This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandwidth Usage Per Visitor

What is the average bandwidth usage per visitor on your site?

If you look at the 3dcart report for visitors (not pageviews) for the month and divide that into your bandwidth usage (unless you have a better way of determining it), what are you coming up with?

I know we get hit for stuff we do on the back end, etc but for the sake of discussion I figure this is a simple way to look at it.

Our bandwidth usage seems high for the number of visitors we have. We use google analytics and 3dcart stats are consistently 20% higher for number of visitors and page views than Analytics is showing. 3dcart's "solution" is to sell us a stats program for another $15/month.

We're not being hotlinked. It doesn't look like we're being scanned or spidered beyond the basics.

Very interested in your experiences and thoughts.
    Last edited by JustPoppin; 06-23-2009, 02:44 AM. Reason: New Info Available

UPDATE: 500k+ for a single page in 3dcart Admin area

Had a eureka moment tonight. Trying to nail down where all of our bandwidth is going and thinking about the fact that we have optimized our images to the n'th degree and have worked hard to reduce page size and load time...and it dawned on me...3dcart doesn't really have much incentive to optimize the pages in our admin backend. And they arent'.

(Those slow load times were starting to come to mind)

The attached screen cap is of about as basic and empty a page I could find in the admin area.

The size of the attached page is 572 KB (585,728 bytes). In comparison, our home page is 354KB. That means that every time you "save changes" or reload this attached "Reviews" page for one reason or another, you just ate half a Mb of bandwidth. Twice is more than a Mb and so on. It's pretty ridiculous.

And because things like approving reviews require several steps and page loads for EACH approval it's 2-3Mb PER REVIEW approval.

Auto approve your reviews? Ok, while processing a single order, there are about half a dozen page loads. That's 3Mb.

Check your inventory page? 600KB. Make a change and save it? Another 600KB.

Unless you are on an unlimited plan, you could easily eat up 1/2 or more of your monthly bandwidth simply through your daily admin activities.

I don't see much reason for the pages in the back end to be this large.

Thoughts? I'm happy to be corrected if I'm wrong - being wrong would probably make me feel better. If there's a good reason why my graphically rich home page can be 354KB but the attached page has to be over 500KB, PLEASE let me know.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hello,
      That would be true if you turned off caching on the server and the browser.
      We don't have it off on our side (server) and i am assuming you don't have it off on your browser, if you do, turn it on.

When you have cache on, images, JS, CSS, etc, download just once. The page itself may download again, but the page is not 500K.

There is alot of javascript functions on the admin which means there is a lot of .js files which can add up in size, but you only download those onto your machine just once, not at every page load.
      ----------------------------
      Gonzalo Gil
      3dCart Support
      800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Gonzalo,

Pardon my ignorance, but are you talking about the cache found under the store settings? There is a setting for enabling "Level 1" Cache...

Thanks!
        www.totaloutdoorsman.com - Your Total Choice for the Outdoors

Comment

Hi,
          No i was talking about the cache setting on the browser.
          Gonzalo Gil
          3dCart Support
          800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Yes, it you are heavly updating your store, you are racking up bandwidth. in my personal opinion, admin activities should not count towards your bandwidth usage. Uploading files to your hosting provider should not be included in your bandwidth usage in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by GonzaloGil View Post
              Hello,
              That would be true if you turned off caching on the server and the browser.
              We don't have it off on our side (server) and i am assuming you don't have it off on your browser, if you do, turn it on.

When you have cache on, images, JS, CSS, etc, download just once. The page itself may download again, but the page is not 500K.

There is alot of javascript functions on the admin which means there is a lot of .js files which can add up in size, but you only download those onto your machine just once, not at every page load.
              Thanks for the reply Gonzalo.

Your message contradicts what tech support told me during the back and forth regarding the slowness I've been experiencing in the admin area as well as their answers for why my bandwidth usage is so high (relatively speaking) - they initially indicated that the speed problems were communications/network related (none were found) but how much could that account for if most everything is already in cache as you describe?

Also, I was told that each page a visitor visits hits my band width, one of the techs even examined a page or 2 on my website and told me basically what I described about the back end "well, your pages are 300k so every 10 page views is 3 megs and it adds up...combine that with going into the admin area and changing stuff on your pages and working with your products and sales and all those page views get added to it."

It can't be both - either much of the page info is in cache after the first visit, in which case there's no way to account for the bandwidth usage on my site when compared to the number of visitors and page views, OR we get hit for bandwidth for the full amount of the page each time it's hit in which case, the back end pages should be MUCH better optimized.

