Shipping - Customer Pickup / Delivery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping - Customer Pickup / Delivery

To be honest, I have not looked as closely at this as I probably should, but I am under a time crunch at this moment...

Is there a way to create a shipping method that is essentially $0.00, calling it something like "customer pickup", or "delivery", or both...or...?

We have the occasional ability, particularly with wholesale customers (larger quantities), to be able to drop off product on our way to a show, or something and yet we want them to be able to make their purchases, on-line, without our hands on, involvement. This is particularly good for those who like to do their shopping in the wee hours of the night, or morning without the distractions of the day...

An alternative method might be to be able to assign "fee shipping" to a specific customer, but I do not see that I can do that, either...unless I am missing something???

Thanks

John

You can create a "Customer Pickup" shipping option pretty easily, we used to have this. It is just another shipping method IIRC.

The problem we ran into was that maybe 1-2 customers per week would actually want to pick the stuff up, but 5-10 would select this and then we had to contact them, explain it, etc.

HTH,

DaveW

Comment

Originally posted by DaveW View Post
      You can create a "Customer Pickup" shipping option pretty easily, we used to have this. It is just another shipping method IIRC.

The problem we ran into was that maybe 1-2 customers per week would actually want to pick the stuff up, but 5-10 would select this and then we had to contact them, explain it, etc.

HTH,

DaveW
      Thank you for the response. We did think about the second aspect - the fact that we may have to contact them, etc, but... it was offset by the fact that they would have at least paid for the product. <G>

The first part is more of a question to me... When I pull up "add shipping method" (or whatever it says), I see a series of pre-set items... USPS, UPS, FedX, etc., with a couple of "custom" options, by weight, qty, etc... Nothing "open" that I could define in any way I want...?? I do recall, somewhere, there is a section where I can pick shippers (I think), but I do not remember and can't find it again, so I really do not know how to accomplish making a customer pickup option...

Thanks

John

Comment

yes, we wish there was more information on shipping methods/options. We ship heavy items mixed with lighter items and it really just doesn't seem to work properly. For example, a product that MUST ship truck freight, and other items that ship UPS. We are having trouble with shipping calcs when mixing. Sometimes a shipping method desn't appear even though the weight is within limits We wish there was an expanded and more detailed ship config document.
        Last edited by concession-supply.com; 03-13-2010, 08:43 AM.
        www.concession-supply.com

Comment

Originally posted by jbierrie View Post
          Thank you for the response. We did think about the second aspect - the fact that we may have to contact them, etc, but... it was offset by the fact that they would have at least paid for the product. <G>

The first part is more of a question to me... When I pull up "add shipping method" (or whatever it says), I see a series of pre-set items... USPS, UPS, FedX, etc., with a couple of "custom" options, by weight, qty, etc... Nothing "open" that I could define in any way I want...?? I do recall, somewhere, there is a section where I can pick shippers (I think), but I do not remember and can't find it again, so I really do not know how to accomplish making a customer pickup option...

Thanks

John
          User the "By Value" option to set this up. There's a help pdf in the support section. However, our problem is that this option is listed first, so we'll have plenty of customers that select it incorrectly and we will have to contact them for shipping charges. A giant pain. I can't seem to find a way to reorder the shipping options. You can reorder live carriers, but not the manual options.

Comment

We do this frequently. Here is what we do:

We just give all local people a coupon code, that takes off shipping. I have it printed on the backs of business cards that I hand out locally, I give it to people when they call, etc.. Seems to work really well, and I don't have people from out of the area (or even out of the country) using it - as it's simply a shipping option they choose.

Hope that helps.

Mike
            www.KarensCookies.net
            Cookie Decorating Simplified

Comment

You can restrict your shipping option by customer group as well. We have a group created for locals that enables the Local Pickup method. If the customer isn't in that group, they don't get that option. Makes it much easier, as long as you don't mind having to assign the locals to their own customer group.
              Laura Z
              Brass & Silver Traditions
              www.brassandsilvertraditions.com

Comment

How do you assign your customer's to the "Local Customer" group you created? Is there a way to automatically have them become part of that group based on zip codes?

Comment

I don't think you can have them assigned automatically, although I have never tried that. Once you have created the group, customers can register for it, or if you go into their customer account, and assign them to the group from there.
                  Laura Z
                  Brass & Silver Traditions
                  www.brassandsilvertraditions.com

Comment

Working...
                  X