default state (or province)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• default state (or province)

Is there a way to remove the default state from billing and shipping info forms? I am in Canada so in my case it is Province.

The default pre-populated value in that field is Alberta. And I have had instances of customers inadvertently not changing that and their address ends up incorrect. It is a required field so what if we could have it not populated at all, and if it's not filled out the user will get an message reminding them to fill it out.

In my opinion, if a field is important enough to be required, it should not be pre-populated. Or perhaps just have a filler value like (state) or (province), which will not be accepted by the system -- the user will have to change it.

Anyone have any suggestions on this? Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

I would also like this. I would prefer to choose my own default, such as British Columbia, as that is the majority of my customers. Alternatively, just have [province] listed and then they choose. Too many times I have to go back and contact them to confirm they are not in Alberta.

Julie

Comment

I have also had customers "scream" at me by email saying "what's wrong with your system. I'm not in Alberta. Fix this immediately."

Comment

We raised this issue quite a while ago. I believe it occurred with the release of version 3. It can lead to shipping charge miscalculations. We ship to APO addresses and a customer received the wrong shipping charge because they accidentally used AA (Armed Forces Americas), which was preselected, instead of Alabama.
        Last edited by Luxlife; 06-26-2010, 07:30 PM. Reason: Fix wording
        Luxlife

Comment

Yes this would be a good fix before the Xmas rush started(yes xmas) just to save any confusion and bog down the system as a busy time
          http://www.canadianghosthuntersupplies.ca

Comment

I second, or third, or fourth this! In the US it defaults to Alabama and I have had several customers call to notify us the state came up as Alabama instead of their state (presumably because they did not change it). There should be no default in this box!

Comment

We vote for this too!

I often have to change the state in the Customer's order or their account because they left it on Alabama!

It should say "Select State" for the default.

Jennie

Comment

Through a previous post, we were made aware of an issue with single page checkout stores where - if the country was changed from United States to another country - the abbreviation AL (Alabama) would show up for each individual country. (In actuality it wasn't specifically defaulting to AL but rather defaulting to the first alphabetical listing for US)

This was corrected in the 3.2 templates and does not occur anymore. Provided you're using the single page checkout template tailored for 3.2. If ALABAMA or AL is being listed for country regardless of the country, (and you are using single-page checkout) please favor the template from the common folder to correct this.

Please note, since most of our customers moved over to single page checkout, we did not notice the same issue was occurring to multiple page checkout. Therefore, we're currently in the process of fixing this for multi-page checkout as well.

As for the suggestions about having the forms not default a state at all, these are being considered, and we're looking into the possibility of making it possible. Thank you all for the great suggestion!

Comment

As for the suggestions about having the forms not default a state at all, these are being considered, and we're looking into the possibility of making it possible.
                  With all due respect, Henry, if you don't eliminated the fact that the state field defaults to the first state in the list, then you haven't fixed the problem at all. This is the issue that was being discussed in this thread. If people neglect the change the state (or province in Canada) to their state, then the order comes through with the state as Alabama or, in Canada, Alberta.

Comment

Can't this be modifed by changing the "selected" item to none? Such is the case with the "sort by" dropdown. Just curious?
                    www.concession-supply.com

Comment

Based on your feedback and the issue with orders defaulting to Alabama (or "AL" in some cases), we made a few changes to the scripting on both the single and multi-page checkout pages:

We tailored each so that - upon checkout - the pages do NOT default to the first alphabetical state on each list. Instead, a customer needs to manually select a state from the drop-down menu. Furthermore, the state is a required field; so if a customer absent-mindedly doesn't select a state, they will be notified by the system error message that a required field was missing.

This will hopefully reduce the amount of orders being created incorrectly for addresses where the default State/Province was overlooked by the customer and they accidentally left it for Alberta, Alabama, or AA/AE, et al.

The one concession we have with this set up however is for countries where you might not have individual state listings specified. For these situations, a drop down menu of state listings will not be present, but the customer can simply type in their respective state in order to proceed. So let’s say the customer selects Innsbruck, Austria as their city and country – if you do not have the 9 or so Austrian states specified, the customer can simply write in the correct state to proceed. (It’s Tyrol, for those who might be wondering – Thank you, Wikipedia. :) )

If it's a case where the country itself just doesn't have states or provinces, any text input will be accepted. As long as the “State” field has something in it, the checkout should proceed as normal.

As stated, it's a bit of a compromise we had to deal with due to the scripting required, but it will reduce the amount of orders coming in that are inadvertently set for the wrong state/location.

Thank you all for the feedback.

Comment

Thanks so much for fixing this!

Comment

What did 3dcart do to "fix" this issue?
                          We would like to roll back the changes you made globally, because we do not ship outside the US and whatever changes you made have made our checkout different than what we liked!! :(

We NEVER had an issue with a customer putting in the wrong state, as the zipcode would already indicate a state error. Also, no payment methods show up on the checkout page and this confuses customers as to how they may pay for their purchase!!
                          Please let us know the specific lines of code.

Thanks! :)
                          Last edited by concession-supply.com; 08-15-2010, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by concession-supply.com View Post
                            What did 3dcart do to "fix" this issue?
                            We would like to roll back the changes you made globally, because we do not ship outside the US and whatever changes you made have made our checkout different than what we liked!! :(

We NEVER had an issue with a customer putting in the wrong state, as the zipcode would already indicate a state error. Also, no payment methods show up on the checkout page and this confuses customers as to how they may pay for their purchase!!
                            We often had people leaving the state set to the default AL, and yes, while the zip code indicates that the state is incorrect, we then had to waste time going in and manually changing the state for the billing/shipping on their order, on their customer account, AND in our shipping label software. Huge pain in the butt! If you are saying that the checkout itself threw up an error alerting the customer to the fact that the state and zip did not match, then that never happened for us.

As for no payment methods showing up now when customers go to Checkout Page....well, wouldn't the shipping have been incorrect before because the state would have defaulted to AL? I would think that would cause more confusion than not having any shipping prices there!

It sounds like you are using the singe page checkout? The area of the checkout where the shipping prices appear has a message for the customer to enter their billing address and press "calculate" for the shipping prices to appear. Perhaps you can edit the template for that to be more prominent if you are worried about your customers being confused. :)

Jennie

Comment

Yes, it's true there is a small message, but, we would still like the ability to choose our layout, or have the ability to revert the code if we desire. No notice was given that there was a change going in and we would like the ability to make the change or not, after we have seen the different results. It's fine the way it is, I suppose, just would like to have the option.
                              "If you are saying that the checkout itself threw up an error alerting the customer to the fact that the state and zip did not match, then that never happened for us." Yes, when the shipping calculator would run on the shipment address, an error would occur. So, we've never had to change an order.

Also, if you offer offiline payment methods (mail order) the credit card options does not display at all! This on first glance of the checkout page appears that you ONLY offer Mail Order checkout!
                              Last edited by concession-supply.com; 08-15-2010, 09:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X