Help me understand the Maillist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me understand the Maillist

Sending out newsletters is a BIG part of our online store. So I'm just NOT grasping how this works with 3d cart. Will someone please help me understand what I'm doing wrong?

Basically I go to Customers -> View/Edit
    and select "Edit" for a specific customer. I can see that "Maillist" is checked.

I then go to Customers -> Export/Import -> Newsletter Emails -> Export Data
    then select the "Export Data" button for Newsletter emails and get this result:
    "There is not data to export"

Furthermore, if I try to simply compile and send a newsletter through the system, and select "Mailing List - All" as my group, I get this:
    Total Customers in this Group: 0.

Thanks for any help that can be offered.

If screengrabs would help you understand my plight, see this:
    http://www.msummers.com/mikesstuff/3...t_maillist.gif
    Attached Files
    www.KarensCookies.net
    Cookie Decorating Simplified

I would think the newsletter emails are not necessarily customers, but, those that have clicked on "signup for our newsletter"

We have a certain number on our "newsletter" list, and another list for customers on our "mailing" list. Maybe they are different lists?

Here's the guide: http://support.3dcart.com/index.php?...temid=66&nav=0

Comment

Thanks for the link to that document. I searched around for something like that and I couldn't find it for some reason.

Ok, yes, it appears that they are two different lists. Part of the problem is that 3DCart isn't being consistent in their terminology. For example, see the screen shot I posted and look at the export feature. Under export it reads "Newsletter Emails" and right next to it: "Export all mailing list subscribers".

However, it appears from my tests and from the document you sent that "Newsletter" subscribers and "Mailing List" subscribers are two different lists.

Furthermore, if I have a visitor (Let's call her Jane) that wants to receive the newsletter, and they sign up by using the little form on my site, then LATER create an account, becoming a customer and check the box next to "I would like to receive updates and promotions by email" then they are suddenly on the mail list as well.

Ok, so I don't have mail lists and newsletters, I just have ONE... just a newsletter that will go out to everyone that has expressed interest in receiving emails from me. So to cover my bases I have to send it to BOTH my newsletter subscribers (whom may or may not have an account) AND my mail list subscribers.

That's fine, I don't mind doing that, but guess who just got two emails from me and is now frustrated at me... Yup... Jane is ticked and now hates me :mad:

Am I following this correctly? I've done tests and it appears that this is indeed how it plays out. Please let me know if I am wrong.
      www.KarensCookies.net

Comment

Talked to phone support and they said that the "Mailing List - All" is ALL subscribers, and that if my system shows fewer there, then there is a mistake... however I THEN received word though my ticket which confirmed what I wrote above. They said:

It seems that there is some confusion about what the "mailing list - all" option should be sending to. However, we've gone over this function with our developers and it seems it's simply worded incorrectly. Below is a brief breakdown of which customers/subscribers those lists will send to:

Customers - All: All Customers.
        Customers - On Mailing List: All customers who have the "Add to maillist" check box selected.
        Customers - Not on the Mailing List: All customers who do not have the "Add to maillist" check box selected.
        Mailing List - All: All addresses you've added via the "Manage Subscribers" tool.

We're looking into changing the verbiage of these options to better convey what they are used for, but it does seem that your account is working as it should. Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thank you!
        Doesn't help my situation, unfortunately, but at least things are a bit more clear and I can at least understand how it works.
        www.KarensCookies.net

Comment

Originally posted by maksum View Post
          It seems that there is some confusion about what the "mailing list - all" option should be sending to. However, we've gone over this function with our developers and it seems it's simply worded incorrectly. Below is a brief breakdown of which customers/subscribers those lists will send to:

Customers - All: All Customers.
          Customers - On Mailing List: All customers who have the "Add to maillist" check box selected.
          Customers - Not on the Mailing List: All customers who do not have the "Add to maillist" check box selected.
          Mailing List - All: All addresses you've added via the "Manage Subscribers" tool.

We're looking into changing the verbiage of these options to better convey what they are used for, but it does seem that your account is working as it should. Please let us know if you have any additional questions. Thank you!
          So in this example who are the people that have created an actual account but have not yet purchased? Where do they fit in?

Who are the people that have purchased but did not create an account? Where do they fit in?

How do I identify each of these types of people?

Is there yet a way to reconcile the Customer List (whatever that is), and the Mailing List, and the Newsletter Subscriber list?

Comment

Hi JustPoppin... see my email for more details (probably way too many!)

See my responses above in red bold.

Originally posted by JustPoppin View Post
            So in this example who are the people that have created an actual account but have not yet purchased? Where do they fit in?
            It doesn't matter if they have purchased or not. If they registered they are a "customer".

Who are the people that have purchased but did not create an account? Where do they fit in?
            They don't fit in. They are not recorded anywhere in the system UNLESS they have opted for your Mail List through your little side box deal. Then you've got their email address is all, and you know they want to receive updates from you.

How do I identify each of these types of people?
            If you want to avoid the mounds of confusion surrounding "Mailing Lists" and the process of signing up, etc... then you do what I do. Just work with ONE LIST. Eliminate the ability for people to opt in for the "Mailing List" as a customer or registrant. Remove those completely so there's no confusion at all. Just let everyone who is interested sign up though your side box deal... then they will be in that "Mailing List - All" list (as they call it).

Is there yet a way to reconcile the Customer List (whatever that is), and the Mailing List, and the Newsletter Subscriber list?
            I would extract all of them, and add them all to the one list, then follow my suggestion above for all future subscribers... just my 2 cents.
            Good Luck!
            www.KarensCookies.net

Comment

That was a really helpful reply. And just the right amount of details!! Thank you. I like details by the way - makes it so much easier to figure out what's going on than just "do this" or "do that".

I think we're going to do the same thing you are doing. Move everyone over to the list associated with the sidebox and then just work it from there.

It's really a cr*ppy work around though. There should be only one list of contacts in the 3dcart system and each contact can be part of any number of categories such as: person who set up account and bough; person who set up account and didn't buy; person who bough but didn't set up account; person who didn't buy, didn't set up account, but still wants newsletter, etc.

Of course I'd suggest better names :p for the categories.

Contact management and communication are a HUGE part of an online business and not having an easy and efficient way of doing that WITHIN one's ecommerce platform is a real drawback to the system.

Comment

Working...
              X