Single page checkout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single page checkout

I read here that most have the single page checkout enabled it, so I enabled it on my cart. It was an older topic and I got the impression it was fixed so that you can still see an email addy.

There are so many abandoned carts with no way to contact the customer. Do you have a lot of abandoned carts?

I have not found a way to have them register and still have the customer complete at least an email requirement.

So I disabled the single page checkout.

What do I need to do to at least get an email for those who leave?

My shipping is complicated because of what I ship, and I am sure it is because of sticker shock of the shipping price they are abandoning the carts. The shipping is generally way off. And I just refund the extra shipping when I ship to those who do buy.

Bonnie
    bonniesplants.com

Originally posted by bonniesplants View Post
    I read here that most have the single page checkout enabled it, so I enabled it on my cart. It was an older topic and I got the impression it was fixed so that you can still see an email addy.

There are so many abandoned carts with no way to contact the customer. Do you have a lot of abandoned carts?

I have not found a way to have them register and still have the customer complete at least an email requirement.

My shipping is complicated because of what I ship, and I am sure it is because of sticker shock of the shipping price they are abandoning the carts. The shipping is generally way off. And I just refund the extra shipping when I ship to those who do buy.

Bonnie
    bonniesplants.com
    Bonnie,

Unfortunately, the only way to get an email address is to have the customer get to the registration portion of checkout. One option you could do, is not allow the calculated shipping, Change your shipping fees so that they're more accurate, or require that the customer must register in order to view prices. This way here, they've got to enter their contact info, but you probably will get many fewers abandoned carts because customers are not keen with signing up just to browse.

Comment

You'll probably get fewer sales, too! I, for one, back right on out of retail sites that make me sign up or register to see prices.

We are using the 3 step checkout for the exact reason you mention. We have pretty good success converting some of those "incomplete orders" into sales. With the one page checkout, this is not possible.

I seem to recall seeing an article about 1 page checkouts vs. multi-page checkouts and their conversions, etc. That article (a year or more old I would imagine) seemed to indicate that the multiple step/page checkouts had higher conversions than that of single page. Can anyone link us to some recent studies on this?

~fr*k

Comment

frik-n-frak

I am in NC too, in Newton. I tried unsuccessfully to contact you prior to signing up here.

I am not sure I understand the 3 page checkout? Could some one explain?

On some items I offer flat rate as the item will fill the flat rate box.

I found that one can not offer flat rate and calculated rates. On my flat rate, even though I added the weight and the price, it double charged shipping.

So I had to go back and include the shipping in the price and put it as free shipping as I could not find another work around to use flat rate on some items. Obviously I can not get a 3' tall plant in a flat rate box so I can not use flat rate on everything.

When I had changed some settings, and had an email I was able to convert many abandoned carts to sales just by fixing the shipping.

I do have a handling fee and most customers do not mind at all because they know how hard it can get a live plant delivered in tip top shape so my packaging is a real art in itself.

But then I found it was charging the handling fee per item when it was supposed to be per box.

As mentioned here on other posts, I have had my web site for 9 years and only decided a few months to add a shopping cart as I was pretty sure there would be no way to handle the above mentioned problems.

I am still on the fence about keeping the cart...

Bonnie

Comment

Bonnie,

I had a few days ago suggested flat rate shipping. I didn't mean the flat rate box.
          You can setup a "custom" shipping method based on weight, or order cast total or a couple other types. Would that help? :)

Comment

Ftat rate shipping will not work as it would gouge the ones who order one plant for around $10.00. I just got a order over $200 and how could I possibly charge a flat rate for that? I never know if the person is going to order one or 12 plants (all different). I will be refunding $25.00 in shipping overcharges to them when I process the credit card. It is not uncommon for me to get orders of a few hundred dollars. One is for $500.00 and abandoned!

I have several of them that high that abandoned the cart and I am sure it is because of shipping.

Bonnie

Comment

For you particular product, I would probably setup custom shipping based on dollar value of order.

$0-$10 - shipping $4.95
              11-25 - shipping $6.95
              26-45 - shipping $8.95
              46-75 - shipping $10.95
              76-150 - shipping $15.95
              151-200 - shipping 17.95
              201-300 - shipping $19.95
              301 - +up - Free Shipping

That is the way I would handle it.
              International shipping, additional $25 handling fee.

Comment

I am in NC too, in Newton. I tried unsuccessfully to contact you prior to signing up here.

I am not sure I understand the 3 page checkout? Could some one explain?

On some items I offer flat rate as the item will fill the flat rate box.

I found that one can not offer flat rate and calculated rates. On my flat rate, even though I added the weight and the price, it double charged shipping.

So I had to go back and include the shipping in the price and put it as free shipping as I could not find another work around to use flat rate on some items. Obviously I can not get a 3' tall plant in a flat rate box so I can not use flat rate on everything.

When I had changed some settings, and had an email I was able to convert many abandoned carts to sales just by fixing the shipping.

I do have a handling fee and most customers do not mind at all because they know how hard it can get a live plant delivered in tip top shape so my packaging is a real art in itself.

But then I found it was charging the handling fee per item when it was supposed to be per box.

As mentioned here on other posts, I have had my web site for 9 years and only decided a few months to add a shopping cart as I was pretty sure there would be no way to handle the above mentioned problems.

I am still on the fence about keeping the cart...

Bonnie
                Bonnie,

Lets see if I can assist with this shipping scenario.

Please call me directly at 1-800-828-6650 x118
                -Robert Muise

Comment

any followup? :confused:

Comment

Not yet. I will call Robert today.

I do appreciate your help Mark but it won't work because one plant could weigh 1 pound or 2 pounds depending on the plant.

So if they bought one 2 pound plant, I would loose on shipping, especially if it was the furthest shipping zone from me.

Bonnie

Comment

Capture Email in One Page Checkout

I'm coming back to the original issue raised in this thread - Capturing the email address of someone who abandoned your cart.

I recently had a little go round with Andy on this. He was very nice in explaining that it just can't be done and that I should change to the multi-page checkout but I'm having trouble understanding why this has to be a problem.

The one page checkout works fine for us but we do have some abandoned carts like everyone else. How do I know that? Because 3dCart has this awesome feature where they let me know the cart was abandoned, give me all kinds of data about the transaction, AND they provide me with ALL the data entered into the fields on the checkout page by the customer prior to abandonment.

Oops. Not ALL the data.

I've tested this. On the one page checkout, contact details are saved to the system and made available to me only after the buyer clicks the "Same As Billing" checkbox for shipping address. If they leave/close the browser, prior to clicking that checkbox, NOTHING is saved. That's fine.

So, the question REALLY is: If a customer enters all their data on the one page checkout - name, address, phone, AND EMAIL, AND they click on the "Same As Billing" checkbox which captures ALL the rest of the data entered on the page, WHY OH WHY is the system not also capturing the email address???

I am not a programmer. Maybe there is some insanely complicated amount of coding that would be necessary to do this. But from here, it looks like someone just needs to include 1 MORE FIELD in the data capture process. Right?

Someone, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
                      X