Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Conversion Tracking...analytics required in cart?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Conversion Tracking...analytics required in cart?

Hi all,

Likely a dumb question, but hopefully not incredibly dumb!

We have Google Analytics for our website, but the code is not installed in our shopping cart (we have "Order Now" buttons on our main site which direct to our 3d Cart for ordering). We are now interested in getting the Conversion tracking set up.

My question is, do I need to put our analytics code in the cart in order to get the conversion tracking working properly? The .pdf by 3D Cart regarding "Google Analytics and Conversion Tracking" only says to place the code (<script src="googleanalytics.asp?orderid=[orderid]" type="text/javascript"></script>) in Step 4. But I'm not sure how this code, without any reference to our specific Analytics account ID, would then link to our analytics account...hopefully that all made sense :)

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help!
    -James

Hi James,
    You are right, without doing the first step on the Guide, doing just the second part (tracking) will not work as it uses the tracking code on the page to identify your account. You would need to install the tracking script just like it says on the guide first, before this will work.

Now, the fact that you have essentially 2 domains, one were the customer is at before they go into the cart, and then the cart itself might cause issues, because the "referer" (the page that the customer came from when they came to the cart) is now your web site, not a search engine or another website, so it will be hard to track exactly the source of that sale. You'll see some visitors coming to your website. There might be something you can do with Google Analytics to treat both domains as the same account, but I am not sure about this, we have not done this before...
    ----------------------------
    Gonzalo Gil
    3dCart Support
    800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Thanks Gonzalo Gil! I figured out how to get a second profile added to our Analytics account to put a unique tracking code in to our shopping cart (distinct from the code used in our main website), but I see what you're saying about tracking the conversions. I'll give it a shot and see how it works out (if at all). I may have to tweak some stuff around, or it may turn out to be impossible to get accurate information with our current set up, but I'll at least try it out.

Thanks again for you quick response and all of your help!
      -James

Comment

Working...
      X