Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promotion Manager for Free Products

Hello everyone,

I have some products that I would like to offer a promotion for that would allow the customer to choose a "free gift" if the product is purchased. The trick is, I would like the customer to choose which gift they would like. So, they buy product A, then they have the choice of ONE of product B, C, or D...

I have been playing with my promotion manager and figured out how to give them a free gift, but they do not get to choose what that gift is (I choose that when setting up the promotion). I have 3-4 "gifts" of basically the same value that I would like to offer.

Is there a promotion that would allow me to setup 3dCart such that IF product A is purchased, choose Product B, C, OR D for free?

Thanks!
    www.totaloutdoorsman.com - Your Total Choice for the Outdoors

When I was having trouble with promotions support told me I could not have any free products with ANY options. In fact they said it was best to set up a separate product record just for that type. My problems seemed to be less frequent when I only used products that didn't have options.

So - that would make it very hard to let the user select what they wanted.

Check with support to make sure this is still true.
    C Ekman
    Owner/Designer: Cobweb Corner
    http://www.cobwebcorner.com

Comment

Have you considered setting up the free products as options? They purchase the product and must choose the free product from one of the selections.
      Luxlife

Comment

Thanks for the input. I will experiment with it a little more today. I have not considered setting them up as options with a price of 0.00. As long as that option could not be purchased alone, I would be fine. This would be particularly easy in this case because I am not tracking inventory of these products (they are shipped direct from the manufacturer)

Another option I thought of, which would be more cumbersome for the customer, would be to list the products they could choose and have a coupon code assigned to each one. They would decide which they wanted and manually input that code at checkout. I can see that being a nightmare though. It was the best I could come up with, but I like the options idea lux came up with.

I'll work on it more today and submit a ticket if needed. Let me know if you think of anything else. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Thanks!

Comment

Maybe use the Comments section, or a checkout question.
          But, I like the "options" idea.
          You could make the options be:

Product A with Free B
          Product A with Free C
          Product A with Free D

Then, the products wouldn't actually be products at all. Just a reference on the invoice of what to ship out.

Comment

Getting Close (I think)

Let me know what you guys think about this:

Options Example

It turns out I was able to offer more options than I had originally planned, but this seems to work. All of these options will be offered by themselves for purchase, so, I added a "FG" to the free gift ID so that it distinguishes the free gift from an actual item for sale. As I mentioned earlier, I am not tracking stock of these parts, so this works. I suppose if I was tracking stock, it could be more difficult.

This is my first attempt at options, so I am not very familiar with them. One thing I have noticed that I do not care for is the part number. It strings the main product part number together with the option part number. For instance, the Sport Basic G3 (ID: TOTRTR5321100) in the example with "Square Buckle Black Hardware Collar Strap (Black) (ID:TOFG1244611) gives the ID:

TOTRTR5321100TOFG1244611

I think I'll change the option id to "-FG1244611" to it outputs TOTRTR5321100-FG1244611. I can distinguish the numbers better that way. Do you guys with more experience with options have a better suggestion?

Thanks!

Comment

Mark's suggestion is exactly what I had in mind.
              Luxlife

Comment

Working...
              X