Orders but not customers???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orders but not customers???

This is frustrating for us. When someone places an order but does not sign up for an account they are not listed as customers in the customer database.

So the problem is: when they call we cannot search for their information and place another order without having to ask them to repeat all the information they gave with their first order. Also if there is a return it is difficult to find their order without being able to search for them as a customer.

If they don't know their order number we can't spend hours opening every order and looking to find theirs.

All customers that place an order should be listed in the "customer" database. After all it forces them to create a password, why does the cart need a password if it isn't of any value?

Did 3dcart leave this out or overlook it? Did I miss a setting somewhere?

Sure need to get this fixed so it works properly and we appreciate all who help in these forums.

Thanks,
    Ken
    www.watchbandsolutions.com

If you specify on the software that entering a password is optional you are essentially turning on "Guest" mode, where a customer can check out without creating a customer record.

If you want the system to force the customer to create an account during checkout then you would just tell the system that password is required and that would in essence create an account for them if its the first time checking out, or, if they already have an account then just log them in so that the order is tracked with their account.

I know what you are asking, why not just create a record for the customer with no password, the answer is that a) not secure, that means any user that just knows the email can log in to the account, b) confusing for end user, should customer come back and try to purchase again, this time entering a password, they would be told that a customer account already exists int he system.
    ----------------------------
    Gonzalo Gil
    3dCart Support
    800-828-6650 x111

Comment

Thanks.

In the setting page under 'password required' the little question mark says requiring a password is default and in fact it does force our customers to put something in for a password but it still doesn't put the customer information in the customer database. Does this need to be checked for this to actually work correctly?

I just checked it and saved it. I'll try to place an order and see if it keeps any information in the customer database.

Ken

Comment

Ok, That works to create the customer info in the database, but then it takes away the ability for a customer to checkout as a guest. Many people won't purchase if they are required to create an account.

I don't think I understand your idea about someone being able to log in as someone else if they know an email address. If they don't set up an account then what are they logging into?

Thanks,
        Ken

Comment

Right now the customer view shows all customers that registered. Guest checkout customers are not stored here, you can view all their info from the order. Basically unless they register, there is no physical record of the customer on the database and so that's why it doesn't show under customers->View/Edit.
          ----------------------------
          Gonzalo Gil
          3dCart Support
          800-828-6650 x111

Comment

So the problem is: when they call we cannot search for their information and place another order without having to ask them to repeat all the information they gave with their first order. Also if there is a return it is difficult to find their order without being able to search for them as a customer.
            You can still search for the customer by name using the "Search by Keyword" field at the upper right of your Admin Screen. If they have placed an order, it will bring up their previous order.

Once you click on the previous order to open it, under the "Advanced" button is a "Duplicate Order" option. Clicking this will open up the Phone Order screen with all the info filled out for that person - Billing,Shipping AND whatever items were in their previous order. You would then just edit the order as needed and complete it as a phone order.

OR - if they would like to complete the order themselves online (say if they want to pay with PayPal), you can then go in to "Incomplete Orders" and their order should be there and you can send them the Incomplete Order Email that has the link to their cart.

As for searching for customers with no accounts when there is a return, again, just use the "Search By Keyword" field and their order will come up.

A quick tip though, only put in the first OR last name, not both!!

Hope that helps!
            Jennie

Comment

Thanks, Jennie!

That works perfect. So glad their are smarter people than me on here!!!

You made my day!

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by watchdr View Post
                Thanks, Jennie!

That works perfect. So glad their are smarter people than me on here!!!

You made my day!

Ken
                You are MOST welcome, Ken! I get tons of good advice from others in the forum who know a LOT more than me, so I'm always delighted to chip in when I can. :)

Jennie

Comment

Linking orders to Customer Accounts

Just thought of something else that might be of use to you. When you have a customer come back and order again and THIS time they create a Customer Account, you can assign/link their old order(s) to their Customer Account (so that when you/they go to their account all orders can be seen).

1. Use the Search method I told you about to locate the old order.
                  2. Open the order and click on "Actions"
                  3. Click "Link to a Customer" then follow the instructions on the window that opens.

We do this a lot because I like things tidy! Also because I like to know how many times a customer has placed an order with us. :)

Comment

Hi Jennie,

Thanks again. We will just manually add all customers to the customer list and then we can link their orders. Sure would be nice if 3dcart would fix this so it puts all customers in the list.

Without a password no one can access their info. contrary to GonzaloGil's claim (read earlier on this thread). I uploaded a customer's info from a csv file without a password and guess what? Knowing their email address is of no use. No one can log in knowing their email address. A blank password does nothing. An error is generated telling the person they don't have the correct information. So there is no security issue.

His second reason doesn't hold water either. We have another shopping cart running and it puts all customers in the customer list regardless of if they made an account. Many of these customers are repeat customers and it is not confusing at all for them. Maybe we are lucky and have smart customers and no one else does.? I feel for all of 3dcarts customers who themselves have customers that would not be smart enough to figure this out!

So it is still a mystery as to why 3dcart won't make this happen for their customers sake and ease.

Until 3dcart has enough complaints about this I guess they don't care and nothing will be done.

Again, thanks for your help Jennie.

Ken

Comment

Our other cart doesn't store guest orders as customers either. There's a reason for this.

Guest should not be on any list that could be used for promos/newsletters etc which are populated from the customer list.

People that do not create a account don't want to be on your 'customer list', that's the whole point of guest/anonymous check out. 3D has already addressed this issue by allowing us to turn the guest option off. As mentioned would lose most of you orders if you did (only 10% sign up on our sites). I think that tells you what many people think about signing up.

When you offer 'guest checkout' I believe manually adding them is unethical because you are doing what they did not want done.
                      Last edited by mondo; 08-15-2010, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts. But about being ethical or not I disagree. There is nothing unethical about it. Making our life easier by being able to access their info costs us less and makes serving the customer faster.

Comment

Confused??

Following this thread....I am a little confused...should we set our website to "password required" or not? Will we lose sales if we require "password required" vrs shop as a guest status?
                          Last edited by ctdb; 08-18-2010, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ctdb View Post
                            Following this thread....I am a little confused...should we set our website to "password required" or not? Will we lose sales if we require "password required" vrs shop as a guest status?
                            We do not require a password, nor would I recommend that you should. Many customers prefer to checkout as guests, and will abandon their cart if you require a password. This hasn't ever been troubling to us, because we use our accounting program to track and locate our customer's data. So, if they choose not to create an account, it isn't a big issue for us.
                            Laura Z
                            Brass & Silver Traditions
                            www.brassandsilvertraditions.com

Comment

Working...
                            X