Creation of HTML Files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creation of HTML Files

I'll start creating a few posts to help newbies (such as myself) and also for clarification which should help others in the long run. This one pertains to the creation of html files.

New html files are created by going to:

settings - design - site content

I have at least 100 html pages I created while at Monstercommerce.

Questions:

1) Is it possible to upload them via FTP in one shot?
    2) If yes, to which folder

Thanks for any help.

Barbi

Barbi,
    Those pages are not like physical HTML files so they can't just be uploaded.
    However, we can import them for you if you can have MC export them for you.
    If you can provide an EXCEL with

Page title
    Page Content

I can import them right into your database.
    We don't have a import/export feature for extra pages, but I can import the data for you.
    ----------------------------
    Gonzalo Gil
    3dCart Support
    800-828-6650 x111

Comment

I have all the "html" pages on my hard drive. I don't follow what you said about "Excel." Why Excel? To list the URL for each page?

Let's say I have at MC titled "Wind Chimes Garden Decor Home" and the URL is
      http://[sitename]/wind-chimes-garden-decor-home.htm

What exactly would you need in Excel? When you say "page content" -- paste the html content in an Excel file?

Thanks for the feedback Gonzalo. I'm trying to understand this better.

Comment

Oh...i should have asked first :)

a) Did you make these pages in HTML and uploaded them to monster?
        or
        b) Did you make these pages, copied the content into Monster's page editor.

If you did a) you could do the same with 3dCart, just upload them into the /web/ folder.
        If you did b) then you would add them via site content page, ether 1 at a time, or you can build me an excel spreadsheet with 2 columns, 1 the page name, 2 the HTML content (basically cut all the html and paste into the box)

Can you give me an example page (url) of one of these pages at your current host so i can take a look?
        ----------------------------
        Gonzalo Gil
        3dCart Support
        800-828-6650 x111

Comment

I did "a."

Gonzalo, I uploaded one of my pages via FTP to the web folder, switched over to the browser and type the URL path. It's there on the site BUT totally distorted.

I'll call technical support tomorrow and try to figure this one out. Thanks for your help.

Comment

So, for those who are curious as to how this works, this is the answer. By the way, this will make the link show up in your left column or across the top.

To use a custom page you already created without putting it in the 3dcart framework:
            Copy your custom HTML pages to the root or other folder on your 3dcart site.

Example:
            root/folder1/folder2/htmlfile1.html

would be:
            Code:
            http://www.yourdomain.com/folder1/folder2/htmlfile1.html
            - Once you upload your file, go to Settings -> Design -> Site Content.

- Below "Extra Page" or "Menu Links", type a new for your custom page and click "Submit"

- The new page should show up now as available pages. Next to the one you created, click "Content"

- A new page will appear. On this page where it says "Link", type the path to the file you uploaded.
            Like: /folder1/folder2/htmlfile1.html

- Select whether you want the custom page to replace the one the user would be on when clicking the link (_self), or (_blank) which would open the custom page in a new window.

- Finally, click "Save Changes".

You should now be able to go to your homepage, click "Refresh", and see a link to your custom page.

If you don't want your custom page to show up in the main navigation, you can always upload it and reference it wherever you would like and skip the steps above (except of uploading your pages of course).

If you want to create a custom page using the 3dcart framework, do the following:

- Go to Settings -> Design -> Site Content.

- Below "Extra Page" or "Menu Links", type a new for your custom page and click "Submit"

- The new page should show up now as available pages. Next to the one you created, click "Content"

- A new page will appear.

- In the "Page Content" section, put any html that you want to show up in the middle of the page between your header, footer, left column, and right column.

- Enter any Meta or Title tags that you want that page to have.

- Finally, click "Save Changes".

- If you don't want your page to show up in regular navigation (top, or left nav), go back to Settings -> Design -> Site Content and select the "Hide" button next to the page you created, and click "Update". You can still link to the page, but it won't show up in normal navigation.

Hope that helps everyone.

Comment

Thanks for summarizing this thread! It's so helpful for us newbies :D .

Comment

Working...
              X