reason for more usage, but it is not.
                ----------------------------
                Gonzalo Gil
                3dCart Support
                800-828-6650 x111

Comment

I am so grateful to Jimmy for his professional and curteous responses to my tickets. In my previous post Jimmy stated the following:

Now in 3.0 since the function was working great, we decided to implement it on all the product pages, so now it's being used a lot more than before. Now this file is using more bandwidth because is being called more times, but this is replacing the bandwidth used for all those images before.
                  So to verify this I looked at my IMAGE bandwidth for 7 months and compared it to the thumbnail.asp bandwidth for the same 7 months.

Jimmy is correct - much of the bandwidth that is used by thumbnail.asp is taken AWAY from the IMAGES bandwidth.

I have a couple of outstanding questions for Jimmy yet - and will let you know what i find with those.

Thank you Jimmy for not accusing me of anything and simply providing me with the correct place to look at my stats!!! So much appreciated.
                  C Ekman

Comment

Working...
                  X