Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark
    replied
    Okay we setup Google analytics. How do we see what are hotlinked images?

Leave a comment:

• Mark
    replied
    Does the work for 3dcart?
    We really need the ability to block hotlinking, however, still allow it for selected websites.
    Does the .htaccess file need to be in the assets/images directory to work?
    Anyone have this working in their cart?
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• dcox
    replied
    BestCostumes,

I tried adding that code to my access file and the images are still working. Take a look at this page:

http://forum.gamevn.com/showthread.php?t=579250

About half way down there is an image of shotgun shells under "shotguns" next to the "Ithaca M37" that is being linked to my site I think. The link to the image is:

http://images.google.com.vn/url?sour...YdINh_EUJ2NYEw

Another consern is my Google Base images, don't they link directly to my site? I do not want to block those, although they appear to be fine right now with the updated file.

Any ideas?

Leave a comment:

• BestCostumeSite
    replied
    Not a bad call....that's for sure.

I've been running websites on a platform called 'ecommerce templates' in PHP for about 4 years now....so I'm a little more comfortable making those changes. Ecommerce templates isn't a hosted platform - you basically buy the software and install it yourself. Since any changes you want to make you must do yourself - I've learned a lot over time. It's definitely a little different coming to a hosted environment like 3dCart, where you really don't touch anything :)

Leave a comment:

• rrw
    replied
    Thanks so much--I've screwed things up enough to know that this probably isn't something I alone will tackle--I can hear Jimmy in tech support give a big sigh of relief! :)

Leave a comment:

• BestCostumeSite
    replied
    Originally posted by rrw View Post
    Thanks so much for this--we had one site steal our photos, even with a huge watermark on them! I'm techno challenged, so could you tell me how to go about adding that to the .htaccess file? Or is that best left in the hands of those who know what they're doing? :)
    You would need a FTP software to do so. The .htaccess file is located in the /web directory. Download the file. I would suggest making a copy of it, just in case something doesn't work properly. You can make the changes of the .htaccess file in notepad. Once you've made the changes, upload the file back via the FTP software. If your website is broken afterwards, or anything funky happens, just re upload the original in it's place. Then have someone that knows what they are doing do it =)

An .htaccess file can make weirdo things happen if it's not written right. I recently had to play with our .htaccess file for our forums (funcenter.bestcostumesite.com). We also have the domain name bestcostumesite.net, which is where the forums are hosted. For SEO purposes, I wanted to make sure everything was on one domain. So basically, I needed to set it up so any time you type in bestcostumesite.net, it will automatically redirect you to funcenter.bestcostumesite.com. Took a little bit of searching on google, but finally got the answer. Works like a charm now!

Leave a comment:

• BestCostumeSite
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark View Post
    we ended up just changing the image they were hotlinking to an advertisement of our site. kind of funny. :)
    We got some pretty good exposure on eBay. They stole our picture of a machine and we just substituted a advert for our website. ;)
    I actually did that once too. We had a brand new item that came out on the market - we were initially the only ones selling them on ebay. Two competitors quickly follow, with one of them specifically using our images (we have 5 of them in the listing total). I had a 10 day featured listing that was just about to end, so I let the listing end. When I relisted it, I changed the names of the files, and put up advertisements where the old pictures were located. So, one of our competitors was indirectly advertising us =)

Leave a comment:

• Mark
    replied
    we ended up just changing the image they were hotlinking to an advertisement of our site. kind of funny. :)
    We got some pretty good exposure on eBay. They stole our picture of a machine and we just substituted a advert for our website. ;)

Leave a comment:

• rrw
    replied
    Thanks so much for this--we had one site steal our photos, even with a huge watermark on them! I'm techno challenged, so could you tell me how to go about adding that to the .htaccess file? Or is that best left in the hands of those who know what they're doing? :)

Leave a comment:

• BestCostumeSite
    replied
    Here is a link that may help:

http://www.knowledgebase-script.com/demo/article-376.html

It gives you the code to put in your .htaccess file to not allow other websites to 'steal' your images.

Leave a comment:

• dcox
    started a topic Hot Linking

Hot Linking

Hello everyone. I seem to have a lot of hotlinking these days. Most of it appears to be from gaming sites overseas. They are hotlinking images of ammo and guns for a shooter game. Is there a way to block these?

Renaming the file is extremely difficult becuase my supplier controls this, not me.
Working...
X