Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 301 redirects

Hi guys,

I have been in contact with 3dcart to ask them if they can place 301 redirects on pages of my main website domain, to direct to pages of my subdomain. I have been told that this cannot be done with 3dcarts software. I thought this was just a basic option in any admin panel.

Have any of you guys had any problems with this?

Thanks

The 301 redirect features we offer are to enable you to keep old existing URLS from previous websites/carts working on 3dcart, not to enable you to redirect to outside links, this is why the feature does not work the way you expect.
    ----------------------------
    Gonzalo Gil
    3dCart Support
    800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Hi Gonzalo,

I have spoken to someone on Hostgator who has advised me that 301 redirects are a simple task. Also here is a link to Google's tutorials on 301 redirects http://www.google.com/support/webmas...n&answer=93633 it says I can do the redirects by accessing the .htaccess file. Is this correct?

Comment

301 redirects are not hard in anyway, in fact 3dcart does this for you if you specify a URL that you want to redirect to, but, only works WITHIN 3dcart, you can not do a redirect to an address OUTSIDE 3dcart which is what you are trying to do.

Although .htacess wont work in this case since the server is not running apache, you can do 301 redirects a variety of ways and you are free to do so, but the 301 redirect features of the cart are for doing things like:

www.mywebstore.com/CUSTOM_LINK.html
        POINTS TO
        www.mywebstore.com/product_p_10.html
        Gonzalo Gil
        3dCart Support
        800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Thanks for your fast response.

You say there are a variety of ways to do this, could you explain a few of them? Just because I have even had a coder look into this for me and he can't work it out either. I have 130 pages to redirect from babyonthego.co.uk to blog.babyonthego.co.uk. If you could give us an example of how to do this I will forward it to my coder.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by fw1980 View Post
            Thanks for your fast response.

You say there are a variety of ways to do this, could you explain a few of them? Just because I have even had a coder look into this for me and he can't work it out either. I have 130 pages to redirect from babyonthego.co.uk to blog.babyonthego.co.uk. If you could give us an example of how to do this I will forward it to my coder.

Thanks
            You're not going to be able to do this with the build-in redirects in 3dcart. It's not that's it's hard to do, they just don't offer that to customers.

Comment

Take a look at:

http://www.somacon.com/p145.php

The top section shows you an example of doing it with .ASP which could be used . An alternate way would be with meta redirects, which won't give a 301 header, but, most large search engines realize what you are trying to do if you have the redirect on the very top of the page.
              Gonzalo Gil
              3dCart Support
              800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Working...
              X