Blog RSS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blog RSS?

Is there an rss feed for the new blog feature? If so, how do I find the address?

Yes, actually. You should be able to access your blog's RSS feed simply by going to http://[yourdomain.com]/rss.asp?type=blog

With the new frames and templates, the RSS feeds should automatically be detected by your browser and displayed in its RSS reader (if installed) The blog feed is one of the default feeds included, so you should be able to see it just from your reader.

If not, we've got the following KB article that shows you how to add the RSS coding to your frame page to allow this function. We also just added some of the other direct feed links that can be used with RSS from the store.

https://support.3dcart.com/index.php...barticleid=426

Comment

Do what Henry says and get the KB article. We are using modified frame files stored in our own template folder (not common) and had to add the code that he refers to to all our frame files. Then it works great.

Last night I got my 3dcart blog linked to our Facebook page so that blog postings will now be automatically posted on our store's FB page wall as well. Cool! :)

Comment

Thanks for the link to the KB article, it answered my question, but now I have another one. I used Feedburner to try and burn the feed so I could place this blog onto other html pages (including the front page of my slgcomic.com site).

But the problem seems to be that the only entry that the feed reader see is an old post which I deleted because it was a test.

Thoughts?

Comment

Hi danslave

It looks like you were just running into a caching issue with the RSS feed where it was showing your previous test article rather than the Press Release you created on the 9th.

I went to the blog's RSS feed (http://[domain]/rss.asp?type=blog) and I added the following string to clear the cache.

&cache=0

(as in - http://[domain]/rss.asp?type=blog&cache=0)

This is a good tidbit of information to have if you ever run across an issue where your RSS feeds might not be displaying updated information.

Just add the "&cache=0" to the URL once and it should clear the feed's cache.

Comment

Thanks very much for the quick and helpful response. That seemed to do it.

I have one more question, I have a custom made template which was put together by 3dCart, is it rss enabled because my other issue was trying to create feeds for a couple of categories.

Comment

Hi again, danslave.

If the site was designed prior to version 3.2, then chances are it isn't RSS enabled by default.

However, the automatic RSS feed we implemented on version 3.2 is really easy to implement on the pre 3.2 templates. The original article we pointed out in this thread a while back describes it in more details but basically you just add the following bit of code to your frame.html template's code - just before the closing head tag.

Code:
              <!--START: FRAME_RSSFEEDS -->
              <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="Featured Items (RSS 2.0)" href="[store_url]/rss.asp?type=home" />
              <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="Products On Sale (RSS 2.0)" href="[store_url]/rss.asp?type=onsale" />
              <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="New Releases (RSS 2.0)" href="[store_url]/rss.asp?type=newreleases" />
              <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="Best Sellers (RSS 2.0)" href="[store_url]/rss.asp?type=bestsellers" />
              <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="Latest Blog Posts (RSS 2.0)" href="[store_url]/rss.asp?type=blog" />
              <!--START: RSSFEEDS_CATEGORIES-->
              <link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="[category_name] (RSS 2.0)" href="[store_url]/rss.asp?type=category&catid=[catid]" />
              <!--END: RSSFEEDS_CATEGORIES-->
              <!--END: FRAME_RSSFEEDS -->
              The nice thing about this edit is that - by placing it in the frame template - it applies to all your store pages contained in the frame; including the categories and product listings.

Then, to view a category's feed you'd go to [domain]/rss.asp?type=category&catid=[catid]

Comment

I'm new to RSS. How do I access the RSS feed for the product pages? How about the Extra Pages? (Or other pages in the Site Content area?)

Thanks...
                www.stsi.com
                Network Infrastructure and Fiber Optics (AMP/Tyco, APC, Belden, Corning, Hubbell, Leviton, Ortronics, Panduit), Audio, Computer, and Video Cables, and much more!

Comment

Rss

Hi,

This is a great article.

I was able to test my RSS feed from my blog.

Would it not be easier to have a button on the blog where users could click to automatically subscribe?

Does anyone know how to do this?

Regards, Sue
                  Fabric Garden
                  Sue
                  Fabric Garden
                  fabricgarden.com.au

Comment

Working...
                  X