No announcement yet.

New Website...Couple General Questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Website...Couple General Questions.

Hey everybody,

I just switched over to 3d Cart from another shopping cart provider. So far, I really like how my store is turning out.

I did have a few general configuration questions that I was hoping someone in here could help me out with.

1) Gift Wrapping- is this not available or am I just missing something here?

2) Gift Certificates- is there a standard page a visitor can go to to put in their own amount, or do all Gift Certificates need to be generated individually before someone can purchase one?

3) Site Map- My site map text is huge (and only in 1 column going vertically). Is there any way to alter the layout of this so it looks a bit more visually appealing to customers?

4) New Arrivals- Is there some way to alter the settings for these. IE- 7 days? Also, what is the link I should be placing in my custom design so that New Arrivals show up?

5) Product Details- I have a few different categories of products, and each different category has some unique product detail attributes.

Example:
    Cookbooks
    Author:
    ISBN:
    Pub Date:
    Pages:
    Photos:
    Publisher:
    Recipes
    Servings:
    Time:
    Difficulty:
    Source:

These "core" attributes will be shown on every single product (just depending on the type of product it is). Is there any way to replicate a template so that I am not typing in these attribute titles every time? EX- Cookbook Product Template, Recipe Product Template, etc.?

I know there are a lot of questions, but I just wanted to throw them out there all at once.

Feel free to one or all. Any input would be MORE than appreciated.

My website: http://www.letstalkchef.com

Thanks everyone.

We had the same issue. What we did was use the first 5 "Extra Fields" for the additional product info. Warranty, sales tax, food service certifications, etc. In system language, we input a bullet and then the product attribute name, colon, and then a space &nbsp. Then, in the product information we input the prodcut attributes. We use the export/import function to mass update like products. Extra fields 6-10 support html/scipts and such, so we used extra field 10 for videos. 6-9 are used for related product info, cut sheets, etc.
    You can see the result here: http://www.concession-supply.com/Gol...ine_p_689.html

also, once the product attributes were defined, the extra (or custom fields) can then be used for product sorting. For example, we listing many products in a category, we now offer the sorting based on shipping warehouse, warranty, manfacturer, etc....

and, here is an example of using the extrafields 6-9 for additional product info fields.....
    http://www.concession-supply.com/Gol...-250_p_98.html

HTH
    Last edited by concession-supply.com; 11-14-2009, 02:26 PM.
    www.concession-supply.com

Comment

What he said on the additional product details...

Gift Wrapping: just set up as a product option for each item you want to offer it with. Create a template first so you're not having to create it each time. If you're looking to offer gift wrapping to the order as a whole, you'll have to create a check-out question. If you want to create it as a an option for the order as a whole AND charge extra for it, I would create a "gift wrapping" product and create a link to it on view cart page or somewhere in the checkout process.

Not sure on the others as they are things we haven't looked into too much. Someone else please chime in.

Good luck with your new store!

Mike
      www.KarensCookies.net
      Cookie Decorating Simplified

Comment

Okay, that definitely makes sense. Thank you both for your input. I am going to create generic base templates and then clone them to build new items.

Huge help!

Anyone else have any other thoughts on the rest of my questions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

2) Gift Certificates- is there a standard page a visitor can go to to put in their own amount, or do all Gift Certificates need to be generated individually before someone can purchase one?
          All gift certificates need to be generated individually. One option to streamline the process is to create a gift certificate product, and then create options that are in standard gift card amounts. 25, 50, 75, 100, etc. Although you can put whatever amount you would like on a gift card that you would purchase in a store, the standard online is to order it in a preset amount.

3) Site Map- My site map text is huge (and only in 1 column going vertically). Is there any way to alter the layout of this so it looks a bit more visually appealing to customers?
          Visitors typically do not view sitemaps and they are mainly there for the benefit of search engines. You can always use a 3rd party sitemap application (many freebies out there) to streamline your map.

4) New Arrivals- Is there some way to alter the settings for these. IE- 7 days? Also, what is the link I should be placing in my custom design so that New Arrivals show up?
          Here I would offer a tip. Create a directory called New Arrivals, New stuff, or whatever you'd like. As you add items to the store, you can add them to this category as well. This gives you total control over what products appear in the new arrivals category. This tip is also great for creating a clearance, or on sale category.

Comment

Any other thoughts? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X