Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get the blog to show up?

Edit****

Ive figured it out but categories are not showing up as well as recent comments anyone know why?
    Last edited by hanzoswords; 07-27-2010, 08:08 PM.

we couldn't figure it out either, so, it's an unused feature.

Comment

Ive figured it out but categories are not showing up as well as recent comments anyone know why?
      We took a look at your settings and it seems to be a combination of factors.

We noticed that the second category you have for your blog - "Specials and Discount Codes" - didn't have an article in it. So we created a test one for it specifically, and after clearing the store's cache it displayed on the blog's banner.

We'll update our KB article to reflect this as well.

Thank you for notifying us of this!

Comment

I have spent a lot of time getting 3dcart's blog set up and working properly. It seems to be more like a beta release than anything else. Support was able to help me resolve a couple of issues (I think we are all beta testers for this blog feature).

I would be interested in seeing anyone else's 3dcart blog. Here is a link to mine. There is no link to it yet on our site because it is still in testing mode, so you have to use this url:
        http://www.cherryvillenutrition.com/blog.asp

It's getting there but there are still a couple of issues. Notice on the line that starts with "Posted by..." it lists the category. Well, often we make a post that goes into several categories. And this will only display one of them. So I might remove this code altogether.

Initially the date and time stamp only showed the date, but support resolved this for me and recent posts/comments do show both date and time.

I sure like to see someone else's blog.

Comment

Initially the date and time stamp only showed the date, but support resolved this for me and recent posts/comments do show both date and time.
          Glad to hear you're starting to get some functionality out of the blog. We will be using it on our site in the near future but are just playing around with it for now. Thanks for being the guinea pig! ;)

So I see that 3dcart fixed the date/time stamp issue for you. What I'd like to know is, did they fix it JUST for you, or did they fix it across the board? Will that issue be fixed for us now, or will we have to submit a ticket too?

Comment

JustPoppin, I'm not sure of the answer to that but my guess is that it has been resolved for everybody. Like you say, I'm one of the guinea pigs. This issue was a field on the blog.html page called [datentime] which initially did not populate correctly.

We had been planning to implement a blog for our store in any event. So the choice for me was to go to a WordPress blog or wait for 3dcart's blog feature. I waited, but I'm still not sure which way to go. You can get so much more functionality from a WordPress blog, but it might be true that from an SEO perspective it would be better to have you blog hosted on your store's website (I would welcome any feedback on this last assumption).

Comment

Originally posted by cashmore View Post
              JustPoppin, I'm not sure of the answer to that but my guess is that it has been resolved for everybody. Like you say, I'm one of the guinea pigs. This issue was a field on the blog.html page called [datentime] which initially did not populate correctly.

We had been planning to implement a blog for our store in any event. So the choice for me was to go to a WordPress blog or wait for 3dcart's blog feature. I waited, but I'm still not sure which way to go. You can get so much more functionality from a WordPress blog, but it might be true that from an SEO perspective it would be better to have you blog hosted on your store's website (I would welcome any feedback on this last assumption).
              Well I guess we'll just try it out and see what happens! Thanks for your help.

We've actually had a conversation about blogs and SEO on another thread. We're keeping out WordPress blog and are going to use it more for stories/articles etc and we're hoping to use the 3dcart blog as more of a Library of information on our products etc. Kind of like an expanded FAQ.

Jennie

Comment

Thanks, Jennie

Sorry for duplicating questions on these posts. I do remember your feedback from the earlier post.

I like your ideas about how you use your two blogs. I might look into that.

Comment

Originally posted by cashmore View Post
                  I would be interested in seeing anyone else's 3dcart blog. Here is a link to mine. There is no link to it yet on our site because it is still in testing mode, so you have to use this url:
                  http://www.cherryvillenutrition.com/blog.asp

I sure like to see someone else's blog.
                  I just went to your blog and left a test comment. As a visitor to the blog, I found it very annoying that after I clicked submit, I was taken to a page that said something like "your comment has been submitted" (that part is OK, here's the annoying part) but when I clicked the "continue" button it took me back to the blog post and the comment area STILL had all of the information I'd already typed in and submitted - name, email, and full comment.

If I didn't know my way around, I might think that my comment actually was NOT submitted and then resubmit it - I have a feeling this will lead to lots of dupe comments. Also, it's just poor form to have this happen. It just shouldn't work like that.

BTW, from a testing standpoint, I'm using the latest version of Firefox with no add-ons running (for this test).

If you want to see what you can get from Wordpress with VERY LITTLE sweat, our blog's at http://blog.justpoppin.com The Suffusion theme is outstanding and makes it all very easy. From an SEO standpoint, my only recommendation would be to use a folder instead of a subdomain for your blog directory. I don't think it really impacts us too negatively to have it the way it is, but it makes tracking a bit harder.

Comment

Incidentally, just turned our blog function on to give it a try and found that you can't have just one article and have ANY of the functions in the right hand blog menu actually function, which makes no sense.

I set up several categories and posted 1 article to a couple of them. Still nothing appeared under Categories, Recent Posts, or Archives. Which really makes no sense at all. It wasn't until I had a second article in the system that the list of categories appeared (again...makes NO sense when the first article WAS in more than 1 category) and yes, I cleared cache after each step in my testing process.

This is just testing but it's annoying to have to do extra stuff (like post more than 1 article to get started) just to get basic functionality to work properly.

The nice part of this all is that it IS nice to have it right in the store with all the exact same formatting, etc.

Comment

Anyone tried to do a WYSIWYG blog post yet?

OK, and now I turned on WYSIWYG to try to post a rich content test post and it won't let me save the blog post.

Clicking "Save Changes" brings up an error: "Message cannot be blank" which makes absolutely NO sense since every field on the page is filled in.

Submitting a ticket now.

-Buck

Comment

Jennie, I just posted a comment to your store's blog. I see what you mean about the page you are returned to after posting the comment. Makes no sense and causes confusion. I think another support ticket is in order.

Comment

Does the blog use the same css ?
                          The fonts don't seem to match in the navigation.

Comment

Originally posted by JustPoppin View Post
                            OK, and now I turned on WYSIWYG to try to post a rich content test post and it won't let me save the blog post.

Clicking "Save Changes" brings up an error: "Message cannot be blank" which makes absolutely NO sense since every field on the page is filled in.

Submitting a ticket now.

-Buck
                            Got a reply to my ticket - I tried it and it worked fine:

We are aware of this issue, and are working on a solution. There is a work around for it though however. After creating the information you want to use with the WYISWYG editor, if you click the link to turn it off it will kick you out of the article and back to the list, however when it does this it is also saving the data, so when you go back into the post you will see the code that is there.

Comment

Being new here I'm trying to figure out all the in's and out's of the features.

Something I have found was that you have to make sure when you make a blog post that up in the first box the check in "draft mode" is removed. When I got the message about the message can't be blank, I turned WYSIWYG off, took the check out of the draft box and it posts fine.

I'm sure there's other quirks I'll run into, but so far on the blog feature I've worked around two issues...the blog doesn't show up, and it won't if the draft mode is checked I found out and the goofy message about no message (when really there is LOL) by unclicking the WYSIWYG button, it returns you to the list of articles, where I clicked edit, save changes and whalah, there it was. :D

Comment

Working...
                              X