CSS in 3dCart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSS in 3dCart

Hello, All. I just signed up for 3dCart today. I am sure I will have a lot of questions. My first one is this, can I have a style sheet in addition to the default styles created within the Admin panel? My guess is that I could upload a style sheet and then reference it on all pages via the global header.

Thanks!

Welcome aboard! Based on our experience so far, I don't think that you will regret your decision.

You can certainly call your style sheet using the method you mentioned.

You could also do the following:

1) pick a design theme that most closely resembles what you would like your site to look like
    2) Through the ftp, find the css file that is associated with the design theme you have chosen
    3) make a copy of that css file to your local hard drive
    4) make another copy called something like filename_original.css and save to the same location on the ftp site (this will give you two copies of the original css file that you started with)
    5) modify the css file 'till your heart's content! I actually took my custom.css from and merged it with my 3DC css file. As I started to design the site, I stripped out any of the stuff from my MC store that didn't get used.

The benefit here would be that you only have 1 style sheet instead of having to remember which sheet controls which items.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Hey, I forgot that you were over on this platform now! The idea of merging my custom css file with the default style sheet sounds like the way to go.

While I have your ear, here's another one: How do I reference specific features, such as the cart or search function? If I want to put the search field in a particular place, is there a call function I can use to make that happen?

Finally, I know that everything is driven by html templates. Where are these, and can I modify them myself?

(I'm still looking for them on the demo, as my welcome letter/instructions has not yet come in.)

Comment

How do I reference specific features, such as the cart or search function? If I want to put the search field in a particular place, is there a call function I can use to make that happen?
        I find the easiest way to do this is locate the functionality you want to move or add to a page, by locating it on another page or in another location. Then grab the template that you found it on and look to see what they are doing. Then you can either copy and paste where you need it or re-write if necessary.

I hope some day the offer a comprehensive list of all the functions we can take advantage of at 3dCart, but until then it is in the forums or in a ticket if you can't find it on an existing page.

Finally, I know that everything is driven by html templates. Where are these, and can I modify them myself?
        There is another post here with more detail (I think Jimmy wrote it) regarding their file structure and how to work with it, but basically you will find your files in one of two places:
        1) assets -> templates -> [selected template]*
        2) assets -> templates -> common
        *[selected template] is found in the admin under Settings -> Design -> Themes & Styles

I think the consensus is to copy all of the files from Common into your current selected template folder and then back that up. Then make all edits to that folder since this is where the system looks for all files first, then the common folder.

If I am getting any of this wrong, someone please correct me.

Comment

Originally posted by robert

(I'm still looking for them on the demo, as my welcome letter/instructions has not yet come in.)
          Robert,

I dont't think that FTP access is included with the demo. If memory serves, I actually ended up signing up just so that I could start to customize the templates.

Comment

I am set up now, but I don't see anything that looks like FTP access. Nor can I see any folder that appears to contain these mystery templates. Any suggestions on where to look?

My sense is that once I've mastered the template system, and once I figure out the 3dCart equivalent to Monster's powerful html call functions, I'll know pretty much everything I need to know to create our new site.

Comment

Your welcome letter has the FTP instructions, Robert. If you don't already pick up a program like CuteFTP, among others available.

Comment

Your welcome letter has the FTP instructions, Robert. If you don't already pick up a program like CuteFTP, among others available.
                I agree CuteFTP is the best FTP program especially with some of the features in the latest version like lock-step navigation and thumbnails on remote server.

But if you don't want to spend the money and you use Firefox, there is a FTP extension that is fairly easy to use. It is called Fire FTP

Comment

If you want a free FTP client, try FileZilla

http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/
                  ----------------------------
                  Gonzalo Gil
                  3dCart Support
                  800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Another one that you can try is SmartFTP. http://www.smartftp.com. It is free.

Comment

Thanks, all. I was looking for an integrated FTP program on the Admin panel. My boo boo.

Comment

Working...
                      X