Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GonzaloGil
    replied
    The way it worked before was that it checked the IP, and it would not allow 2 reviews by the same ip.

It always checked that the same user couldn't leave 2 reviews as well, it just doesn't make sense, its like letting people vote twice on a poll with the same question.

The reason we added the option to not care about the IP is because we had users that wanted to copy the reviews they had on their old websites (prior to 3dcart) but could not because their ip would be the same and even tho they would specify different customers, their ip was the same so it would not allow the posting of the review.

Would you suggest perhaps eliminating the star rating, and allow multiple reviews by the same people? If you do not, then a single person could take a 5 star product into a 1 by placing negative reviews over and over. (same could be done the other way and increase the rating all by the same user).

Leave a comment:

• JustPoppin
    replied
    Originally posted by 3dCartHenry View Post
    However, regardless of this, the restriction is still in place to keep reviews being left - on the same product - from the same user/customer.
    There really is NO sense in having a Product Review feature if it limits people to only ever leaving one Review, so of course you would have the IP limitation disabled. However, customers could leave more than one review before the upgrade, as long as it was for a different product OR as long as they used a different email address. This is not an upgrade, this is how it's always been. I know because this is how WE add feedback to a product when customers email us and say they tried to leave feedback but couldn't.

It doesn't make business sense to limit the number of reviews a customer can leave for a product. We have raised this issue before in this thread. As we stated in the thread I just mentioned, we are PROUD to have repeat customers and we want to keep hearing from them. Also, it is GOOD for business to allow repeat customers to leave multiple feedbacks as it instills confidence in new customers to see that people have come back time and time again and are still pleased with the product.

eBay allows the buyer to leave a Review for a product they have purchased previously. This wasn't always the case, but due to demand from sellers, they changed this policy last year some time. Also, Amazon allows multiple reviews for the SAME product. Many third party Review programs (like Power Reviews) allow customers to leave multiple feedback for the SAME product. This is not a "special feature", this is standard practice!!

I think it's great that 3dCart is improving the Reviews process and now we have the option to automatically send out emails at a set time period to ask for reviews and followup. This will be a huge time saver. However, with this issue of not allowing customers to leave more than one feedback/review for a product, I will be requesting my customers to leave Reviews, only to have them encounter an error message and thus have wasted their time. That is not good for customer relations.

We have been requesting this to be be made standard for as long as we've been with 3dCart and we were under the impression that this 3.2 upgrade would make it happen. We're pretty disappointed to learn this is not the case...

Leave a comment:

• 3dCartHenry
    replied
    The setting in 3.2 is designed to allow multiple reviews from the same connecting IP address. This function works as described and multiple reviews are possible from the same connection.

However, regardless of this, the restriction is still in place to keep reviews being left - on the same product - from the same user/customer.

Therefore, when testing this setting and leaving a second or third review for the same product, please be sure to use a different email for the "user" or otherwise log in as a different customer if your settings require login for the reviews.

Leave a comment:

• JustPoppin
    replied
    Yeah, that's exactly what's happening. I tried to leave 2 reviews for the same product and it's coming up with the error message saying I can't.

Leave a comment:

• GonzaloGil
    replied
    Nothing to do on the front end, this is more of a "back end" thing were if you enable that, it won't care about the number of reviews that came from the same ip. What are you seeing on your end? Is it giving you an error that you have more than 1 review from the same ip?

Leave a comment:

• JustPoppin
    started a topic Enable multiple reviews from the same IP

Enable multiple reviews from the same IP

Does anyone know what code snippet needs to be added to a 3.0 template to get this working? I checked the box in Admin to allow it, but it's not working so I obviously have to upgrade one of my pages.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Jennie
Working...
X