Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just curious why the common folder is overwritten each week?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just curious why the common folder is overwritten each week?

My common folder of my shopping cart is overwritten on a weekly basis?
    Why is this?
    It keeps changing my site and I have to upload my folder from ftp to correct the issues! :(

Mark,
    The common folder will get overwritten with the latest release of templates. You want to copy the templates that you are using onto the template folder you are using, those folders are never overwritten.

ie. If you are using "layout1", you want to copy all your files to /web/assets/templates/layout1/

If you have a "home.html" in that folder, it will use that instead of the one in common folder.
    ----------------------------
    Gonzalo Gil
    3dCart Support
    800-828-6650 x111

Comment

The problem is, not all the templates are used from the layout folder.
      For example, the ship tracking page is not used from the layout folder, it is still called from the common folder. I brought this up before. There are links to images on the develpoement 3dcart servers that I don't want and some of the code I don't want included or is laid out incorrectly from what we want to display.

Comment

Mark,
        Ok, if that's the case, I would love to get this changed right away as it will most likely affect others as well.

Based on what you told me the SHIPPING TRACKING templates (UPS,FEDEX,USPS,DHL) do not read from the custom template folders. I will look into this and if that's the case get it resolved.

Other than that template, can you tell me which others you are not able to overwrite by including on your custom template? Feel free to email me directly if you don't want to make it public. [email protected]
        Gonzalo Gil
        3dCart Support
        800-828-6650 x111

Comment

I only know about the ups one. I brought it up in support, and they said this is called "directly" from the common folder and can't be edited in your layout folder. Even if you edit the file, it is not used from the cutom folder. In the common file, there are links to offsite sources that cause SSL errors when viewed in https, plus, some of the lines are not spaced out like we want and other layouts that don't match other pages we've modified. Thanks for the help! :)
          Last edited by Mark; 03-18-2009, 10:43 PM.

Comment

ok, will check on this and report back.
            Now on the "links to offsite sources that cause SSL errors when viewed in https" is this changes you are doing to your ups template, or you are talking about other templates that you are modifying, if so, if you can tell me the names, i can check on those too.
            Gonzalo Gil
            3dCart Support
            800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Here is one example in the ups file:

src=http://dev21.3dcartstores.com/admin/templates/images/ups_logo.gif

Obviously, this is an offsite link, which breaks our security.
              Last edited by Mark; 03-19-2009, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Hi Mark,
                We confirmed the problem and have resolved it. During the next update it will be resolved. Make sure you have the latest copy of the ups tracking page you are using on your template folder as when we push the updates the common folder is overwritten, but as long as you have it on your folder, the new code will read it from there.
                Gonzalo Gil
                3dCart Support
                800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Thank you very much!

Comment

This is very good information to have. I had worked very hard on some customizations in the common folder and was curious why they were being overwritten. Fortunately I keep local files and I only had to ftp them back up, but that would get quite redundant having to do it weekly! :)
                    Last edited by maksum; 08-24-2009, 04:39 AM.
                    www.KarensCookies.net
                    Cookie Decorating Simplified

Comment

If you update a common folder in the admin panel, I THINK, it will save it to your current layout folder. If you just upload to the common folder via ftp, that file wont be used in your layout folder like you want it to. HTH

Comment

Working...
                      X