Anyway, how could it make sense that my graphically rich home page (350k) is smaller than a nearly blank review approval page 500+K?

Sorry but please don't tell me that 3dcart doesn't have to optimize the size of its pages on the BACK END because 500k of bandwidth ISN'T being gobbled every time I hit a page because so much of it is in cache and in the same sentence tell me that if 100 people each visit 10 pages on my site with an average page size of 300k that that is the reason why 300Mb of bandwidth were used. Can't have it both ways.

Comment

Hi ,
                I never said that we won't optimize the back end pages, I am saying that there is a lot of javascript files on the back end that do make it large, however, you don't download 300K of Javascript on every page load.

So here is an example for you:
                On the front end, if you have a 300K page, and you have 1000 unique visitors that is 1000 page views, that is 1000 times 300K, on the back end, if you have a 300K page, and you have 1 visitor (you) even if you do 1000 page views, you are not downloading 300K.

If you would like to learn more about caching, there is a great article here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporary_Internet_Files
                Gonzalo Gil
                3dCart Support
                800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Since the theoretical discussion doesn't seem to be useful how about hard data.

How is it that at 3am today, June 26, our site has had 2 page views and we've already been hit for 2.5Mb? Our biggest page is 357K (not assuming any cache).

THe only other activity on the page was me logging in to look at the bandwidth meter and stat page. That's it.

Comment

Your best bet will be to FTP into the server, and download the traffic .log files, and go by that. Maybe you have images being pulled by a search engine, or something like that which is not counting page views but still taking bandwidth.

The .log file will show you 1 line for every graphic/page downloaded from your store.
                    Gonzalo Gil
                    3dCart Support
                    800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Gonzalo,

Where can I find these log files? I tried the log directory and it was blank (or I didn't have access to it).

I am pretty sure much of my bandwidth usage is uploading and downloading inventory files. At least that is what my stats says.

They still do not seem to add up though... My stats claim (under "Server Utilities > Page Bandwidth In) that I am using 2.5 GB to date on the "import_prod.asp" page. I know I use this a lot since I update inventory daily, but my product import file is only 2.8 mb. I update it daily, so that is only 90 mb per month + more advanced updates that I run about every 2 weeks, which accounts for another 60-70 mb. This is a far cry from 2.5 GB...

As far as I know, I have caching enabled in my browser (I have temp. internet files). How do i verify this?

Comment

That is a bit high for import_prod.asp, but are you 100% certain is 2.5GB and not 250MB?, that file also does the exports and so if you export and download the csv files it could add up, but i highly doubt its 2.5GB, please double check that, if it indeed is 2.5gb, please submit a support ticket so we can investigate it further.
                        Gonzalo Gil
                        3dCart Support
                        800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Gonzalo,

I completely screwed that one up... I thought the stats were displayed in kb, but they are not, they are bytes... On top of that, it gives the AVERAGE per hit, not the total for the month. It shows an average hit of 2.6mb, which is about right for that file. So, I butchered it all the way around.

The bad news is, this still does not explain why I am all of a sudden exceeding my bandwidth allotments. I have been doing a lot in the past few months to increase my SEO, and my orders are up, but I don't see them being up enough to cause me to use nearly 10 GB of bandwidth...

My statistics page shows I am using 2.8 gb this month so far, yet my admin panel say I have exceeded my 5GB limit by over 4 GB...

How can I track down what is causing this? Where is the log file you mentioned earlier?
                          Last edited by dcox; 06-29-2009, 03:38 PM.

Comment

The log files are on the root of the FTP, but, looking at them won't tell you more than the smarter stats which you are looking at. If you didnt have smarter stats then yeah the only way would be to look at the raw logs to see what is taking the bandwidth.

The actual usage of the store doesn't seem to be too bad, you are using about 3GB. But it looks like you do alot of exports/imports, and for example, your product export is 5mb ( i see the last one you downloaded there today), if you do alot of this (import 5mb file, export 5mb file) it could add up. I also noticed the export file was downloaded twice today, so that would be 10MB just on that action just today.
                            Gonzalo Gil
                            3dCart Support
                            800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Gonzalo,

Thanks for the info. I will open a ticket as I think it has gotten too specific for this thread (I didn't mean to highjack it). I will open a ticket so I can get support to look at it and see what seems to be running it up so high. You are right, I do do a lot of importing and exporting, but even at 20mb/day, thats only 600 mb/month...

Maybe we can track it down. Thanks for keeping up with this thread and responding so quick for all of us to learn from!

Comment

Working...
                              X