Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSL Certificates

Hello everyone,

I have been using the shared SSL Certificate from 3dcart and am trying to decide if I should purchase my own. What are your thoughts? Do you think it makes a difference?

If so, what certificate do you recommend? GoDaddy has them as low as $75/year, while most others are hundreds. Obviously my site needs to be secure, but is GeoTrust or Verisign really worth hundreds more than GoDaddy? Am I running a risk with the cheaper ones?

Thanks!
    www.totaloutdoorsman.com - Your Total Choice for the Outdoors

send 3dcart an email.
    They have a partnership with an ssl vendor and have pretty good pricing.
    I think your own ssl certificate is better, because it will show your domain name rather than the *.domainname.com wildcard shared certificate.

Comment

Thanks for the info! What is your opinion on the cheaper SSL certificates such as GoDaddy?

Comment

Not sure that GoDaddy are cheaper. Maybe they are, but, I always got pretty good pricing from 3dcart.
        It really doesn't matter who issues the certificate. The key here is to not use a "shared" certificate. A certificate issued soley to your specific domain works best. When shared certificates are used, security warnings may appear in certain browsers when redirected to your secure area...

Comment

Hi Mark! Go with Godaddy. You won't get any cheaper pricing than theirs and they are a well known and trusted company. We've been using their ssl (29.99/year) for about 5 years now and are very happy and have never had a problem.

Cheers!
          (¯`v´¯)
          `*.¸.*´

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
          (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•
          * P£†®ª *

Shadow Trailers
          www.TrailerandTruckParts.com
          www.Trailer-Wheels.com
          www.iTrailerParts.com

Comment

We too are a very satisfied Go Daddy customer

Comment

how do you get the certificate installed?

Comment

You have to submit a ticket and tech support does it.

Comment

When using GoDaddy for SSL Certificate, which one are you using? What is really the difference between the Standard and the Deluxe?

I know very little in this area. I have always used the shared one that comes with my shopping cart. I don't like it showing .3dcartstores.com though so I would like to get off the shared ssl.

Comment

I was wondering the same thing. The logos appear the same to me, so I don't know why one would be better than the other from the customer's standpoint. Is there something we should be worried about as the merchant?

Comment

ditto.

Does the 30 certificate give you a link to verify?

Comment

The logo has changed since we last renewed, and it has a real-time clock with "high assurance SSL" running across. I thought we had the basic one, but maybe their plans have changed (lucky us, we'll have to pay more next time!) It appears that we now have the deluxe version--when a customer clicks on the link this is what they see:

This Web site is secured with a GoDaddy.com Web Server Certificate. Transactions on the site are protected with up to 256-bit Secure Sockets Layer encryption.

Identity and Domain Control Verified
                        GoDaddy.com has verified that:

1. VeilShop.com controls the domain: www.veilshop.com
                        2. VeilShop.com is registered with a government entity in the country in which it is doing business.

Site Name
                        www.veilshop.com

Certificate Status
                        Certificate is valid (01/29/2008 - 06/22/2009)

Certificate-Holding Entity
                        Company Name: VeilShop.com
                        Division: VeilShop.com
                        Locality: West Chester
                        State: Ohio

Comment

It appears the deluxe gives a little more information. The Standard simply states:

This Web site is secured with a GoDaddy.com Web Server Certificate. Transactions on the site are protected with up to 256-bit Secure Sockets Layer encryption.

Domain Control Verified
                          GoDaddy.com has verified that the certificate holder controls the domain: www.yourdomain.com

Site Name
                          www.yourdomain.com

Certificate Status
                          Certificate is valid (07/11/2008 - 08/19/2010)
                          The deluxe states:

Identity and Domain Control Verified
                          GoDaddy.com has verified that:

YourDomain.com controls the domain: www.yourdomain.com
                          YourDomain.com is registered with a government entity in the country in which it is doing business.

Site Name
                          www.YourDomain.com

Certificate Status
                          Certificate is valid (01/29/2008 - 06/22/2009)

Certificate-Holding Entity
                          Company Name:
                          Division:
                          Locality:
                          State:
                          So, the deluxe does provide more information for the customer. Not sure if the additional information is worth over 2X the cost/year. I know I personally have never clicked one of the seals to verify the information before placing an order...

Comment

dcox,

Check the field staff links on your home page. They link to your shared certificate site and cause a security warning.
                            :)

Comment

Good catch! Thanks for the heads up. I fixed it!

Comment

Working...
                              X