The "Rules" for product import

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Rules" for product import

We're about to do our first product export/editing/product import as we prepare to open our new store.

I just want to make sure I'm clear on what we should do.

Can we edit just a few products and then upload just those changed products, or do we have to upload the entire product database, including unchanged products. For instance, if I edit 100 of 3000 products, and then upload a file with the 100 product rows (plus the header), do I end up with a store that only has 100 products, or are the missing 2900 products left unchanged?

Do I have to have the import file sorted in any way for the import to work?

Can I upload just the affected database variables? For example, if I change only the product description, can I upload a file that has the sku number and product description fields only (A two-column field)? Or do I have to upload a full file?

The best way to go around this is to do an export of your current products, then add/alter that file.

The only required field is the itemID (or catalogid), the rest are optional, so yes, if you wanted to just update price, you could upload a file with 2 columns, Itemid,Price,

When you upload the file you will be presented with a few options.
    Insert Only
    Insert/Update
    Delete then insert

Insert only will only insert records, so bascially only new items will be added.
    Insert update will insert new product and update those that are already in the database

I hope this helps, let me know if you have further questions,
    ----------------------------
    Gonzalo Gil
    3dCart Support
    800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Do our fields have to first be sorted by the ID field before we upload? I ask because our other store uses an import/export tool that really messes things up if records are not sorted.

Comment

No, it doesnt matter...
        Gonzalo Gil
        3dCart Support
        800-828-6650 x111

Comment

One quick note to keep in mind:
          On importing, if you change the Itemid in your spreadsheet, it will create a New Product. Apparently if you're making changes to any Item IDs you need to do this thru the admin first.

Comment

Actually if you are changing IDs then, use the catalogid field instead when importing, the catalogID is 3dcart's ID and that never changes.
            Gonzalo Gil
            3dCart Support
            800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Working...
            X