Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Files getting over-written in common folder

Hello all,

Have you noticed that your files in the common folder keep getting over written at least once every week or so? If you have not customized your pages, I'm sure it's not a big deal, but if you do change things in your category, home, listing and other templates, it is a very big deal. The only fix that I've found is to save all my custom pages on my local hard drive and when they get updated (over-written) or whatever you want to call it by 3d cart you can ftp the files back into your common folder. Have any of you noticed this problem?

Are you using the template editor, or are you uploading your custom pages via FTP?

Comment

I use ftp to upload my files. What's happening is like when we got switched over to ver. 3 and we had to update our files, but now it's doing it every week or two. It's not that big of a deal since I have all the files saved, but if there are people that have customized their sites, they may want to save those files to keep from having to go back and redo all of them.

Comment

Yes, I noticed that too. And, I asked for a fix in the New Features Request section. I don't think the files in your "active" template folder are overwritten, just the files in the "common folder". The problem is, some files are global to the cart ( such as the UPS and tracking pages and such) and will not be stored in your active template folder and are called from the common folder.

Comment

So if I place the category, listing, home page etc. in my active template folder, I won't have this problem anymore?

Comment

If you use the admin panel to edit the templates in the common folder, they are automatically saved into your active style template folder.
            For example, if you open the common folder, and edit the "listing_o.html" file, it will be saved in "active style/theme" template folder. The file in the common folder is unchanged. However, certain files in the common folder (tracking templates and such) will NOT be saved to your active theme folder. Hope this makes sense.

Comment

Anyone experience same?

Comment

Mark, thanks for the help. I always update my templates through FTP and not through the admin panel. I copied all my custom templates to my active template file and we'll see if that fixes my problem.

Comment

I have a few custom changes to my templates that I made via the admin panel. A few of them are weeks old. They have never been overwritten.

Did you submit a ticket on this?
                  C Ekman
                  Owner/Designer: Cobweb Corner
                  http://www.cobwebcorner.com

Comment

cekman, I did not submit a ticket. I think the reason the files were getting overwritten is because I FTP the files into the common folder and not my active template folder. I don't use the admin panel to make my changes, since it takes so long. I'll know for sure in a week or so.

Comment

Ours just got written over again!!!!:mad:
                      We have to keep uploading the correct file every time they overwrite the common folder!
                      There is incorrect code in the common tracking html file!!!!!!
                      We have to keep uploading the corrected file.

Comment

Not sure if this has been extensively addressed here, but it seems people are still having trouble with the common folder.

Basically, don't upload anything in there because 3dCart overwrites those files for updates and what not. If you want to change the template, download the file FROM common, do your editing, then upload in your particular template folder (numbered 1-20 something). By default there you'll see frame.html and a few others. Plop it right in there leaving the stuff in common alone completely. The system will look in your specific numbered template folder FIRST, so if you have a template in there (sharing the name of the common stuff, mind you) that you've edited, it'll use that INSTEAD of the common folder's version.

Additionally, even if 3dcart didn't overwrite the common folder, I'd advise against uploading into anyway because it's always nice to have a solid back-up in case everything goes completely batty.

Hope everyone's cleared up on this now, it personally took me a while to figure out, haha.

Comment

This is not true for all the files, though.
                          That's what I was complaining about. in ups.html. This file is NOT used in your theme folder. It is pulled directly from common.
                          Last edited by Mark; 02-27-2009, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X