Fake email registrations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake email registrations

we have been getting a few fake customer registrations lately. Just curious what or who and why these happens. The emails are bogus, like [email protected]

Our site is not yet open for business yet and we have been getting about 2-3 customer registrations per day. The email addresses usually are well-formed, but the contact information in general looks fake. Almost always the company field is listed as "google" and the address appears invalid.

My guess is spammers/fraudsters trying to find sites to abuse.

On a sidenote, is it really a good idea to put customer passwords in cleartext via email on every registration message?

Comment

On cbstevens sidenote, I have modified all the email templates that had the [pass] field coded into them, and replaced it with the text "Please safeguard your password"

The one thing I haven't figured out yet is how to handle it when a customer loses his/her password and clicks on the Reset my Password button. By default, the system will then send him/her their password in cleartext (it doesn't really "reset" it at all). I could remove the [pass] field from that email template as well, but then how do I get them a new password without having to send it as clear text? The system needs some improvement in this area.

Take care,

Comment

We masked the password with ******* early on for all emails as well.

Comment

I posted a New Request to have the ability to see and block the ip address from these registration and email pages. Does anyone else want to see this as a feature?
          Luxlife

Comment

Working...
          X