3dcart DNS - Pros & Cons?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3dcart DNS - Pros & Cons?

Are there any pros or cons of having the DNS entries of my Godaddy registered domain set to the 3dcart DNS servers versus leaving the DNS at Godaddy and pointing to my 3dcart's IP address?

We want the store to reside in a subdomain: shop.justpoppin.com and have the www and @ point to it so that currently, if someone types www or just the domain, it resolves to the subdomain and we'd still have the option of hosting www.justpoppin.com someplace else in the future and still have our store reside at 3dcart (with the subdomain continuing to point to the 3dcart IP address) and not lose any search rankings since visitors and spiders should only see the subdomain.

Current set up still has Godaddy DNS with the following entries:

ARecord @ is pointing to Godaddy's forwarding server because justpoppin.com is being forwarded (not masked) to shop.justpoppin.com

ARecord shop is pointing to our 3dcart IP address

CNAME www is pointing to @ (so it also gets routed to shop.justpoppin.com)

I'd appreciate comments/suggestions from anyone with knowledge on this topic since mine is VERY limited.

Thanks

I would let 3dcart host your DNS. what's wrong with 3dcart hosting your DNS? I don't think forwarding or masked domains help in any way and may even hurt.
    DNS gets cached anyway, so downtime is not an issue.
    The only issue I would have is, as far as i know, 3dcart has no online DNS management and you would have to open a support ticket for DNS management and simple changes that Godady and others let you do yourself. . They should NOT charge for this. If they do, that is not a good thing.

Comment

I don't see any downside to GoDaddy DNS. Assuming you are comfortable with DNS settings, GD will have a lot more flexibility than going through 3d.

DaveW

Comment

It doesn't make a difference as far as how it works, however, yes, if you use Godaddy you can make changes yourself without asking us to do the changes.

The only advantage to us having it is should there be a major problem and we need to change the IP of your store, it would be instant and there would be very little downtime. This is however not a common scenario, usually if a machine goes down, we can bring it back up using the same ip addresses.
        ----------------------------
        Gonzalo Gil
        3dCart Support
        800-828-6650 x111

Comment

We have the need to make changes to our domain host level DNS.
          Do we switch back to Godaddy DNS and how do we go about that?
          We have setup some subdomains and want to know how best to get them in DNS.
          Thanks

Comment

Yeah, Mark's question/statement right there echoes what I was thinking - that I like to be able to do things when I want to do them and that's why I'll be sticking with the DNS at the registrar.

It seems that things are working the way we'd hoped (frankly, when I set it up, I had no idea if it would - that's why I posted the question here).

I *THINK* Google Analytics is working the way it's supposed to - we're getting data - it's just that I'm not sure what I'm looking at yet so once I figure that out, I guess it will tell me whether it's set up right nor not.

Comment

Also,
              does registrar hosting affect any of the MX, SPF records and listings and the automated emails and such from the store? Isn't the DNS checked for more than just IP lookup?
              Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                Also,
                does registrar hosting affect any of the MX, SPF records and listings and the automated emails and such from the store? Isn't the DNS checked for more than just IP lookup?
                Thanks!
                That's out of my comfort zone. Anyone?

Comment

By the way... just wanted to relate an experience we had over the last couple of days that leads me to the conclusion that, as long as it's not causing any problems with SEO or anything else, I'd rather keep 100% control of DNS myself rather than place it with 3dCart.

Before I write any more, I want to say up front that my conclusion is not due to some fault of 3dcart - actually, Jimmy and the guys provided outstanding service while we were working out the problem. They did nothing wrong at all.

We owned an SSL from our registrar that we wanted to use in our store instead of purchasing a new one. In the process of getting the correct info associated with the certificate and installing it in the store, I exchanged no less than a dozen messages with 3dcart support requesting they do this and that based on instructions from the SSL issuer. Back and forth. Back and forth.

Granted, we pay plenty for this cart and part of what we're paying for is tech support. But even though they were super helpful, it was a complete pain in the neck to have to keep asking them to perform sometimes repetitive steps while getting the SSL set up properly.

So...if I had to go thru this every time I wanted to add a subdomain or redirect something, etc, I'd go nuts and I suspect, so would the guys in tech support.

That's just my $.02.

Comment

not sure how DNS would need a dozen changes to install an SSL cert, but, I do see the convenience of managing your own DNS. But, then again, anytime 3dcart makes changes, you will have to make corressponding changes yourself. The part that I'm not too sure on is the email and mx stuff. The MX records and Service Policy Framework files need to be setup correctly or many of your customers will not receive emails.

Comment

not sure how DNS would need a dozen changes to install an SSL cert, but,
                      It didn't. I was just commenting on how my experience in dealing with the SSL made me more comfortable with my choice to maintain DNS control.

But, then again, anytime 3dcart makes changes, you will have to make corressponding changes yourself.
                      What kind of changes? Does this happen often? Does 3dcart have a policy or procedure for notifying us when changes like what you're referring to are made?

The part that I'm not too sure on is the email and mx stuff. The MX records and Service Policy Framework files need to be setup correctly or many of your customers will not receive emails.
                      I'd appreciate learning more about what your referring to here since I have absolutely no idea. As far as I can tell, based on sample transactions I've run, our cart is generating, sending, and receiving emails just fine. I have not done anything regarding email at all - this has worked just fine out of the box since we went live.

Comment

We probably shouldn't discuss this in this forum, as it probably doesn't affect the majority of users.
                        But, some recipent email systems require a higher level of verification that the email is legit and coming from a legitimate source and not falsified. Some of the info checked is in DNS and some is in SPF files and reverse DNS lookups and such. This is above my comfort level as well. Some of these involve DNS settings and some of these involve settings on the email server itself. Over my head at this point.
                        But, Google the SPF for more info. I had to get support to make some changes for me since some of our emails were rejected. This was like 3 years ago.

http://www.openspf.org/FAQ

It's not a big deal, and every DNS admin should know how to set it up. I was just letting folks know that it CAN affect delivery of customer email.

Someone more versed in this would have to elaborate further. :)
                        Last edited by Mark; 05-29-2009, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X