E-mal Spam Software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-mal Spam Software?

Any suggestions for email spam software? *sorry if this is in the wrong section*

I am very very happy with 3dcart and what i can do with my sites now is amazing, but I find I get a LOT of spam and it's driving me nuts.

Any suggestions?

You can log into the webmail and play with some of the spam settings. However, a server based solution can cause many false positives since it doesnt really know what types of emails you usually get. The one i use that works amazingly well is called Cloudmark. (www.cloudmark.com). It learns as you mark emails as "spam" and shares this information accross a huge network, i get pretty much 0 spam because of this and it rarely ever gives you a false positive.
    ----------------------------
    Gonzalo Gil
    3dCart Support
    800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Finding the program great so far Gonzalo. Tks!

Comment

That looks like an interesting solution. I do have a question though. How exactly does a program such as cloudmark work? I have a "block this email address" function in Outlook that I can see working for blocking the same email address at my local machine, but not at the email server. It seems cloudmark would be the same. Since they are installed locally, how can the program block email at the server level, or does it? If not, and it just blocks in locally, I could theoretically have a lot of spam emails build up on the email server that I never see if I rarely use my webmail. Just food for thought.

Gonzalo, if a server based application is better, will you guys allow us to have it installed on the email servers?
        www.totaloutdoorsman.com - Your Total Choice for the Outdoors

Comment

Cloudmark does not work on the server level. It analyzes the email as you download it, automatically getting rid of the spam. (Places it on a spam folder).

The way that it works is similar to how Napster worked back in the days, when you mark an email as spam, a "signature" of that spam is sent to the cloudmark servers. If enough of these signatures are reported, then that email is deemed spam. When you have thousands of users contributing, pretty much 99.9% of spam is caught. I use it and would not trade it for anything else. I've tried both client and server solutions and found this one to be the best.

If there is a server solution you believe would work better, let us know, if we find it useful we might buy a server license and install it/offer it to our clients. However, in my experience, most of them rely on black lists which are not always updated, or, they scan for common words, they work, but they also consider a lot of email spam that is not. When Cloudmark marks an email as spam is a lot better than just a "guess", its because other users received it and marked it as spam.

They have a 30 day trial. Give it a shot; you can always un-install it if you don’t like it. I believe they have something like a $29 or $39 /year offer when you download the trial and it expires...I think it’s worth every penny.
          ----------------------------
          Gonzalo Gil
          3dCart Support
          800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the info Gonzalo.

So what happens when the email is marked spam? Is it deleted from my email server so that it is no longer taking up space?
            www.totaloutdoorsman.com - Your Total Choice for the Outdoors

Comment

I don't use this software but based on what Gonzalo said, the software is client side which means it runs on your machine so any filtering/deleting/sorting takes place on your computer. Also, from what he says your email client will still download and delete ALL email from the server, then it will move anything that is designated as spam into a pre-designated spam folder on your local machine. This way if you are concerned about a false positive you can jump into that folder occasionally and take a look.

If this is how you set it up, just remember to set up some sort of job or archive process that empties that spam folder on your local machine, otherwise this will get very large over time.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Another client side spam tool is "SpamBully." We've been very happy with this tool. Check them out at http://www.spambully.com

~fr_k

Comment

Working...
                X